Duke Forums | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Forums

different kind of complaining. Here, we blame the HC, athletic director, coach's son, asst coaches, players, refs, and fans. The Duke fans are looking for conspiracy theories for why they lost when they're supposed to win every game.
Usually, our sizzling comes from self-loathing, not the "universe is out to get us" posts reflected above.

The complaining can be different, not disputing that; but the takes can be almost equally awful to read from some posters.

Why wasn’t Duke called for over the back at all? Zion would fly in after shooting a missed three and clobber Hughes or Brisset!
This has been going on for a very long time. Duke simply does not get called for over the back like other teams do, period. (Just like UVa doesn't get called for tackling anyone who drives the lane. Just ask the NC State fans, they'll tell you.) The ratio between the number of rebounds they get even though they're totally boxed out and the number of over the back calls is out of this galaxy.

• Syracuse did everything but Shank Duke in the lane and referees decided the game (what were they watching) maybe they should borrow Paschal's goggles - Every fan base looks at refereeing from their own perspective. The orange colored goggles on here sometimes can be laughable also.
  • We were lucky and it was the game of our lives and we will lose by 30 next time - No I think we finally played to our potential.
  • If Tre didn't get hurt we would have lost by 20 - He would have made a difference but...
  • Duke shot badly because maybe Cam Reddish got other people sick (seriously ?) - That's just tin foil stuff
  • Even if just Cam Reddish plays they win by 10 - He didn't .
  • Tre is basically Allen Iverson
  • Howard hurt Tre on purpose because we were losing - That's absurd and makes me angry. Both were going for the ball.

5A1D405A-C864-457F-84A1-9C427ED4F56B.jpeg

• Syracuse did everything but Shank Duke in the lane and referees decided the game (what were they watching) maybe they should borrow Paschal's goggles - Every fan base looks at refereeing from their own perspective. The orange colored goggles on here sometimes can be laughable also.
  • We were lucky and it was the game of our lives and we will lose by 30 next time - No I think we finally played to our potential.
  • If Tre didn't get hurt we would have lost by 20 - He would have made a difference but...
  • Duke shot badly because maybe Cam Reddish got other people sick (seriously ?) - That's just tin foil stuff
  • Even if just Cam Reddish plays they win by 10 - He didn't .
  • Howard hurt Tre on purpose because we were losing - That's absurd and makes me angry. Both were going for the ball.

Agree the last one is what gets me the most angry. To insinuate that Howard intentionally hurt Tre is a joke

Zion got hammered a lot. They could have fouled Chewy and OB out in about 10 minutes. A lot of calls went against us but that wouldn't have made the same difference as our whole front line fouling out.

Let's put it this way, if I was them I'd be furious about the officiating.

Yes, not having key players cost them a chance to win. Yes, it's tough when you only have three lottery picks left. No sympathy from me about that.

Zion got hammered a lot. They could have fouled Chewy and OB out in about 10 minutes. A lot of calls went against us but that wouldn't have made the same difference as our whole front line fouling out.

Let's put it this way, if I was them I'd be furious about the officiating.

Yes, not having key players cost them a chance to win. Yes, it's tough when you only have three lottery picks left. No sympathy from me about that.

Could not disagree more with your assessment. Zion creates much of the contact too and went over the back like 5 times without calls.

To be fair jones leaving WAS huge and so was reddish out

HOWEVER, they still have an elite team and it was a huge win for our team

That’s the thing... it isn’t like they were replacing them with 2-star recruits or walk-ons.

I don't troll but I should when I read their forums as their fans are insufferable. So nobody has to read through them like me I will sum it all up for you

• Syracuse did everything but Shank Duke in the lane and referees decided the game (what were they watching) maybe they should borrow Paschal's goggles
  • We were lucky and it was the game of our lives and we will lose by 30 next time
  • If Tre didn't get hurt we would have lost by 20
  • Duke shot badly because maybe Cam Reddish got other people sick (seriously ?)
  • Even if just Cam Reddish plays they win by 10
  • Howard hurt Tre on purpose because we were losing

The Duke fans are by far the worst fans of college basketball. So glad we beat them.

Every single one of these takes has appeared on our board, except for the Reddish one but that’s ok Couscuse more than picks up the slack in the conspiracy department.

This has been going on for a very long time. Duke simply does not get called for over the back like other teams do, period. (Just like UVa doesn't get called for tackling anyone who drives the lane. Just ask the NC State fans, they'll tell you.) The ratio between the number of rebounds they get even though they're totally boxed out and the number of over the back calls is out of this galaxy.
yeah its also why come NCAA tourney time UVA disappears - once they stop having permission to mug the other team for 40 minutes like they do in the ACC - all of a sudden they aren't world-beaters anymore.

refs have a monumental impact on the outcome of games in NCAA and in turn the entire hierarchy of teams in the sport - much too much, imo.

yeah its also why come NCAA tourney time UVA disappears - once they stop having permission to mug the other team for 40 minutes like they do in the ACC - all of a sudden they aren't world-beaters anymore.

refs have a monumental impact on the outcome of games in NCAA and in turn the entire hierarchy of teams in the sport - much too much, imo.
Nice myth. Someone on board compared the per game foul totals for our regular season and NCAA games and there wasn't a significant difference, 1 or so either way.

Nice myth. Someone on board compared the per game foul totals for our regular season and NCAA games and there wasn't a significant difference, 1 or so either way.
That may be and I don't know why UVa doesn't do better in the tournament but I think the theory still could be true. Maybe the players adjust quickly to the officiating but aren't as good when they can't/don't mug people.

I read a comment on their board that was basically, "I'm so sick of this. We have more talent than them every year and somehow Boeheim beats K half the time. When K going to come up with a plan and not get outsmarted. I didn't see a thread on their board about who would replace K and he should retire the game has past him by though. Kind of disappointing.

That may be and I don't know why UVa doesn't do better in the tournament but I think the theory still could be true. Maybe the players adjust quickly to the officiating but aren't as good when they can't/don't mug people.
I don' think it has anything to do with style of play and just the fact they have lost to MSU twice if I remember correctly when they were on the top 2 seed line and that is probably a bad match up for them. MSU is a good defensive team that plays a similar physical style. They can play the game the UVA way and beat them. The matchup just sucks for UVA. Similar when we play a team like Wisky who has shooters and good passers. We want to play teams with good athletes who can't shoot as well from the deep. Also they lost that game to us that was crazy.

It's kind of crazy that Duke doen't have more depth considering the amount of kids they run off. I think Tre Jones is a good player but the way ESPN was talking you would think he was Pearl or something. Also for the record Alex O'Connell is a good player and had 16 points and shot great. Better then Tre would have shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom