Easiest P5 Schedule in 2020? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Easiest P5 Schedule in 2020?

Looks like he has a bone with the ACC. But maybe he knows Duke doesn't want to play and the ACC will then shut it down
This was so well played! Bravo!!!

If you averaged the last 25 years or so, SU would sit pretty high in average schedule strength. Higher than most of our peers. If we get a break this year, well, we could use it. And that’s why averages are used. But frankly, I don’t put much stock in SOS rankings 6 months ahead of the first games.

Yes, because doing things that worked over SIX DECADES AGO, is sure to work today. :rolleyes:

Why are you even here?
Shouldn't you be playing with your slide-rule? ;)
Ben didn't have no interwebs!!
Well, if we beat cream puffs, in actuality, aren't we a cream puff? Didn't most here think that when Rutgers was at their peak and even ranked in the top 15, that it was Bogus? I mean they played a few cream puffs to get there right? So it's obvious, they didn't deserve it.

Well, if we beat cream puffs, in actuality, aren't we a cream puff? Didn't most here think that when Rutgers was at their peak and even ranked in the top 15, that it was Bogus? I mean they played a few cream puffs to get there right? So it's obvious, they didn't deserve it.

But, history shows their record as their record.

(and there’s not a HUGE asterisk next to it, stating that all they did was beat cream puffs.)

“You are what your record says you are”
-Bill Parcells

And based on winning a lot of games, and being ranked, perception of Rutgers was that they were “good”, and it was enough to get Shady a Pro gig.

Our BEST pre-Dino team - by far - was 2012.
But, instead of being ranked, and maybe making a big bowl game, DOCTOR Gross stupidly scheduled them into the ground with their OOC slate, so we had to wait til ‘18 to finally break that streak of unranked seasons.

Last edited:
DOCTOR Gross stupidly scheduled them into the ground with their OOC slate

Our SOS in 2012 was 45. We went 0-0 against the Top 10 and 1-1 against the Top 30. It was a very ordinary and manageable schedule against a ton of average teams.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 9.49.25 AM.png

Our SOS in 2012 was 45. We went 0-0 against the Top 10 and 1-1 against the Top 30. It was a very ordinary and manageable schedule against a ton of average teams.

View attachment 178819

Yeah, because playing FOUR P5 games OOC is “manageable” :rolleyes:

Northwestern
USC @ Met Life
@ Minne
@ Missouri

2 away, 1 ‘neutral’, 1 home.
We went 1-3 in the OOC.

BRILLIANT!! :confused:

Imagine if that was just 1 P5, and 3 tomato cans?
You know - like pretty much every other sane team schedules?
8-5 is now 10-3.

Yeah, because playing FOUR P5 games OOC is “manageable” :rolleyes:

Normally no, but when combined with the weakest Big East conference schedule in history (the one year that WVU was replaced by Temple) it translated into an average overall schedule. We went 8-5 against an average difficulty schedule. It's just not a big deal.

At HT of the maryland I escaped the sun in the covered concourse area. Everybody looked stunned.

too bad we couldnt have reversed the schedule, the oline was at least avg and Maryland was awful.

Have you looked at our record over the past 17 seasons? We should have a SOS that is commensurate with that reality.

Have you looked at our record over the past 17 seasons? We should have a SOS that is commensurate with that reality.
You may get what you wish for! And then again sometimes those cream puffs have sharp teeth and may apply them to the seat of our pants.

You may get what you wish for! And then again sometimes those cream puffs have sharp teeth and may apply them to the seat of our pants.
Umm...good one, bill

Taking a step back and taking last years results and emotion out of it... what’s our second toughest game? The opener?

No wonder we tipped this list.

IF Rutgers was playing out schedule this year this board would be howling.

Taking a step back and taking last years results and emotion out of it... what’s our second toughest game? The opener?

No wonder we tipped this list.

I think Louisville and @ Pitt worry me more than BC. WMU even. I really dont know what to expect from BC.

Satterfield is a hell of a coach and I feel he overachieved in his first year at Lou. They're bringing back about 80% of their starters from last year as well. After last year I'd just be happy to see Louisvilles punt unit take the field...

Never know what you're going to get with Pitt/Cuse but we'll be in their house after they've been on the road for 3 of 4. Not to say Heinz field is really that intimidating.

One that sticks out to me is @WMU. The last two years have really been a lot closer than the score has indicated. Road MAC game can present trouble for any P5 squad and WMU didnt lose at home last year.

I think Louisville and @ Pitt worry me more than BC. WMU even. I rrally dont know what to expect from BC.

Satterfield is a hell of a coach and I feel he overachieved in his first year at Lou. They're bringing back about 80% of their starters from last year as well. After last year I'd just be happy to see Louisvilles punt unit take the field...

Never know what you're going to get with Pitt/Cuse but we'll be in their house after they've been on the road for 3 of 4. Not to say Heinz field is really that intimidating.

One that sticks out to me is @WMU. The last two years have really been a lot closer than the score has indicated. Road MAC game can present trouble for any P5 squad and WMU didnt lose at home last year.

I feel ya extending WMU has always felt like playing with fire. But for whatever reason we are good head to head with the MAC last decade and play better on the road than Dome.

I was at the Ville game I think the two teams are close friggen Riley mufffing that punt. I'm expecting a flipped script like BC.

I love the timing of the Pitt game. If we are having a special year I don't see a 5-6 Pitt team derailing it. If we aren't we'll lose like we usually do. Pitt never puts it together despite being in the weak ass coastal and having our number you can safely assume that they are not going to be on more than 6/7 wins at that point.

Would this be year 1 of Wisconsin if the two programs hadn't cancelled? Going to camp Randall vs Ypsilanti would be great.

If you want to be the best, you have to play the best!
Consistently good, not occasionally great. Lets walk before we run. (Apologies if others said this and I just have not gotten there yet. I am actually working harder from home).

The difference between beating cream puffs and being a cream puff is the Schiano could only beat cream puffs. His record against respectable teams was dismal. Even his one highlight/signature victory was tainted by the fact he flopped the next week. Another fact is that his/Rutgers' signature bowl victory is a consolation bowl.

At least VATech began beating mediocre teams with regularity. Rutgers and Schiano never attained level of play.

Every team plays cream puffs. Cream puffs will beat cream puffs. SU has a history of playing and winning big games. Big games are big games unless both teams take care of business beating the cream puffs and mediocre teams. HCDB and walking before running.

The difference between beating cream puffs and being a cream puff is the Schiano could only beat cream puffs. His record against respectable teams was dismal.

He went 5-1 in bowl games, which were many of the same ones that we have played in recently... Insight, Texas, Pinstripe.

He went 5-1 in bowl games, which were many of the same ones that we have played in recently... Insight, Texas, Pinstripe.
Agreed, but none were high profile wins. The original claim was that we are only cream puffs if we beat cream puffs. By that logic, Bama, LSU, Clemson, literally every team is a cream puff because they beat a cream puff.

To your point, SU's recent history is not overly impressive, however, HCDB already has signature wins of much more significance than Rutgers and Schiano. It's fair to say that Schiano started at the bottom of the barrel as soon HCDB. In 11 years Schiano has a +1 victory margin. HCDB is -3. In four years, HCDB has more significant wins than Schiano had in 11 years. Schiano's record is built solely on victories over cream puffs. Schiano's best bowl victory does not match HCDB's bowl victory.

We're both allowed our own points of view, but if you want to change my mind and about Schiano, you will need to dig deeper than the surface. I am willing to consider further arguments, but this topic has been discussed at length and the facts are well established, it is likely a tough row to hoe.

Agreed, but none were high profile wins. The original claim was that we are only cream puffs if we beat cream puffs. By that logic, Bama, LSU, Clemson, literally every team is a cream puff because they beat a cream puff.

To your point, SU's recent history is not overly impressive, however, HCDB already has signature wins of much more significance than Rutgers and Schiano. It's fair to say that Schiano started at the bottom of the barrel as soon HCDB. In 11 years Schiano has a +1 victory margin. HCDB is -3. In four years, HCDB has more significant wins than Schiano had in 11 years. Schiano's record is built solely on victories over cream puffs. Schiano's best bowl victory does not match HCDB's bowl victory.

We're both allowed our own points of view, but if you want to change my mind and about Schiano, you will need to dig deeper than the surface. I am willing to consider further arguments, but this topic has been discussed at length and the facts are well established, it is likely a tough row to hoe.

I'm not comparing Dino and Schiano. I was simply responding to your point that "Schiano could only beat cream puffs." That's just not true looking at his record. In 2006 they beat Louisville who went on to finish 12-1 and #6 in the country. In 2007 they beat South Florida who was #2 at the time. In 2008 they beat a Top 20 Pitt team. They beat the non-cream puff 2011 Syracuse team in the Dome who went to stomp #15 WVU a week later. And again, they won 5 different low-mid level bowl games against non-cream puffs.

And to be clear, I can't stand Schiano.

I'm not comparing Dino and Schiano. I was simply responding to your point that "Schiano could only beat cream puffs." That's just not true looking at his record. In 2006 they beat Louisville who went on to finish 12-1 and #6 in the country. In 2007 they beat South Florida who was #2 at the time. In 2008 they beat a Top 20 Pitt team. They beat the non-cream puff 2011 Syracuse team in the Dome who went to stomp #15 WVU a week later. And again, they won 5 different low-mid level bowl games against non-cream puffs.

And to be clear, I can't stand Schiano.
I replied to a comment stating that a team that beats cream puffs is a cream puff. I used hyperbole*, not an uncommon tool in writing, especially on fan sites.

You took it in a completely different direction. I played along to distinguish the differences. Now you have identified four quality wins in 11 years, or 135 games (68-67). If you prefer, we can do a full analysis of Schiano's record, though it has been completed before. As well as the fact that Schiano never won a Big East title outright. It may be safe to say we have different standards.

If you wish to continue defending Schiano or to take hyperbole as literal, have at it.