Dumas says Mali Gone | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dumas says Mali Gone

Ugh. 2 shooters at best. We know how that's worked out for us in the past. Maybe JB should announce his retirement this summer and go out on a high note. He certainly didn't seem to think he'd be losing Mali.

On a different note - we either need to start recruiting 1-and-dones as the norm like Duke does... Or go back to the 4-year model of player development. Do you think Duke fans are concerned when their freshmen turn pro? They recruit with the expectation that they won't have their stars for more than 1 year.

Some of you guys gotta come off the ledge. Relax a bit. The program will survive with or without Mali. If he goes wish him the best and carry on. If he stays even better. But jb retiring bc someone went pro early...cmon

The situation that no one is talking about but that I see as a possibility is that Mal is told by some team " you're not a second round pick, but we promise you a guaranteed salary fortwo years as a second round pick". We might think he's stupidbif he takes that, but honestly I wouldn't blame him-- draft stock is fickle-- there's no guarantee that he'll be a first rounder next year. CJ Fair was a for sure second rounder after his junior year. If he had to do it all over again, I think he'd probably take that and run, especially since it makes it more likely that a team will give him a legit shot and invest in his development.

It was the court. This has been going on with different players on different teams at different sites the whole tournament. I first noticed it in the first round with two games that went down to the wire. In both cases, the player with the ball drove to the basket and slipped without contact. Then I started looking for it. It happened at least once in every game in St. Louis. Always in the painted areas.

Yup. The NCAA insists on putting down its own court with its logo all over it over the top of perfectly good D-1 or NBA courts in all these arenas, and playing every final four in a giant NFL stadium that was not constructed with bball in mind at all. They don't care about the quality of the game or the safety of its athletes at all. Disgusting.

Ugh. 2 shooters at best. We know how that's worked out for us in the past. Maybe JB should announce his retirement this summer and go out on a high note. He certainly didn't seem to think he'd be losing Mali.

On a different note - we either need to start recruiting 1-and-dones as the norm like Duke does... Or go back to the 4-year model of player development. Do you think Duke fans are concerned when their freshmen turn pro? They recruit with the expectation that they won't have their stars for more than 1 year.
And we simply can't afford to wait until kids are in their junior and senior year to be contributors-- not with our scholarship sanctions. Otherwise, even if we plsyit perfectly we'd only have 5-6 guys who could even contribute.

The situation that no one is talking about but that I see as a possibility is that Mal is told by some team " you're not a second round pick, but we promise you a guaranteed salary fortwo years as a second round pick". We might think he's stupidbif he takes that, but honestly I wouldn't blame him-- draft stock is fickle-- there's no guarantee that he'll be a first rounder next year. CJ Fair was a for sure second rounder after his junior year. If he had to do it all over again, I think he'd probably take that and run, especially since it makes it more likely that a team will give him a legit shot and invest in his development.
Absolutely. All it takes is 1 team to love you. I think anyone that has watched Mali throughout the tourney has seen that he is inconsistent, but he has an NBA game.

At the end of the day, his 10 minute stretch against UVA will go down in 'Cuse history -- it was epic. I'll take 1 year with a kid that brought us to the FF than 4 years with a kid who couldn't get us there at all. The worst thing that could have happened was he has a huge game vs. Dayton, but we still lose, and he declares off of that. We don't beat UVA without him, not even close. He can what he wants.

what did he say?

That NBA scouts don't care what he did against UVA. I think he wrote an article about how NBA scouts don't read much into the tournament and that the idea that it changes a player's draft stock is silly.

Edit: At the end of the day, I won't be upset if he leaves. I just think this one would be a foolish decision and I think drafting him in the 1st round would be a foolish decision. To me, he doesn't have a single NBA skill right now. Even as a jump shooter, he's absolutely horrific from mid range and isn't a good FT shooter either.

In terms of his NBA prospects, he reminds me of a less athletic Nick Young/JR Smith.

Last edited:
I'll b shocked if he comes back. If the kid isn't feeling college and gets one nudge he's gone.

How many slots does the nba combine have?

Seems like a million kids will be declaring this year.

That NBA scouts don't care what he did against UVA. I think he wrote an article about how NBA scouts don't read much into the tournament and that the idea that it changes a player's draft stock is silly.

Edit: At the end of the day, I won't be upset if he leaves. I just think this one would be a foolish decision and I think drafting him in the 1st round would be a foolish decision. To me, he doesn't have a single NBA skill right now. Even as a jump shooter, he's absolutely horrific from mid range and isn't a good FT shooter either.

In terms of his NBA prospects, he reminds me of a less athletic Nick Young/JR Smith.
Hard to argue with any of that. You can see the potential for several NBA skills in his game; the shooting, the driving, finishing at the rim, etc.

Honestly if he gets a 1st round guarantee, he should go. He gets the guaranteed contract and gets paid to work on his game. The danger of the non-guaranteed contract is you could end up playing in Europe in a year or 2

All these one and done wannabe players (not anyone in particular) need to scroll through a d league roster some time. Kentucky probably has the most players from any one school in the d league. It seems like every team has one or two recently hot prospect from uk.

The one and done model has proven to be no panacea. I can't think of any of the hot top prospects of this year who I will even remember. Skal labasawhatever from uk may as well have not played college ball. Simmons was an epic bust. I guess Ingram was good, but I was never scared of him when we played them.

Meanwhile, mal and Lydon, 2 under the radar guys, help lead us to the final four. And then unc probably cuts down the nets with a team led by a number of seniors.

Hard to argue with any of that. You can see the potential for several NBA skills in his game; the shooting, the driving, finishing at the rim, etc.

Honestly if he gets a 1st round guarantee, he should go. He gets the guaranteed contract and gets paid to work on his game. The danger of the non-guaranteed contract is you could end up playing in Europe in a year or 2
How much do these guys really get to work on their game if they are not a rotation player?

At this point, nba teams probably never practice. Maybe once a week. How will mal, or anyone, get better by never having practice, never getting into a game, and traveling 60% of the time.

Seems like a one way ticket to the d league or Europe for these guys that can't crack the rotation.

I wouldn't be mad if he went. I think he will be a good NBA player and I'd take him mid-late first round without hesitation.

It's just really getting frustrating that the second one of our freshman players gets a 1st Round Grade they're gone, meanwhile UNC has a senior Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige.

Id say UNC is the team we most recruit like. We don't get the Top 10 players Duke gets and we don't recruit smaller quicker players like Louisville. Much like UNC, we recruit long, athletic Top 50 players. That's a recipe to being a good/great team year in/year out but unlike UNC, our players bolt after one year while they have an arsenal of upperclassmen.

Best case scenario for us, is he goes to the combine and goes through the process without signing an agent, gets ALL the hype, do it all, and then have a dramatic announcement stating he is coming back to SU. This would bring he and the program a ton of attention and hype him up for next year. Selfishly, I want him back, but hopefully whatever decision he makes, it works out the best for him.

Yup. His %s are really not good at all for a "shooter". Nick Young has been the guy he reminds me of too. Nick Young played 3 years of college ball and shot 53% from the field and 44% from 3 as a junior.

Malachi needs to shoot the ball more consistently, and add a floater or mid range pull-up J, continue to improve his ball handling and driving ability...which is coming, but he still travels a lot. There's a lot to tighten up.

I wouldn't be mad if he went. I think he will be a good NBA player and I'd take him mid-late first round without hesitation.

It's just really getting frustrating that the second one of our freshman players gets a 1st Round Grade they're gone, meanwhile UNC has a senior Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige.

Id say UNC is the team we most recruit like. We don't get the Top 10 players Duke gets and we don't recruit smaller quicker players like Louisville. Much like UNC, we recruit long, athletic Top 50 players. That's a recipe to being a good/great team year in/year out but unlike UNC, our players bolt after one year while they have an arsenal of upperclassmen.

I'm not sure about Brice, but I'm pretty positive Paige never received a first round grade, so I'm not sure he's really the example you should be using.

I'm not sure about Brice, but I'm pretty positive Paige never received a first round grade, so I'm not sure he's really the example you should be using.
I more mean they are the same type of athlete that we recruit. It's not a Louisville or UConn situation where they have awesome seniors due to the fact they don't have NBA measurables.

Sports fans, you might need to get some Tums on hand or something, because every single player that's good at all should be open to getting NBA feedback. It's basically a job fair. I'm not sure a lot of you are prepared to stomach it.

Sports fans, you might need to get some Tums on hand or something, because every single player that's good at all should be open to getting NBA feedback. It's basically a job fair. I'm not sure a lot of you are prepared to stomach it.
Wait until they find out Howard is declaring.

OttoinGrotto said:

Yup, one of these years a team may head into the next season with a very small roster.

All true. UNC players all seem to stay a year longer than those same players would stay here. Ellington and Lawson stayed until juniors and it resulted in a title. Barnes was the #1 hs recruit yet stayed for his sophomore year. That doesnt happen here.

I'm convinced Roy has a hand in his players staying longer than they would at other schools

All true. UNC players all seem to stay a year longer than those same players would stay here. Ellington and Lawson stayed until juniors and it resulted in a title. Barnes was the #1 hs recruit yet stayed for his sophomore year. That doesnt happen here.

I'm convinced Roy has a hand in his players staying longer than they would at other schools

The incentive package must be attractive. :)

I believe he did after his Soph year. It was pretty surprising he came back. The debate about who was a better pro prospect between he and Ennis was pretty strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom