Dukie V... | Syracusefan.com

Dukie V...

Yes, he had his pro-Ta(n)t(r)um moments, but overall his usual pro Duke, pro Coach K favoritism was pretty well tempered. He actually seemed enthusiastic for us at the finish.

Yep he was excited about the finish... that seemed genuine despite it meaning his Dookie's lost.

I find his telecasts very overdone and annoying but he didn't seem anti-Cuse at all.

He was fair. Took late in the game to mention our great freshmen with a little nudge. Overall he is always fair to us, and loves JB. Vitale is a legend, and loves the game. Just happens to do a lot of Duke games, and respects their program more than most probably. Maybe because it's probably the greatest in the last three decades.

I feel like I see him a lot less now, so I'm okay with the shtick moreso than a few years ago. He's the crazy old dude now!

I can tire of his love for Duke, but I have enjoyed his enthusiasm for college hoops. He loves a good game and will credit players and coaches for making good moves. Coming out of the half, DV gave a lot of praise to Duke for beating the 2-3 Zone, which they did, and I was growing tired of his Duke Love, but I was impressed that he gave JB and the Orange a lot of credit in the comeback.

Semi-off topic: How can anyone not love a game between the two winingest coaches, especially two who are great friends, have 5 world championships and three Olympic golds!

I thought he was great. He rides the front runner in the game, which until we made our run, was Duke. Once we started playing competent basketball, he was pulling out Pom Poms for us as well.

He touted our freshmen, Thompson and Battle, and kept wanting more from Lydon. It seemed he was analyzing with the sentiment of many on the board.

I also thought he and Ravech played well off each other. Solid tandem.

He took a few minutes to slam 5th year grad transfers though.

SUduke_JessicaSheldonSP-4.jpg

He took a few minutes to slam 5th year grad transfers though.

John%20Gillon_1487825605129_8643795_ver1.0.jpg
True, but I agree with him. I am thankful that it is a rule that we could use to get Gillon and White, but it has turned into something that it wasn't intended to be. But, I don't think there is a way to change it.

I actually think su is his second favorite team. He loves jb
No. N.D is his second team. Kentucky would be third. He only loves us when we are playing Duke so he can talk about how close K and JB are.

the most objective I have heard him while calling a duke game. Nice telecast.
I love Dick V and will miss him when he's gone. Never understood the hatred. How about his " I can't Believe It Carl, I can't Believe It!!" Same exact quote as when Sherm hiked the ball to Stevie. Loved it!!!

True, but I agree with him. I am thankful that it is a rule that we could use to get Gillon and White, but it has turned into something that it wasn't intended to be. But, I don't think there is a way to change it.

Agree 100%. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I love Dick V and will miss him when he's gone. Never understood the hatred. How about his " I can't Believe It Carl, I can't Believe It!!" Same exact quote as when Sherm hiked the ball to Stevie. Loved it!!!

You never understood why some basketball fans get annoyed with him being a blithering caricacture of himself 99% of the telecast, or going off on odd tangents that have nothing to do with the game he's calling?

I can see why people enjoy him, and I can see why people don't like him. But to say that you don't understand why people don't doesn't make sense. He's been a polarizing figure for decades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom