Class of 2017 - DT/OT James Hudson III (OH) Transferring from Michigan to Cincinnati | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 DT/OT James Hudson III (OH) Transferring from Michigan to Cincinnati

Yes, he would. Unless he received a waiver for some reason, he would have to sit next year and wouldn't play until 2020.
That's a good point. Maybe he's only a 2 to play 2 then...?

How does the 4 game rule work here in regards to his transfer? If he didn't play in 4 games this year then would he be immediately eligible next year but would lose a season of eligibility this year though because he had already used a redshirt year?

How does the 4 game rule work here in regards to his transfer? If he didn't play in 4 games this year then would he be immediately eligible next year but would lose a season of eligibility this year though because he had already used a redshirt year?

don't think so but good question, I think you are kind of mixing in a little bit of grad transfer rules too, be great if so though

don't think so but good question, I think you are kind of mixing in a little bit of grad transfer rules too, be great if so though

I don't think it's specifically grad transfer rules, we are just seeing it used that way for a guy like Bryant. Believe that if Hudson hadn't used his redshirt already and appeared in 4 or less games this year that he would be eligible immediately next year by making this year a redshirt year. I don't know that for sure though. All of the new rules kind of confuse me. Hell you might be right and I am just mixing different things together.

13th-ranked DT recruit in the country and they moved him to OT. Interesting...
Michigan's defensive line is probably a top 3 unit in the country behind Alabama and Clemson. There was not much room for playing time there I'm sure.

I have to think the "Ohana" mantra resonates with kids who feel they've gotten a raw deal by their original schools.

Agreed and lets face it Dino is just a much cooler dude that 9.5 of 10 college football coaches. He's a bit different for sure. I put Dabo in that category as well, not many more I can think of off top of my head

I don't think it's specifically grad transfer rules, we are just seeing it used that way for a guy like Bryant. Believe that if Hudson hadn't used his redshirt already and appeared in 4 or less games this year that he would be eligible immediately next year by making this year a redshirt year. I don't know that for sure though. All of the new rules kind of confuse me. Hell you might be right and I am just mixing different things together.
no, transfers have to sit out a year. It has nothing to do with whether a redshirt year has been used or not.

General rule: transfers must sit one a season
exception: if there is some kind of waiver (these are usually hard to get but, you know, NCAA)
other exception: Grad Transfers can play immediately if they graduated from the original institution and the new institution offers a graduate degree the original institution did not (this graduate degree loophole is the size of a mack truck)

The red shirt rule just allows a player to play in up to 4 games while retaining that year of eligibility. This can especially come in handy should that player elect to grad transfer down the line.

year 1: play in 4 games, but counts as redshirt
year 2: play
year 3: play, and graduate (with the summer courses these guys take, can be done)
transfer to second institution
year 4: play (no need to sit out a year)
year 5: play (because redshirt in year 1)

As leftytg posted the new transfer rule and the 4 game rule are two separate things. The only reason some grad transfers are using the 4 game rule is to keep their final year of eligibility in tact, they could always play immediately.

no, transfers have to sit out a year. It has nothing to do with whether a redshirt year has been used or not.

General rule: transfers must sit one a season
exception: if there is some kind of waiver (these are usually hard to get but, you know, NCAA)
other exception: Grad Transfers can play immediately if they graduated from the original institution and the new institution offers a graduate degree the original institution did not (this graduate degree loophole is the size of a mack truck)

The red shirt rule just allows a player to play in up to 4 games while retaining that year of eligibility. This can especially come in handy should that player elect to grad transfer down the line.

year 1: play in 4 games, but counts as redshirt
year 2: play
year 3: play, and graduate (with the summer courses these guys take, can be done)
transfer to second institution
year 4: play (no need to sit out a year)
year 5: play (because redshirt in year 1)

Alright, I just wasn't sure if they played less than 4 games and transferred out mid-season how that would work, if perhaps they would then have to sit out a full season or would become eligible mid-season next year or what. It's such a jumbled mess.

they have started to rule in some cases for kids who didnt play that a 2nd yr off was more of a punishment.. much more liberal with allowing kids to play yr 1. if you RS then dont play then transfer you are taking away 3 yrs for a kid.. its still case by case.

I’m aware. Thought it was interesting they both followed quickly after the visit. Looking back I didn’t know they gave out follows like hot cakes.
Probably because he did visit, and is probably narrowing down his decision, they are following him. If they want to communicate with him in DMs they have to follow him and he them.

Probably because he did visit, and is probably narrowing down his decision, they are following him. If they want to communicate with him in DMs they have to follow him and he them.
Thank you for the insight CuseLegacy. I appreciate it.

This isn't Hudfson. Just wanted to share the notification the NCAA sends out to players that are transferring. The change in the process is interesting...at least to me.

Close
DsfusogU8AAzyvs.jpg:large

Previous

Any updates on this kid? Assume he'd want to figure things out ASAP and sign in December, so that he could arrive on campus at his chosen destination shortly thereafter as a transfer.

Would be amazing to complete the quartet from the Louisville weekend and land this former blue chip recruit?

Any updates on this kid? Assume he'd want to figure things out ASAP and sign in December, so that he could arrive on campus at his chosen destination shortly thereafter as a transfer.

Would be amazing to complete the quartet from the Louisville weekend and land this former blue chip recruit?
Not sure who else he's visiting but we made a good impression

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom