Duke superteam? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke superteam?

Well the odds of any single team winning the title before the season is pretty damn low, so the odds are you are correct that Duke won't win the title this year. But they'd definitely be my pick if I had to pick one team to win it this year.
How dare you be objective!

In an era where the most talented teams are often the ones that have the best freshman, you want us to ignore a conference rival with 4 5 star guys coming in? One that won the NC the last time they had a classs ranked this high. That makes sense.

No, the last time the recruited this well was last year. "Superteam" is quite outrageous. They had 3 five stars and one four star last year. One transferred after he was recruited over, and the other couldn't get off the bench last year and now has been recruited over.

There's smarter people than me on this board that said if White committed here we shouldn't automatically concede MSG to them.

The biggest problem with Duke is not the 5 star recruits. It's freakin' Gayson Allen. If that dude was black, he would have been the #1 or #2 pick in the draft had he declared.

No, the last time the recruited this well was last year. "Superteam" is quite outrageous. They had 3 five stars and one four star last year. One transferred after he was recruited over, and the other couldn't get off the bench last year and now has been recruited over.

There's smarter people than me on this board that said if White committed here we shouldn't automatically concede MSG to them.

Using the RSCI rankings, last year Duke had #4/13/14/21, plus they were bringing back Jefferson/Jones/Allen.

This year, according to the latest RSCI, they have 2/4/11/14/35, plus they are bringing back all 3 of Jefferson/Jones/Allen, as well as the #14 and 21 ranked guys from last year. I don't see much of a comparison.

Superteam is probably a stretch, like I said, and there's no reason for us to concede anything to them. But they're going to be a deserving pre-season #1. Which is really all that's worth discussing r ight now.

Using the RSCI rankings, last year Duke had #4/13/14/21, plus they were bringing back Jefferson/Jones/Allen.

This year, according to the latest RSCI, they have 2/4/11/14/35, plus they are bringing back all 3 of Jefferson/Jones/Allen, as well as the #14 and 21 ranked guys from last year. I don't see much of a comparison.

Superteam is probably a stretch, like I said, and there's no reason for us to concede anything to them. But they're going to be a deserving pre-season #1. Which is really all that's worth discussing r ight now.

Number 1 is ok, superteam in the ACC is crazy. All of those guy's won't play. K is like Boeheim. I can't see him going deep into his bench. Who sits?

Jefferson? Kennard? Jones? Jeter?

I am pretty sure we will be a lot better defensively than they will be if they play all the freshman.

How dare you be objective!

I don't know, given the history, the only objective take is probably that how well any one freshman performs -- and how a lineup of them competes -- is a total coin-flip.

And this is coming from someone who's not typically a total SU homer; I'm quick to back up opposing fans' takes when they're getting dumped on by the usual folks.

Subjectively, I could see how people who follow recruiting would be very excited for the freshmen to come in and play with Jefferson and the punk.

LOL. Cmon.

lol I know, I know, but I can't come up with another reason why he wasn't projected as a top 5 pick. Big enough to play NBA SG? Yup, on the smaller end, but still tall and strong enough. Athletic enough? No question. Able to get to the rim? Not ultra-crafty with the dribble, but yeah. Finish? Yup. Shoot? Elite. Pass? Eh, can't do everything.

I know Waiters killed it in workouts which might have inflated his draft position, but I don't think anybody would put Sophomore Waiters on their team over Sophomore Allen.

Number 1 is ok, superteam in the ACC is crazy. All of those guy's won't play. K is like Boeheim. I can't see him going deep into his bench. Who sits?

Jefferson? Kennard? Jones? Jeter?

I am pretty sure we will be a lot better defensively than they will be if they play all the freshman.

Jeter didn't play much last year, I wouldn't be surprised if he sits a lot. And I don't think it'll matter.

You are probably right about the defense. They were a straight up bad defensive team last year. But they will probably be #1 or #2 offensively in the country.

Looks like K and Duke outKentuckied outCaliparied Kentucky this year. Is Giles on par with say an Anthony Davis?

I'm not conceding anything. I'm looking forward to the matchup. At the same time I'm not going to immediately assume our experience trumps their young talent. I think it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I don't know, given the history, the only objective take is probably that how well any one freshman performs -- and how a lineup of them competes -- is a total coin-flip.

And this is coming from someone who's not typically a total SU homer; I'm quick to back up opposing fans' takes when they're getting dumped on by the usual folks.

Subjectively, I could see how people who follow recruiting would be very excited for the freshmen to come in and play with Jefferson and the punk.
I'm with you. It's just that a few were sounding as if it's a guarantee our experienced bigs will manhandled theirs. We can't make that assumption anymore than we can assume that a 5 star guy is a lock to be a superstar.

He's not as good as Davis. Davis was a once in a generation college player.

I mean Giles might end up as good as Davis but I really really doubt it. In the last decade I think Durant is the only guy who gives Davis a run for his money. (Am I forgetting someone obvious?)

I mean Giles might end up as good as Davis but I really really doubt it. In the last decade I think Durant is the only guy who gives Davis a run for his money. (Am I forgetting someone obvious?)

It's been over a decade for Melo.

Giles isn't going to change the game defensively like Davis did. Better offensive player though.

I guess some people could put Okafor as a guy who could "carry" a team.

I have a hard time believing this Duke team will be on par with that UK team 2 years ago. That team was loaded with talent and had a huge size advantage. Duke won't have that size advantage against every team.

It's been over a decade for Melo.

Giles isn't going to change the game defensively like Davis did. Better offensive player though.

I guess some people could put Okafor as a guy who could "carry" a team.

I have a hard time believing this Duke team will be on par with that UK team 2 years ago. That team was loaded with talent and had a huge size advantage. Duke won't have that size advantage against every team.

To me Okafor isn't in the same class as Durant/Davis.

I'll probably get flak for this, but I would put Melo as a slight step down from Durant and Davis as well.

Super team until Lydon and Co. make it two in a row.

p3.jpg

Never gets old.

To me Okafor isn't in the same class as Durant/Davis.

I'll probably get flak for this, but I would put Melo as a slight step down from Durant and Davis as well.

Melo won a championship Durant lost in the 1st or 2nd round. I don't see how you could put Durant's college career ahead of Melo's. Davis certainly I wouldn't argue that, much :). Of course Melo played for a HOF coach and had a better team around him than Durant did but still Melo put up something like 52pts, 25r, 8a in the two FF games. That's pretty epic.

Melo won a championship Durant lost in the 1st or 2nd round. I don't see how you could put Durant's college career ahead of Melo's. Davis certainly I wouldn't argue that, much :). Of course Melo played for a HOF coach and had a better team around him than Durant did but still Melo put up something like 52pts, 25r, 8a in the two FF games. That's pretty epic.

Although you have to give him somewhat of a break, because he played for Rick Barnes, his team flamed out in the tourney big time.

Although you have to give him somewhat of a break, because he played for Rick Barnes, his team flamed out in the tourney big time.

Very true. Barnes could recruit talent but he never was able to maximize it. I expect Smart to build a perennial top15 type squad at Texas.

Talent wise, I think Towns was there, but not college production wise...but he had to sit on the bench half the game and split touches with everyone else.

NBA scouts werent fooled, but that was a case where Calipari's whole strategy backfired a bit. They should've rode him much more than they did.

Talent wise, I think Towns was there, but not college production wise...but he had to sit on the bench half the game and split touches with everyone else.

NBA scouts werent fooled, but that was a case where Calipari's whole strategy backfired a bit. They should've rode him much more than they did.

That and his loyalty to the Harrison twins over Booker/Ulis ultimately cost them the title.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom