Duke at Louisvile | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Duke at Louisvile

What an entertaining and interesting game. Up into the collapse, thought Louisville took a great page out of our victory playbook by pushing the pace constantly. The fact Duke went ice cold from downtown allowed them to blow it open. Then they suddenly transformed into a scared high school team who you literally could not trust to bring it up in court or make a basket. Part of it was they blew too many timeouts early. They only had one to use in the last 5-7 minutes and sure Mack wished he could have used more.

I think they tried to employ JB's stall ball strategy, but started it WAYYYYY too early.

Louisville would have won if they went into the stall. They did not.

I thought they were trying to stall a bit, but it was like not all members of the team got the same memo. They would get it across, the few times they were successful, and then would back out and try passing around, but then someone would take an early bad 3. If you beat the press early, then go get the dunk and foul. But they started too early and then kept compounding their problems with more mistakes.

I gave up on Duke early in the 2nd half. Tuned into the Texas-KSU game since I live in Austin area. Went back to the Duke game when they closed to about 12. One of the all-time choke jobs by Louisville. Played almost perfect ball for 30 minutes and then played like HS kids the last 10.

Yes, they were bad losses for Syracuse, but they weren't bad losses in general, as it relates to the NET. A bad loss would have been to Cornell, who is 200 and would have been a Q4 loss. If i recall, Q3 losses aren't considered "bad" by the committee. That's all I was pointing out.

Right, but as a Syracuse fan I care about what a bad loss is for Syracuse.

Nationally ranked Buffalo and ODU are both first place in their conferences and looking like good bets for NCAA tourney...they might not have the names - and SU could have beaten both teams - but they aren't "bad losses" at all imo - even the Uconn game is a rivalry game and isn't so bad in my eyes (sure it shouldve been a win)

but when I look at who SU has beaten and who they've lost to - I don't see a difference with a lot of teams supposedly ranked higher than SU - some of the teams ranked above SU have double digit losses without a marquee win like @ Duke - makes zero sense to me to hold those few losses so heavily against this squad like most seem to be doing...

Two good teams, but I expect to win against at home.

UConn was a horrific loss though, regardless of “rivalry”. They suck, and we played poorly.

Two good teams, but I expect to win against at home.

UConn was a horrific loss though, regardless of “rivalry”. They suck, and we played poorly.

I'm getting triggered to an unusual degree by posters trying to move the goalposts on this season. Most people expected this to be a top 25 team that was going to be in contention for a protected seed. A few people were triggered because we werent preseason top 10! Now I guess it's OK that were on the 8/9 line and none of our losses are horrible and Actually Uconn in MSG is an acceptable loss because RIVALRY!. I mean its obviously better than last year or 2017 but I mean...

I'm getting triggered to an unusual degree by posters trying to move the goalposts on this season. Most people expected this to be a top 25 team that was going to be in contention for a protected seed. A few people were triggered because we werent preseason top 10! Now I guess it's OK that were on the 8/9 line and none of our losses are horrible and Actually Uconn in MSG is an acceptable loss because RIVALRY!. I mean its obviously better than last year or 2017 but I mean...

Yup. If we beat ODU, Buffalo, and UConn we’d basically be where we hoped/expected to be. We didn’t. Don’t really see what else there is to talk about on that subject to this point?

I think a decent part of the off-season optimism was based on reports of Frank Howard's apparent improvement.

Despite what expectations were we are where we are. What's the point of saying "we should have done better". All we can do is hope for the best possible outcome from this point on and analyze and prognosticate based on the current situation. Whats done is done.

Despite what expectations were we are where we are. What's the point of saying "we should have done better". All we can do is hope for the best possible outcome from this point on and analyze and prognosticate based on the current situation. Whats done is done.

Because it's obvious that we have "no bad losses" and people constantly pointing that out are missing the point.

It was amazing watching it but really I was left not impressed Duke came back but in disbelief at how bad Ville played the last 8 minutes. I mean no one on their team wanted the ball they all looked scared to death. If 2 guys came for a trap they would either cough it up or if by some miracle they got it over half court they would start throwing the ball over the top opposite just inviting someone to jump it.
But, it was fairly impressive how Duke was able to convert. Reddish was unconscious over the last 7 minutes.

But, it was fairly impressive how Duke was able to convert. Reddish was unconscious over the last 7 minutes.
I would guess around half of the 35 they scored in the last 9 minutes were layups or free throws.

I think a decent part of the off-season optimism was based on reports of Frank Howard's apparent improvement.

It was? I think the much larger excitement and expectation was that Battle, first and foremost was coming back. Then, OB, with the anticipation that he would be an improved version of his solid frosh season, and, Hughes was supposedly getting rave reviews, etc. Then, their was Carey coming in, whom some said was a one and done type. So, in regards to Frank, I think people were hoping or anticipating him simply holding serve so to speak. I could be incorrect.

This is right...

Perception can change quickly depending on what we do with this string of tough games. Big games against tough teams mean an insane amount of opportunity. Win a majority of these big games and you can totally change the dynamic of the season.

Please let Frank come out of his funk tonight!!!

Cheers! Here's to raising a toast to no more "it just wasn't our night" sentiments. ;):)

We can expect to see their 2:2:1 press if they fall behind.

It was? I think the much larger excitement and expectation was that Battle, first and foremost was coming back. Then, OB, with the anticipation that he would be an improved version of his solid frosh season, and, Hughes was supposedly getting rave reviews, etc. Then, their was Carey coming in, whom some said was a one and done type. So, in regards to Frank, I think people were hoping or anticipating him simply holding serve so to speak. I could be incorrect.
Certainly, all of those things were part of the calculus. Plus, Brissett, and especially Carey, have been disappointing. But after Howard had such a great leap from soph to junior, and we had reports of his improvement as a shooter over the summer, his being basically a minor factor this season--especially recently--has been the major downside for this year's team (IMO).

Don't forget the amazing 'down-hill abilities' of Jalen Carey. His speed and ability to attack the basket were going to push the team higher and higher.

Well, we've seen how that worked out.

Because it's obvious that we have "no bad losses" and people constantly pointing that out are missing the point.

We weren't on the same page. Due to the past few years being bubble years, when i hear "bad loss" I automatically think about our resume, quadrants, NET, etc., and not what the standard could and should be.

We weren't on the same page. Due to the past few years being bubble years, when i hear "bad loss" I automatically think about our resume, quadrants, NET, etc., and not what the standard could and should be.

Fair enough.

I would guess around half of the 35 they scored in the last 9 minutes were layups or free throws.
I wish we could be as efficient as they were. I think Reddish hit 5 threes during their run.

So after watching Louisville melt against Duke pressure, will JB press Louisville?
Early not after we fall behind by 20?

This is right...

Perception can change quickly depending on what we do with this string of tough games. Big games against tough teams mean an insane amount of opportunity. Win a majority of these big games and you can totally change the dynamic of the season.

Please let Frank come out of his funk tonight!!!
I think he needs to be mad and not think

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom