Duke has two Final Fours in the last 15 years | Syracusefan.com

Duke has two Final Fours in the last 15 years

Cuseball

Starter
Won the championship both times but that’s pretty unbelievable. Every year they are preseason top 5, get a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA’s and have top 3-5 talent in the whole country (if not the top talent). Considering all of the above, this is shocking underperformance to go 2 for 15!

If we get one McDonalds All American we are expected to get to the Final Four or win the title. Imagine this board if we had 3 of the top 5 NBA draft picks ( including Superman Zion) and the best defender in all of college basketball? It’s simply super hard to win the tournament and to even get to the final four.

Cuse!

so since 2003.

Duke 2
MSU zero
Kent 1
Lou 1
UNC 3
Su 1
FL 2
Vill 2
Kan 1
uconn 3

it aint easy to win even for the teams that get the 1-2 seeds all the time

going back to the 80s you find very few non blue bloods winning and most times the non blue bloods have a short window and hardly challenge again

Won the championship both times but that’s pretty unbelievable. Every year they are preseason top 5, get a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA’s and have top 3-5 talent in the whole country (if not the top talent). Considering all of the above, this is shocking underperformance to go 2 for 15!

If we get one McDonalds All American we are expected to get to the Final Four or win the title. Imagine this board if we had 3 of the top 5 NBA draft picks ( including Superman Zion) and the best defender in all of college basketball? It’s simply super hard to win the tournament and to even get to the final four.

Cuse!
2 less free throws a game for them in the tournament compared to overall duke games since 2011 - don't know if that's better teams or different reffing

2 less free throws a game for them in the tournament compared to overall duke games since 2011 - don't know if that's better teams or different reffing
I vote for different refs.

It’s simply super hard to win the tournament and to even get to the final four.

Cuse!
Exactly!

At least 2 and probably all 4 of the teams in the FF this year would be watching on TV had just one play in the Regional Finals gone the other way.

I thought Alex O'Connell should have played much much more this year. He averaged 14 min/game. I thought he should have been out about 20 min/game. He could have been their M.Janulis.
IDK. In the games I saw he and White were the weak points other teams tried to exploit. Both of them yanked up 3s that clanked more often than they connected.

Coach K is so overrated these days. Does he ever get his teams playing better than expected or even meet expectations?
They have a lot of Number 1 tournament seeds. That's impressive in and of itself. The tournament is just a roulette wheel.

Cuse!
And how many times have they played in the NCAA'S in Carolina?

Hasnt won a ncaa champ in four years seems kind of a lame thing to criticize someone for.
considering Duke is basically first in line for every recruit out there...2 final fours in the last 15 years is not that impressive and indeed under-performing...
so since 2003.

Duke 2
MSU zero
Kent 1
Lou 1
UNC 3
Su 1
FL 2
Vill 2
Kan 1
uconn 3

it aint easy to win even for the teams that get the 1-2 seeds all the time

going back to the 80s you find very few non blue bloods winning and most times the non blue bloods have a short window and hardly challenge again
i think some of your numbers are off...you are talking about Final Fours right???

MSU has 5 - 2005 - 2009 - 2010 - 2015 - 2019

villanova has 3 in the last 10 years - 2018, 2016, 2009 - with 2 titles

kansas has - 4

syracuse has 3 including 2003

uconn has 3

florida has 3

kentucky has 4

duke has 3

louisville has 3

Duke sucks - they get every recruit and are ranked top 5 every year pre-season...FOR THE TALENT THAT THEY GET - they under-perform.

I agree that it is harder than it might seem to make a final four - it is even hard for the "blue bloods" - but considering the rep they have and the prestige and spotlight and the amount of top recruits Duke and Kentucky get - their results are pretty weak...

Butler went back to back years and Villanova won 2 out of 3...

i get what you are saying about the window being small and that it rarely re-opens regularly but overall...squads like duke and kentucky should be doing better than they do relative to the field...

Since Duke has turned into a one and done factory, it has been the least successful period of coach Ks career.

Almost every coach would kill for that level of "not succeeding", but the reality is he set the bar high and he's not meeting it.

considering Duke is basically first in line for every recruit out there...2 final fours in the last 15 years is not that impressive and indeed under-performing...

i think some of your numbers are off...you are talking about Final Fours right???

MSU has 5 - 2005 - 2009 - 2010 - 2015 - 2019

villanova has 3 in the last 10 years - 2018, 2016, 2009 - with 2 titles

kansas has - 4

syracuse has 3 including 2003

uconn has 3

florida has 3

kentucky has 4

duke has 3

louisville has 3

Duke sucks - they get every recruit and are ranked top 5 every year pre-season...FOR THE TALENT THAT THEY GET - they under-perform.

I agree that it is harder than it might seem to make a final four - it is even hard for the "blue bloods" - but considering the rep they have and the prestige and spotlight and the amount of top recruits Duke and Kentucky get - their results are pretty weak...

Butler went back to back years and Villanova won 2 out of 3...

i get what you are saying about the window being small and that it rarely re-opens regularly but overall...squads like duke and kentucky should be doing better than they do relative to the field...

He was talking national championships

They have a lot of Number 1 tournament seeds. That's impressive in and of itself. The tournament is just a roulette wheel.

Not saying you're the one who said this, but the goalposts have moved a bit here with Duke. At the beginning of the season we had a lot of posters declaring the season over.

They weren't even the KenPom number 1 team.

IDK. In the games I saw he and White were the weak points other teams tried to exploit. Both of them yanked up 3s that clanked more often than they connected.

Duke deserved to lose for playing White. O'Connell on the other hand should have been in the rotation.

Imagine if JB had Duke's talent?
I have said this repeatedly the last few years if JB had the Duke roster he would do better than K.
JB can coach defense.
Duke’s defense isn’t as good as ours because K doesn’t stress it.
They played zone last year and if JB was there coach they would have done it better.
JB needs the NBA talent K has had to run the ISO offense we run.

Duke was missing a Grayson Allen type player on their team this year.
If they had a Allen or Tyus Battle type SG they would have been more complete.
Reddish and Barrett were both SFs and one of them was out of positionZ
It was Reddish to be honest.
They had no SG on their roster and were forced to play O’Connell and Goldwire there just to have a body.

Duke has wasted all that talent.

I thought Alex O'Connell should have played much much more this year. He averaged 14 min/game. I thought he should have been out about 20 min/game. He could have been their M.Janulis.

Agree, he would have been more effective than Reddish - better shooter and not the turnover machine Reddish was.40 minutes stats have OConnell even a better rebounder.

Duke was missing a Grayson Allen type player on their team this year.
If they had a Allen or Tyus Battle type SG they would have been more complete.
Reddish and Barrett were both SFs and one of them was out of positionZ
It was Reddish to be honest.
They had no SG on their roster and were forced to play O’Connell and Goldwire there just to have a body.

Duke has wasted all that talent.

The team was poorly constructed. With all that talent they needed more shooting. It wasn't an upset that Sparty won. Just with fans and in Vegas. KenPom had Sparty as the favorite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom