Duke Gameday... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Gameday...

I agree I wish they changed it like how the sixes is. Having a dominant FOGO has to much control of the outcome of games. It's a team sport.
Right, I’ve been a broken record on the following:

If lacrosse leadership isn’t going to alternate possession after a score then go back to 90s era stick requirements (no offset, pinched heads with fishing nets for pockets).

The sport was made to be free flowing, not football-style joysticking of players by coaches.

Lacrosse is boring AF with few changes in possession.

(Get off my lawn)

I get what your saying but even taking into account the massive disparity at the X I find it hard not to be concerned about the defense. Duke hit 12 pipes and Mark (who was absolutely outstanding) had to make nearly 30 saves. Mark doesn't play out of his mind and Duke gets even a handful of the pipe shots they score 20+ easily. The current scheme were running has major issues and clearly personnel is an issue in some spots as well.
Absolutely correct. People are blind to how bad this defense is.

- breathe on playoff prospects. it is still major early. last year, 3 teams got in without even having a top 10 win. and all the bubble teams will have 4-7 losses, including some with "bad" losses.
- you simply cannot keep running a short bench on ssdms. peeps keep saying aviles will be back? trujillo or someone has to be out there more frequently on top of that.
- if you know you're gonna have a fo deficit (or at least getting draws), your best gb guys on wings have to be out there and rotated in a high scoring game. are they? and other gbs prioritized. i'd say riding, too, but that doesn't look like it'll be happening. stealing possessions is key. including backing up shots at both ends and smothering the opponent's gb crew (shutting off the attack) until they get it to a ball handler.

- breathe on playoff prospects. it is still major early. last year, 3 teams got in without even having a top 10 win. and all the bubble teams will have 4-7 losses, including some with "bad" losses.
- you simply cannot keep running a short bench on ssdms. peeps keep saying aviles will be back? trujillo or someone has to be out there more frequently on top of that.
- if you know you're gonna have a fo deficit (or at least getting draws), your best gb guys on wings have to be out there and rotated in a high scoring game. are they? and other gbs prioritized. i'd say riding, too, but that doesn't look like it'll be happening. stealing possessions is key. including backing up shots at both ends and smothering the opponent's gb crew (shutting off the attack) until they get it to a ball handler.

I believe we will be 4-0 in the next games going into Notre Dame hopefully with some renewed confidence too. We can clearly score, I don't believe Hopkins will be able to keep up, even with a significant FO advantage. The other 3 games are gimmies. Although, anything could happen.

Only caught bits and pieces. The bits and pieces I saw...
  • When it mattered most, Syracuse did not shoot quality shots, in fact, they were bad shots.
  • Our goalie 'stood on his head', but when it mattered most, a Duke freshman calmly shot from a bad angle, off a basic movement, nothing fancy, just a calm, well placed, going to the goal, but placed in good position, and it went in.
  • Thought our D was pretty vicious and motivated to stop this more talented and deep team. Again, I did not see all or even most of the game, just when I was tuned in, the D was knocking the hell out of them.
This rebuild was never going to be easy. I hope we are all in at all levels because lacrosse has changed so much.

I could not watch one chunk of the second half live, but there were actually some people saying that this did not deserve a flag?? What part of extended arms with hands separated to a guys head and neck is legal?? And this was supposed to be the reason for a BS timeout makeup call? Total nonsense. Penalty every day and twice on sundays. Not crazy at all to make it non-releasable. So many ways we could have lost by more but a lot of ways we could have won too. Sucks. Still can't believe Hiltz didn't bury that rebound with a minute left.

Last edited:
I believe we will be 4-0 in the next games going into Notre Dame hopefully with some renewed confidence too. We can clearly score, I don't believe Hopkins will be able to keep up, even with a significant FO advantage. The other 3 games are gimmies. Although, anything could happen.

I wouldn't sleep on Hobart. SU is clearly the better/more talented team but Shea their FOGO is outstanding. If he can win 75%+ this will absolutely be a game.

Happy to see some of Fine at the X yesterday but still think we need to get more creative on the wings. Where has Kempney been? If he isn’t ready to contribute on offense stick him on the wing with his athleticism. I agree Trujillo needs more run on the wings too.

One thing that really hurt the team yesterday was a lack of depth at LSM. In year past we’ve been able to run two quality LSM’s. Sageder just hasn’t really shown much IMO. He made a terrible slide yesterday against ONeill. Can any of the backup LSM’s contribute on the wings? Jordan Vincent looked extremely skilled in his tape… I still question if players are being put in their best scenarios to succeed(see Thomson at Midfield rather than attack).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom