DT McKinley Williams out indefinitely with lower-body injury | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

DT McKinley Williams out indefinitely with lower-body injury

That doesn't happen anymore, player can play in up to 4 games and still redshirt.
That's what I meant unsuccessfully. That he won't play 4+ to get into any DE rotation. I think depending on injury won't play any DE with Jonathon, Berry and Richards all good to go.

This is how I understand it as well. After speaking with a couple ortho friends the fact that he has the scooter means they don’t want him weight bearing which would indicate more of 5th metatarsal or bone type injury (4-6 weeks best case if 5th met). Doubtful that an ankle sprain injury because they usually don’t use the scooter since one can still be weight-bearing with most ankle injuries and not affect recovery. I guess still possible though if want to be overly cautious but not common practice.
This. I’m no doctor. But my wife broke her 5th metatarsal on February 1st. Boot. Scooter.

Recovery best case did not go her way, although she barely avoided surgery as the break just took longer than expected to heal. She was cleared to be weight bearing in mid-June. And still no running and jumping til September.

Now she’s not an elite athlete (anymore), but in good shape.

If this is what this injury is, I’m thinking medical red shirt.

Mimic the GMen from a few years back when they used the "NASCAR" look on the DL.

4 DE's all blitzing:

Alton
Kendall
Kingsley
Berry

That's a formidable group and gives Josh Black and Kenny Ruff breathers.

Mimic the GMen from a few years back when they used the "NASCAR" look on the DL.

4 DE's all blitzing:

Alton
Kendall
Kingsley
Berry

They’ve already shown a willingness to do that by lining up Richards as a “stand up DT” last year during passing downs

Love it!

Offense put up points early and often which makes the other team chase which lets our defense pin our ears back while our ball hawking secondary wipes the drool from their face

It’s almost like there is a plan in place...

It never makes sense to move on OL to DL as a break-the-glass measure.

Elmore makes a little more sense, because at least he's cross-trained at the collegiate level at DT.
Didn't we do that in '92 after the Ohio State loss and have it work out pretry well? I suppose 27 years is a long time, but it's not never.

They’ve already shown a willingness to do that by lining up Richards as a “stand up DT” last year during passing downs

Love it!

Offense put up points early and often which makes the other team chase which lets our defense pin our ears back while our ball hawking secondary wipes the drool from their face

It’s almost like there is a plan in place...
The key to that is not trading scores early. Regardless of how fast and often the offense scores, if the other team scores we can't use the pass rush to our full advantage.

4 DE's all blitzing:

Alton
Kendall
Kingsley
Berry

I think this would probably have to be our strategy unless a couple younger DTs step up.

That group would be fine in certain situations. Add in Richards too. 1st and 2nd down will be key with this team on defense. Need to run blitz a lot and leave our (very good) corners in man coverage early in drives. Against top-tier teams, will probably need to mix it up or hope the DTs are healthy for those games.

Had the chance two years ago to talk to Coach Babers about injuries and he told me that a broken bone is much better than a sprain. Once a broken bone heals it is stronger and sprains can linger for an entire season.
There are some exceptions, but for the most part that's true.

Didn't we do that in '92 after the Ohio State loss and have it work out pretry well? I suppose 27 years is a long time, but it's not never.

It is one thing for a guy brought in as an OL [such as Christian Ferrara, or Ilaoa in the class of 2020] to move to DT, and play there as a long-term shift.

It is another thing entirely to shift an OL on the fly to plug in as an emergency measure at DT, simply because they are big. That's the point I am making.

Not sure what player you are referring to from 1992 -- but the fact that we have to go back nearly three decades to find an applicable example if there should indicate how nonviable / uncommon practice this is.

Who got moved in 92?

Who got moved in 92?
I believe it was James Spencer. We were still running the 3-4, and after getting pushed around by Ohio State, the coaching staff decided we needed more size on the d-line. That's how I remember it anyway.

It is one thing for a guy brought in as an OL [such as Christian Ferrara, or Ilaoa in the class of 2020] to move to DT, and play there as a long-term shift.

It is another thing entirely to shift an OL on the fly to plug in as an emergency measure at DT, simply because they are big. That's the point I am making.

Not sure what player you are referring to from 1992 -- but the fact that we have to go back nearly three decades to find an applicable example if there should indicate how nonviable / uncommon practice this is.
Never said it wasn't uncommon, I agree that it is. You had said never. It may be interesting to see how often it has happened at other schools... at least if someone else did the research. I really don't care enough.

Never said it wasn't uncommon, I agree that it is. You had said never. It may be interesting to see how often it has happened at other schools... at least if someone else did the research. I really don't care enough.
No, what I actually said is that it never makes sense, and I believe that based upon the rationale I've laid out.

Would be a desperation move, at best. We're not at that point.

When all is said and done, the two back up DTs have to step up. Really no other solution. Work on their conditioning, work on their technique, work on their mindset.
Work on their talent

Work on their talent
And we know they are not talented to play? I have faith in them being able to play for a few downs to give the starters a break. Especially with receiving some first team reps

No, what I actually said is that it never makes sense, and I believe that based upon the rationale I've laid out.

Would be a desperation move, at best. We're not at that point.
Ok. It made sense in '92 without an injury. I think it would depend on the background of the player. If a guy played both ways in highschool he could be worth a look in practice. A guy like Steven Clark could have made a move like that, had he come in as an olineman. Are there any guys on the roster like that? I don't know. It seems like we have some back up DT's with the size to play. Hopefully, they can hold there own well enough to give our starters a breather. That's mostly what we need.

I agree that we are not at the point of a guy switching positions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I expect that kind of move, only that 'never' is a strong word and the past shows it has been done successfully, even if it was the distant past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom