Duke at Louisvile | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Duke at Louisvile

I went to bed when they were down 17. I checked Twitter this morning and said they came back from 23 to win. I had to put my glasses on to make sure I was reading the right thing. Wow.

Louisville was a turnover machine.

They looked absolutely shell shocked those last seven minutes. Can't stand either one of these teams, but you have to give Duke credit.

Louisville was a turnover machine.

They looked absolutely shell shocked those last seven minutes. Can't stand either one of these teams, but you have to give Duke credit.

Just went over the PbP over the last ten minutes because I couldn’t believe it. It seems like they turned it over on every possession down the stretch.

ESPNs win probability graph for that game is a sight to behold.

70576642-D0CA-431C-9502-1AAE3114982D.jpeg

Louisville would have won if they went into the stall. They did not.
Precisely. With nine minutes left, you shouldn’t be giving up 35 points. They could have ran out the clock on every possession and given up fewer points.

There’s a reason Boeheim pursues this strategy - it makes some games closer than they should be but analytically you preserve more wins than you lose. It’s a numbers / possession game.

Just went over the PbP over the last ten minutes because I couldn’t believe it. It seems like they turned it over on every possession down the stretch.

ESPNs win probability graph for that game is a sight to behold.
Even when they got cross half court they still turned the ball over too early in the shot clock. Just a disastrous performance. Tough tough loss for Louisville.

Also Cam Reddish is insanely good. Some of the shots he hit - wow.

Precisely. With nine minutes left, you shouldn’t be giving up 35 points. They could have ran out the clock on every possession and given up fewer points.

There’s a reason Boeheim pursues this strategy - it makes some games closer than they should be but analytically you preserve more wins than you lose. It’s a numbers / possession game.

Yep and we have a lot of posters on this board who love Chris Mack. He played a guy who scored zero points and 6 turnovers down the stretch while keeping the ball in his hands while taking the last shot. Nwora never even touched the ball.

Old Dominion is first place in a bad conference. Basically they are the best of bad teams - 83 in NET. It's a bad loss. UConn is 80. Rivalry or not is irrelevant - it's a bad loss.

I get that we should have won those games, but you do realize that there are 353 Division 1 basketball teams. Using the NET rankings, and saying that ODU and UCONN are 83 and 80 respectively, does not hold weight to saying they are "bad" teams. They're actually well above average teams if you use NET rankings. If you're using NET, you should have placed Georgia Tech, who is at 117, above ODU and UCONN, when ranking our losses.

I get that we should have won those games, but you do realize that there are 353 Division 1 basketball teams. Using the NET rankings, and saying that ODU and UCONN are 83 and 80 respectively, does not hold weight to saying they are "bad" teams. They're actually well above average teams if you use NET rankings. If you're using NET, you should have placed Georgia Tech, who is at 117, above ODU and UCONN, when ranking our losses.
Ok. We lost to Uconn, ODU, and GT. The latter two at home. We also got blown out by FSU. At home. We had four losses pre conference.

I mean all of this is fine. Not not that bad. If you’re Seton Hall.

Okay they are all bad losses.

didn't see the game ...but sounds like they packed it in and tried to run out the clock...and it took all of L'villee' confidence away in the process. I HATE the run out the clock strategy - JB uses it A LOT too...and often the margin of victory suffers as a result even though it rarely costs SU victories - still, in this era of NET rankings margin of victory matters and every possession matters - so running out the clock and playing passive is even worse than it used to be - when I watch SU do it - I see the team lose its confidence and effectiveness oftentimes - playing keepaway and running out clock is too passive and has a bad impact psychologically on a lot of players, imo - without confidence, they become shells of themselves and somehow playing to run out clock does that often.

The message for SU is that Louisville is vulnerable to the Trunk Monkey

Yep and we have a lot of posters on this board who love Chris Mack. He played a guy who scored zero points and 6 turnovers down the stretch while keeping the ball in his hands while taking the last shot. Nwora never even touched the ball.

He also had that team down 20 with a few minutes remaining. They were in the same position @UNC and had no problem closing and winning by 20.

Last night isn't losing to UMBC its a case of a team going on a run with 'JUST' enough time left that its very understandable. Teams can score on 8/10 possessions or 1/10 possessions how often do you see a FG drought of 5 mins from us? Happens every couple games.

That is a serious sucker punch if Mack beats Clemson and us the next 2 games I will be extremely impressed with him. Don't expect that to happen but it might. I don't think he has that great talent TBH. But the end of the roster talent at Lville under Pitino was always extremely underrated. The stars were never NBA lottery material for the most part but he went about 12 deep in terms of quality ACC caliber players every year.

He also had that team down 20 with a few minutes remaining. They were in the same position @UNC and had no problem closing and winning by 20.

Last night isn't losing to UMBC its a case of a team going on a run with 'JUST' enough time left that its very understandable. Teams can score on 8/10 possessions or 1/10 possessions how often do you see a FG drought of 5 mins from us? Happens every couple games.

That is a serious sucker punch if Mack beats Clemson and us the next 2 games I will be extremely impressed with him. Don't expect that to happen but it might. I don't think he has that great talent TBH. But the end of the roster talent at Lville under Pitino was always extremely underrated. The stars were never NBA lottery material for the most part but he went about 12 deep in terms of quality ACC caliber players every year.

UNC was over a month ago. They've lost 3 out of 4. A lot of posters here love making excuses for every other team that is never made against us.

It was amazing watching it but really I was left not impressed Duke came back but in disbelief at how bad Ville played the last 8 minutes. I mean no one on their team wanted the ball they all looked scared to death. If 2 guys came for a trap they would either cough it up or if by some miracle they got it over half court they would start throwing the ball over the top opposite just inviting someone to jump it.

Yeah I’m not sure how he was expecting the replies to go.

Yes, they were bad losses for Syracuse, but they weren't bad losses in general, as it relates to the NET. A bad loss would have been to Cornell, who is 200 and would have been a Q4 loss. If i recall, Q3 losses aren't considered "bad" by the committee. That's all I was pointing out.

I watched the game. The Ville was very aggressive and impressive until Puke put on the 2:2:1 full court press. Mack told his team not to settle for 3 pointers down the stretch but they continued to do so.

Louisville chucking up bad 3s early in the shot clock was just stupid. JB would’ve had Tyus sitting on the ball in those spots.

If SU has that big a lead in the 2nd half they'll start stall ball at the 10 minute mark

Good strategy provided you don't have a high knucklehead quotient. Think 2008 Harris/Greene squad.

Mack has done a fantastic job with Louisville this year. He’s taken over for a legend amid controversy, integrated 2 grad transfer guards into the starting line up, had the wherewithal to bench McD’s VJ King after 5 games, etc...

Ville was picked to finish 11th in the ACC and they are currently 5th. He also has a top 5 recruiting class coming in next year. It’s annoying how great it’s gone for them.

That said, he was a deer in headlights last night. He burned his time outs too early and could not stop the bleeding. He reminded me of Tony Bennett a few years ago.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom