Early Signing period | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Early Signing period

How do so many kids get eligible to sign so early yet havent graduated? dont any of them have classes they have to pass still?
If they meet the number of credits, required by the NCAA, and gpa. Many kids have the credits by their junior year, or just need a class, or two. This, in part, is what the NCAA clearing house figures out. Most kids that have been taking college prep/ honors, could probably enroll early, as well.

where does that happen? my kids didnt get accepted until mid spring which is typically after most schools have stopped reporting grades.
Ha, I get that. I think your question wasn't fully baked, thus my sarcastic answer. I'll try to answer what I assume is your question based on your response...

They can sign in the Dec period or in the Feb period, assuming the school will accept their LOI. Most of the kids signed during this period will have achieved SAT/ACT scores high enough that when coupled with their current academic standing (GPA) should be qualifiers without much concern. They still have to fulfill their requirements, but it should be moreso a layup.

Schools no longer can oversign classes. In the past, they were able to sign 25+ students because they weren't penalized for a kid not reaching campus. With the new rules, if an LOI is accepted by the school, that player counts as one of the max 25 a school can accept, regardless of outcome. Some players will be risky from an academic standpoint, so each school will have to evaluate and determine how important it is to have them sign early v. waiting so they can work out their academic issues.

Timing of signing the LOI has no bearing on when the student enrolls, be it Jan or Aug. That is determined by the student meeting the NCAA clearinghouse requirements. In other words, a student signing in Dec may not meet the enrollment requirements before the Jan enrollment period and thus will have to wait to enroll in the fall semester.

Hope that helps.

How about the good kid of surprises? Like the 'holy crap I didn't even know he was considering us' dude that signs and we all freak out...any of those in play?

I’m being a little spoiled, but Xtreme, will you be updating fishes and loaves to separate the signed NLI from the verbals?

While I love the early signing period and how it helps the non factories retain some of the kids that would later get poached.

I get the feeling that a lot of kids that don't necessarily have stellar grades will get left out or neglected because of the rule change that they can't or aren't allowed to sign a NLI by the schools.

Am I nuts in thinking that?

So lets say a kid that doesn't have the grades YET isn't allowed to send his NLI to his school of choice because they get penalized later if he doesn't qualify. IF he does later qualify, his spot and a lot of other spots will be gone.

Your description of Saban is funny as it is very similar to how my sister described Coach P at social gatherings when they lived in Texas. Jill is the outgoing one. Coach P only if the discussion was about football.

I think Jill asked Paul out if I remember correctly. Gotta love those take charge kinda girls from JD!

While I love the early signing period and how it helps the non factories retain some of the kids that would later get poached.

I get the feeling that a lot of kids that don't necessarily have stellar grades will get left out or neglected because of the rule change that they can't or aren't allowed to sign a NLI by the schools.

So lets say a kid that doesn't have the grades YET isn't allowed to send his NLI to his school of choice because they get penalized later if he doesn't qualify. IF he does later qualify, his spot and a lot of other spots will be gone.

I think this is true, but I doubt there will be a whole lot of sympathy for kids who don't take care of business academically. You'd hear a whole lot of "it sends the wrong message" type reasoning to make exceptions for them. I think we'll see some lower level programs take risks on these kids, or we'll see more kids who ultimately qualify go to 1 year of JUCO or prep and try again for a bigger program the next year.

EDIT: Of course I have no idea how the "academic redshirt" works or applies here

Seems right to me.
Maybe this will end up elevating the level of talent at prep schools/community colleges and we'll see an uptick in junior college transfers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom