Dumas says Mali Gone | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dumas says Mali Gone

I don't know what will happen, but Mali would be the best player to return since CJ Fair did it in 2012. So it will be rare thing if it happens.

I would argue Lydon is a better and more important player for the team next year.

Regardless, Mal should test the waters.

My guess is agents have been in his and his circle's ears prior to coming to Cuse and with this big run and a stacked class next year, they might be close to getting him to take the plunge and sign. Hope not.

This makes the Mullins interest a lot more important.

How's Mal's relationship with JB? Will he take advice from the HOFer?

As far as the draft, isn't this year the weaker (projected) draft for guards compared with next year? That will be a factor.

I just hope he does what is truly best for him. IMHO, one more year would serve him well.

This would fly in the face of what Jon Givony said after the UVA game. Guess we'll have to wait and see but this would easily be the most head scratching decision any of our early-exits have made.

Mali needs to work on his Defense, put on a few pounds and after last nights game, work on his footwork. Not sure if it was the court or his shoes or what, but he was not as sure footed on his moves as he should be. He needs polishing to ensure a first round selection. Also, it would be nice to see a year of leadership where he leads, takes control early, not waiting to see if the more senior guys are going to do something first.

Obviously, I want him back another year (or three).

I think the key here is to just go for the workout and be assessed to see where he stacks up. That could be a benefit for Syracuse and Mali. Now, if he signs with an agent before being assessed, that would be a dumass decision.

This would fly in the face of what Jon Givony said after the UVA game. Guess we'll have to wait and see but this would easily be the most head scratching decision any of our early-exits have made.
what did he say?

PG: Howard
SG: Battle
F: Lydon
F: Roberson
C: Coleman

F: Moyer
C: Chukwu
G: Joseph
Pretty obvious we are going to add at least one grad transfer, as we have already sent out inquiries to some.

He is gone. Prepare yourselves. When is the last time we had a player come back that had a realiatic chance to get drafted in the 1st round?

And don't give me CJ Fair. He had zero chance to go in the 1st round

He is gone. Prepare yourselves. When is the last time we had a player come back that had a realiatic chance to get drafted in the 1st round?

Who says Richardson has a "realistic chance" of being a first round pick?

I understood the reasoning behind every person who's left early the past 7-8 years, Mali I don't get at all. Testing the waters and getting an evaluation, sure, going balls out and leaving I think is a poor poor move and he'll be leaving millions on the table. Hope for his sake and not even as a Cuse fan this isn't true.

The one I didn't get was Jerami Grant. He could have been a star if he stayed one more year. The rest I understand.

He's not a surefire lotto pick next year. That assertion is ridiculous this far out. This is a stocked recruiting class coming in, there will always be decent Euro's, and there are freshman from THIS YEAR who are ahead of Mal and will be to start next year.

We're going to be a much better team next year if he's back. Draft boards are very influenced by team success.

Other schools have plenty of guys come back who would have gone in the first round. And I would not bet on Mali in the first round this year.

I'm not sure that's going to factor into his decision.

Guys let's also not forget -- Mali is 20 years old, he is on the older side for a freshman, he'll be 21 in January of his sophomore year. Brandon Ingram won't even be 20 until September 2017.

Will this make an impact on his decision? Probably not - but we all know how wacky the NBA is about age

The one I didn't get was Jerami Grant. He could have been a star if he stayed one more year. The rest I understand.

I'll preface this by saying I think he should have come back. However, with sanctions looming, I wasn't shocked. He had NBA written all over him, I figured he would be a little better by now even. That means nothing since I'm not very good at projecting how good people will be in the NBA, but he seemed ready enough to leave. He was just off the charts in pretty much everything you could measure. Still can't shoot though!

Who says Richardson has a "realistic chance" of being a first round pick?

NBADraft.net has him going #17. I think it's the only major free site that has been updated since the S16.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Then again, Grayson Allen is slated for a mid- to late-first round pick on most sites and I don't think he translates nearly as well to the league as Malachi will.

I'll preface this by saying I think he should have come back. However, with sanctions looming, I wasn't shocked. He had NBA written all over him, I figured he would be a little better by now even. That means nothing since I'm not very good at projecting how good people will be in the NBA, but he seemed ready enough to leave. He was just off the charts in pretty much everything you could measure. Still can't shoot though!
Ironically -- let's pretend he comes back. With him and Rak, it's very likely 2 years ago we are a much better team. Because of that, it's very UNLIKELY that we self impose the tournament ban since we would have probably made the tournament (him and Rak would have been killer).

What happens then? Does the NCAA impose our ban for this year and does this run never happen? Does it impose it for 2017 and we lose out on Battle?

NBADraft.net has him going #17. I think it's the only major free site that has been updated since the S16.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Then again, Grayson Allen is slated for a mid- to late-first round pick on most sites and I don't think he translates nearly as well to the league as Malachi will.
The back of the 1st round is very weak...he could go

Mali needs to work on his Defense, put on a few pounds and after last nights game, work on his footwork. Not sure if it was the court or his shoes or what, but he was not as sure footed on his moves as he should be. He needs polishing to ensure a first round selection. Also, it would be nice to see a year of leadership where he leads, takes control early, not waiting to see if the more senior guys are going to do something first.

Obviously, I want him back another year (or three).
It was the court. This has been going on with different players on different teams at different sites the whole tournament. I first noticed it in the first round with two games that went down to the wire. In both cases, the player with the ball drove to the basket and slipped without contact. Then I started looking for it. It happened at least once in every game in St. Louis. Always in the painted areas.

PG: Howard
SG: Battle
F: Lydon
F: Roberson
C: Coleman

F: Moyer
C: Chukwu
G: Joseph
Ugh. 2 shooters at best. We know how that's worked out for us in the past. Maybe JB should announce his retirement this summer and go out on a high note. He certainly didn't seem to think he'd be losing Mali.

On a different note - we either need to start recruiting 1-and-dones as the norm like Duke does... Or go back to the 4-year model of player development. Do you think Duke fans are concerned when their freshmen turn pro? They recruit with the expectation that they won't have their stars for more than 1 year.

Ugh. 2 shooters at best. We know how that's worked out for us in the past. Maybe JB should announce his retirement this summer and go out on a high note. He certainly didn't seem to think he'd be losing Mali.

On a different note - we either need to start recruiting 1-and-dones as the norm like Duke does... Or go back to the 4-year model of player development. Do you think Duke fans are concerned when their freshmen turn pro? They recruit with the expectation that they won't have their stars for more than 1 year.
The 4 year model of player development? Hahaha that means one of two things. Either you are saying that we should start recruiting kids who are simply not athletic enough for the NBA, or you want more chinos and kalebs and baye kietas. Any other way you run the risk of them getting too good too quick and then leaving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom