Early departures | Syracusefan.com

Early departures

SBU72

All Conference
Taking Melo's leaving after his freshman year as a given, in your opinions, which other early departures hurt SU the most? If you want to break it down more, leaving for the pros and transfers.

Now fantasize, how well would SU have done if Melo stayed 4 yesrs. About three years after he left, Sports Illustrated did a huge article on this including all schools who suffered early departures. If i remebered correctly, SU did really well. And I think that included having LaBron James going to SU for some reason.

It’s one thing to take a kid knowing he’s a one and done because you can kind of plan for the following year.

our biggest issue is kids leaving early that we didn’t anticipate doing so when we recruited them. The biggest example of this is Tyler Ennis. Him leaving early combined with the sanctions hurt bas and effected us for years.

also, LeBron was never coming here

It’s one thing to take a kid knowing he’s a one and done because you can kind of plan for the following year.

our biggest issue is kids leaving early that we didn’t anticipate doing so when we recruited them. The biggest example of this is Tyler Ennis. Him leaving early combined with the sanctions hurt bas and effected us for years.

Probably not, but Kevin Johnson was an advisor of his if I remember correctly and I think that's where the idea that he might come here came from.

Richard Manning. He was a fine player. but that isn't why he comes to mind.

He was the one who sang like a canary to the NCAA.

#looselipssinkships
#nevertakesidesagainstthefamily
#yourmustachewasanembarrassment

I only mentioned it because it was part of the SI story. Now I tried to find the article but I'm not good at Google searches. I did find a 2005 SI story about possible super teams if colleges never lost early departures. Ohio St was listed with LaBorn.

I did find a 1996 story about the possible death of college basketball because of departures from 1996. That year 37 kids left early and guys like Pitino and Vitale were all crying over it.

LeBron has stated many times that if he went to college it would have been Ohio State.

Chris McCullough-shortened fr season

And guys that never showed up since 2014, Darius Bazley, Moustapha Diagne

McCullough would’ve been awesome to see healthy in orange...

Chris McCullough leaving was tough I thought he would have been all league if he came back.

Taking Melo's leaving after his freshman year as a given, in your opinions, which other early departures hurt SU the most? If you want to break it down more, leaving for the pros and transfers.

Now fantasize, how well would SU have done if Melo stayed 4 yesrs. About three years after he left, Sports Illustrated did a huge article on this including all schools who suffered early departures. If i remebered correctly, SU did really well. And I think that included having LaBron James going to SU for some reason.
I mean, Billy Owens was arguably the best players in CBB as a junior. Gimme one more year there, please!

The next year (1991-92), we "only" went 22-10 (10-8), but we won the Big East Tourney and it took a rook job by the NCAA for us to be eliminated in OT by a 30-5 UMass team in Worcester.
With Billy, we lose 5-6 games and are a prime FF threat.

Yeah. Ennis.
Never a big fan of Ennis. To me he represents the beginning of the "walk the ball up court " offense that has been the bane of the team since then. When I saw the team move the ball up court and work the ball quickly at the beginning of year (preseason) I was encouraged. Hasn't worked out so well but they still get up court faster than previous years.

I mean, Billy Owens was arguably the best players in CBB as a junior. Gimme one more year there, please!

The next year (1991-92), we "only" went 22-10 (10-8), but we won the Big East Tourney and it took a rook job by the NCAA for us to be eliminated in OT by a 30-5 UMass team in Worcester.
Owens with Dave Johnson and a fr Moten would have been quite a trio, plus Autry at PG, Conrad at C

Richard Manning. He was a fine player. but that isn't why he comes to mind.

He was the one who sang like a canary to the NCAA.

#looselipssinkships
#nevertakesidesagainstthefamily
#yourmustachewasanembarrassment
wasn't it John karpis and George papadakis?

That 92 year we were suppose to be bad but Moten came out of nowhere. Imagine an Aurtry, Moten, Johnson, Owens, McCrae team with Hopkins coming off the bench. That team would have been great.

Mark Konecny
No. It really was john Karpis and George papadakis that hurt us with the NCAA. Karpis was suppose to play for a all star team at syracuse and didn't show up.

No. It really was john Karpis and George papadakis that hurt us with the NCAA. Karpis was suppose to play for a all star team at syracuse and didn't show up.

I thought he transferred to BU.

Never a big fan of Ennis. To me he represents the beginning of the "walk the ball up court " offense that has been the bane of the team since then. When I saw the team move the ball up court and work the ball quickly at the beginning of year (preseason) I was encouraged. Hasn't worked out so well but they still get up court faster than previous years.
Whether or not you particularly liked the style, we had no competent point guard throughout the rest of what would have been the remainder of his four-year stay.

I was a Matt Roe detractor at the time he transferred. Shame on me. How great would his SU-career 43% from three have been on that 1989-90 team which was loaded with everything except shooters.

Roe might've flipped a couple of SU's regular season losses. Maybe the Orangemen get a #1 seed in the East, IF they win what was a close BE Final against UConn. Maybe Matty on board gets SU to a Final Four? Not sure they would have beaten UNLV under any circumstances. But they probably wouldn't have fallen well short, especially to a team like the Golden Gophers.

I was a Matt Roe detractor at the time he transferred. Shame on me. How great would his SU-career 43% from three have been on that 1989-90 team which was loaded with everything except shooters.

Roe might've flipped a couple of SU's regular season losses. Maybe the Orangemen get a #1 seed in the East, IF they win what was a close BE Final against UConn. Maybe Matty on board gets SU to a Final Four? Not sure they would have beaten UNLV under any circumstances. But they probably wouldn't have fallen well short, especially to a team like the Golden Gophers.
I am glad you've finally accepted responsibility for that season. Been a long time coming.

It would have been fun to watch the 89-90 team with an experienced point guard like Earl Duncan. We were loaded but Stevie wasn't suited to be a PG and Edwards wasn't ready or good enough.
Does a never made it count as an early departure? I wonder what life would have been like if Winfred Walton had been able to play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom