During all these years | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

During all these years

Post-Melo -- for me it was CJ Fair and Dion Waiters. Both lived up to the billing.

I wasn't as excited about Harris, after watching him play. Was worried about his lack of perimeter game for a player that size. Fwhatmancuse -- who rarely posts -- was spot on about Flynn being the much better component of that package deal.

To a lesser extent, I was excited about Frank and Battle. Both met my expectations.

VERY excited about Bazley -- I think he has a great chance to be the best recruit since Melo, and the next great player in ORANGE.
Watching Paul Harris live ay Nd Prep was definitely a good time but had same thoughts. Still think Nichols was a great player and the kid year after next from St. Andrews looks nice.

1. Pearl - announced on national TV, put SU on the map nationally
2. Coleman and Melo
3. Owens

*Dave Bing has to be on any SU list (picked SU over UCLA and John Wooden) - before my time.
Yes...the right players in the right order.
It's easy to overlook how important Pearl was to the program and to the Big East.

Billy O.
Co-number 1 recruit with Alonzo Mourning.

Most probly don’t remember that we had never beaten Big John at their place. Until the 1990 game at the Cap Center. Billy and DC dunking all over Zo and Motumbo. Billy had 36.

What ? Nobody mentioned the greatest recruit to never actually play for us ?

Winifred Walton was the real deal and would have lead us to glory

the great thing about landing billy owens was that he was not asked or even expected to carry the program as a frosh.
he very graciously joined a great cast of players and accepted a subordinate role. nowadays that wouldn't happen.

honestly I used to get excited about the recruiting process a lot more, when we had some great folks on here who used to go to ABCD camps and Nike Elite tournaments back in the day to report who we were chasing and how they fit in our system, etc. Just seeing how many stars and a kid's youtube highlight reels, doesn't impact me the same way, so I have a hard time getting too excited about a recruit these days until they step on campus and we get practice reports.

You know we still have all this, right? The recruiting board is chock full of the type of reports and intel you are talking about.