Duke Gameday... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Gameday...

Believe Bolea was injured again during the game. Didn’t look good.

Dame didn't see that, hopefully it's not bad were already short with Aviles out

Believe Bolea was injured again during the game. Didn’t look good.
yea i did see that hopefully isn’t bad and just a tweak or sprain. I think he played well in time he had. Think he needs more time and can be pretty solid. We can’t keep using rice and murphy non stop. Will tire then out ware down or worst injury. Need someone else to maby give it shot. Some with O skills can be threat. Mean leadmon and fairman both changed n did very well. So like see gait maby give someone chance maby someone who has some size speed and strength.

Hopefully beat hopkins then get 3 games def should win before real tough part of schedule starts.

But if beat hopkins n duke n unc next time along with princeton. Even if lose to uva n ND i think they have good shot at making it. Think theirs been a lot of upsets guess u say or loses for rank teams already and the real schedules for some these teams hasn’t even started yet. But def need to play full 60mins. Defense needs to start getting the schemes we run and wings need to start getting gbs on Fo. We get dominated in the gb game everytime vs better opponents. Need to really start improving on that.

Not going anywhere until:

1. The offense has at least a year under its belt.
2. They find an ACC caliber Fogo.
3. The get some defensive players who are a significant upgrade from what is out there now (I hope Mark ripped them all a new one in the locker room, they deserve it).

My son would really like a win next week. As he is obsessed with “five nights at freddy” toys and has been asking me last 3 weeks(since maryland game) for a plushy of character. I keep saying will buy it for him if and only syracuse wins. Grant love that he has watched each game with me since asking even tho know it’s only to see if he gets his toy or not. So syracuse beat hopkins my 5yr old really wants his plushy. lol

Two points: 1) why are we so bad at groundballs? Is it coaching or is it the players we have? Seems a lot of it is will, hustle & effort. No? 2) 90 plus percent of mens college lacrosse coaches would have called TO when we got the ball in OT and brought in the box in order to set up a play. Why didn't GG? Is it his arrogance or his ignorance in having so little experience coaching the mens game? As has been said on here Birtwhistle didn't take a great shot but they weren't getting many openings and he thought he had one. Maybe going high would have been better. The coaches have to have a play to call in that situation. It should be practiced every week. Five or so years ago I wrote Wildhack to replace Desko & put GG in that position. Now I'm wondering whether he has it to succeed. Last year he seemed like a disaster, if he coached at all last year, and I've heard that halfway through the season he lost the locker room. I worry it could happen again this year with making boneheaded decisions like not calling the TO.

Does Gait coach during games? During time outs it’s always Petro doing the talking.

I have no idea how FOs are officiated.

Just make it a Braveheart scrum or hockey draw.
When 35% of a particular aspect of a sport requires a penalty - namely face offs - it’s time to change the rules so that players can execute it with more success.

Two points: 1) why are we so bad at groundballs? Is it coaching or is it the players we have? Seems a lot of it is will, hustle & effort. No? 2) 90 plus percent of mens college lacrosse coaches would have called TO when we got the ball in OT and brought in the box in order to set up a play. Why didn't GG? Is it his arrogance or his ignorance in having so little experience coaching the mens game? As has been said on here Birtwhistle didn't take a great shot but they weren't getting many openings and he thought he had one. Maybe going high would have been better. The coaches have to have a play to call in that situation. It should be practiced every week. Five or so years ago I wrote Wildhack to replace Desko & put GG in that position. Now I'm wondering whether he has it to succeed. Last year he seemed like a disaster, if he coached at all last year, and I've heard that halfway through the season he lost the locker room. I worry it could happen again this year with making boneheaded decisions like not calling the TO.
Last year, Gait looked around the locker room and realized he had next to nothing. See any of last year's roster around? Not many is your answer.

I still think we need to mix in some more d guys. Need another short stick dmid even if or when aviles comes back. Boela played n don’t think looked terrible thought should played more. Think we need to play more guys throughout as clearly see dude are tired and then make mistakes n horrible turnovers. As said throw beck or dwan in for spell or two here and there. Also mix in some more O guys like kempney or cordes. Notice duke was playing bunch of guys throughout even towards end of game. Just to save some legs or give breather or even just to give some experience for guys.
Forgot about Cordes. Hasn't played since Holy Cross. Is he injured?

Forgot about Cordes. Hasn't played since Holy Cross. Is he injured?

Cordes is on the 3rd middie line, with Kempney and Tenaglia.

We haven't used the 3rd line since Holy Cross.

Rumor is Bolea might have a torn ACL. Was excited to see him today so that's stinks. We play to much defense as it is due to possessions so another injury is not good. These guys look tired today at the game. This defense actually played ok today there just out there to much. Will Mark today was out of this world. Such a shame they couldn't get this W.

wow that would be killer specially with aviles still out. I agree i think defense not great or perfect of course but think they are a decent d just playing to many minutes with not winning in other areas or poor turnovers on O. Think any defense playing as much as we do gonna get tired n then does down hill from there. Which until can win Fos at 50% think we need to sub our d bit more even the poles. Get fresh legs at time give breather to starters. Did anyone see the post press? Gait talked bout how fO wasn’t good n if johnny could compete would keep him in but wasn’t able to. Then right after kirst got question and mention how hard Fo guys working putting in the time. Also mark said was very proud of his defense. He def looked pissed off in press mark did. Prob at O for not winning it for him n he isn’t wrong.

4 Fo guys on this roster id say start using them all at times. As said before Fo is very odd n can be big with matchups. Ur worst faceoff guy could match up against teams best guy better then ur best guy on team. Or start teaching them if can’t win clamp how to tie up or make it a big scrum but then again we struggle with gbs. Think this team is a solid Fogo plus few other improvement needed from being a real contender.

Rumor is Bolea might have a torn ACL. Was excited to see him today so that's stinks. We play to much defense as it is due to possessions so another injury is not good. These guys look tired today at the game. This defense actually played ok today there just out there to much. Will Mark today was out of this world. Such a shame they couldn't get this W.
I was at the game today. I find it hard to be critical of any aspect of Cuse's effort. I thought the defensive effort was impressive given how much time they were on the field. The defense legitimately deserves credit for a chunk of Mark's saves, pressuring the Duke shooters. Mark had a great game by any measure and was in the zone throughout.

I was disappointed in Gait's post-game comments about the fogos - his tone was overly negative IMO when these guys are busting their butts to improve. It was not diplomatic and not worthy of a head coach.

I was at the game today. I find it hard to be critical of any aspect of Cuse's effort. I thought the defensive effort was impressive given how much time they were on the field. The defense legitimately deserves credit for a chunk of Mark's saves, pressuring the Duke shooters. Mark had a great game by any measure and was in the zone throughout.

I was disappointed in Gait's post-game comments about the fogos - his tone was overly negative IMO when these guys are busting their butts to improve. It was not diplomatic and not worthy of a head coach.

I get what your saying but even taking into account the massive disparity at the X I find it hard not to be concerned about the defense. Duke hit 12 pipes and Mark (who was absolutely outstanding) had to make nearly 30 saves. Mark doesn't play out of his mind and Duke gets even a handful of the pipe shots they score 20+ easily. The current scheme were running has major issues and clearly personnel is an issue in some spots as well.

When 35% of a particular aspect of a sport requires a penalty - namely face offs - it’s time to change the rules so that players can execute it with more success.
I wish they’d make it similar to basketball.

Goalie starts with the ball as if he just made a save. Or make it another player from the end line.

Get the specialization out of the sport.

(Damn you, Bill Tierney.)

I get what your saying but even taking into account the massive disparity at the X I find it hard not to be concerned about the defense. Duke hit 12 pipes and Mark (who was absolutely outstanding) had to make nearly 30 saves. Mark doesn't play out of his mind and Duke gets even a handful of the pipe shots they score 20+ easily. The current scheme were running has major issues and clearly personnel is an issue in some spots as well.

True but if the possessions were a lot closer the game is way different and Duke doesn't get all those shots. Its tough to judge a defense when there on the field so much and the other team keeps getting double ur possessions. Hopefully they figure something out to help because u can't beat a good team giving them so many more possessions. Defense gets worn out too.

I wish they’d make it similar to basketball.

Goalie starts with the ball as if he just made a save. Or make it another player from the end line.

Get the specialization out of the sport.

(Damn you, Bill Tierney.)

I agree I wish they changed it like how the sixes is. Having a dominant FOGO has to much control of the outcome of games. It's a team sport.

My take on the game was silly turnovers and mental mistakes lead to Duke runs.
You’re going to get that with this team, for they are very inexperienced.
This team never gave up and that is good to see.
Gotta look on the positive side and say that this team is definitely growing !!!

I wasn't able to catch the 2nd half live yesterday, but went back and watched the replay. They had a nice start to the 3rd, then had some breakdowns again basically the inconsistency we can expect from such a young team. Honestly with all the negatives people have mentioned, if Hiltz finishes that feed on the doorstep with like a minute left in regulation we're talking about a gutsy win. The possession disparity is going to wear on the defense but lets not pretend Duke wasn't getting a barrage of shots early in the game (what was it 6 pipes in the 1st quarter?) when the defense should not have been tired already. It's hard to see everything watching on TV/laptop but I think the defense stills suffers from what they did last season, when these better offenses really start moving the ball and one guy gets beat it looks like a bunch of guys scrambling around, not quite sure what to do. It's a little scary to think where they'd be right now without Mark in cage. Hopkins is def improved but they will be coming off a tough midweek game against UVA, so hope to see the Orange come out inspired. Think they have a nice stretch here the rest of the month to get some wins and keep improving as they move back into ACC play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom