Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

18-19 #4 conf in Net
19-20 #1 conf in Net
20-21 #4 conf in Net
21-22 #4 conf in Net
22-23 #4 conf in Net

What's your metric that shows the BE sucked?
I'm not referring to any metrics. Just because you found some that supports an argument doesn't mean you're right. And Cooley won 18, 19, 13, 27 and 21 games over that stretch. I'm not saying the BE sucks -- this in particular was a good year in the BE. BE is an OK conference.

I can't believe Providence was paying him 4.5 million. I know the last couple years truly sucked, but JB really took a below market value salary for a longgg time.
That salary for Providence rather proves that he wasn’t “one of them” unless they guaranteed him big $. He’s just like 99.9% of coaches. We have had the benefit of the .1%.

Yeah, $2.5M is the absolute lowest for any desirable, established high-major coach with experience.

Cooley probably had a lot of leverage even though he wasn't as accomplished as his peers because of the perception of the Providence job.

I'm not referring to any metrics. Just because you found some that supports an argument doesn't mean you're right. And Cooley won 18, 19, 13, 27 and 21 games over that stretch. I'm not saying the BE sucks -- this in particular was a good year in the BE. BE is an OK conference.

It doesn't matter honestly but my point was outside you saying it- nothing really supports that comment about Cooley. Again doesn't matter.

“Just because you found metrics that support your argument doesn’t mean you’re right”

He says while not providing any evidence that the other poster is wrong.

“Just because you found metrics that support your argument doesn’t mean you’re right”

He says while not providing any evidence that the other poster is wrong.
My original post was an opinion. Discard it, by all means

Never understood why ppl wanted Cooley to come here. 1 sweet 16 in 12 years with Friars. Team last year that did go also had a ton of luck looking at the metrics in regular season

Never understood why ppl wanted Cooley to come here. 1 sweet 16 in 12 years with Friars. Team last year that did go also had a ton of luck looking at the metrics in regular season

He did a lot with a program that for 40 years very few have been able to except Pitino with that FF. It's not a program you can point to him only getting one sw 16 and chuckle at. After Gavitt it was Pitino.. and then Cooley when you look at those successful. Welsh was decent but still not good enough to beat the odds.

He did a lot with a program that for 40 years very few have been able to except Pitino with that FF. It's not a program you can point to him only getting one sw 16 and chuckle at. After Gavitt it was Pitino.. and then Cooley when you look at those successful. Welsh was decent but still not good enough to beat the odds.

Gillen was very good. Welsh was there forever and had some good years as good as what Cooley did. Cooley just didn’t have any real off years.

They never stunk that much sure maybe under Keno Davis for a couple of seasons but the overall history before Cooley is hardly bad. Being a local guy and one of them was a huge part of his brand and gave them some buzz. But let’s be honest he had nearly a decade of not having to worry about Syracuse or UConn how can you not be decent then?

Attachments

• download (2).jpeg
    download (2).jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 42
Gillen was very good. Welsh was there forever and had some good years as good as what Cooley did. Cooley just didn’t have any real off years.

They never stunk that much sure maybe under Keno Davis for a couple of seasons but the overall history before Cooley is hardly bad. Being a local guy and one of them was a huge part of his brand and gave them some buzz. But let’s be honest he had nearly a decade of not having to worry about Syracuse or UConn how can you not be decent then?

Nova at their apex with two titles, Creighton, Xavier, a rejuvenated Seton Hall, Butler (before their recent lull).. stacked a much tougher slate even before UConn rejoined. While those names that arent original BE we don't get excited about... they are also strong programs that are consistent as well. Only a couple of true bottom feeders over that period as well.

Overall in its reduced size it has had a very similar balance if not having fewer teams that were likely wins every year.

Last edited:
The Big East is going to be wildly entertaining next season

How about they organize a preseason thing at MSG and have all the old big east teams participate? The Vintage Big East Invitational...
Should have a double header with Georgetown, Syracuse, Villanova, and St Johns.

Nova at their apex with two titles, Creighton, Xavier, a rejuvenated Seton Hall, Butler (before their recent lull).. stacked a much tougher slate even before UConn rejoined. While those names that arent original BE we don't get excited about... they are also strong programs that are consistent as well. Only a couple of true bottom feeders over that period as well.

Overall in its reduced size it has had a very similar balance if not having fewer teams that were likely wins every year.

Its not that the conference stunk its more that they seriously benefited from Uconn (and BC) being bad as the only other major conference team in New England. Compared to what Welsh was up against his time there think of how good those two schools and us were during Al Skinners peak with Smith and Dudley.

We were an automatic loss for them for years I think they got a huge break playing Creighton every year instead. Doesn't mean Creighton stinks.

Its not that the conference stunk its more that they seriously benefited from Uconn (and BC) being bad as the only other major conference team in New England. Compared to what Welsh was up against his time there think of how good those two schools and us were during Al Skinners peak with Smith and Dudley.

We were an automatic loss for them for years I think they got a huge break playing Creighton every year instead. Doesn't mean Creighton stinks.

If you look at the BE before.. USF, Hall (long down period), DePaul, Rutgers, St Johns( was on the downward spiral for a while) you had weaker opponents built in as well. It's not the delta people think it is. The smaller version of the BE is very similar to the larger version where they couldn't break through often .

Plus they are winning in the non conference too.

Should have a double header with Georgetown, Syracuse, Villanova, and St Johns.
But then they'd be moving conference games. Or would it be like when Wake and UNC played each other in football and it was OOC. Noone moves conference games like that except our lame AD moving Pitt to Yankee Stadium after the fanbase just shlepped there for a garbage bowl game 9 months earlier.

Our AD should try to book a Saturday at MSG every year and we rotate between those schools. 1/3 years we defer to St Johns and let them be the home team for help securing that booking and just ask for a good allotment of tickets. Would be amazing if we could pull that off and it not be midweek. Busy venue though and I doubt we have the pull. Could definitely get something midweek and St Johns is going to be cool coming to the Dome every other year.

If you look at the BE before.. USF, Hall (long down period), DePaul, Rutgers, St Johns( was on the downward spiral for a while) you had weaker opponents built in as well. It's not the delta people think it is. The smaller version of the BE is very similar to the larger version where they couldn't break through often .

Plus they are winning in the non conference too.
Seriously better teams than the ACC at least for this year. I have probably seen around100 games this year and Big East is better right now. These things tend to be cyclical. We will get back to elite.

I can't believe Providence was paying him 4.5 million. I know the last couple years truly sucked, but JB really took a below market value salary for a longgg time.
Do we even know what JB was being paid?

I’m sure moving to DC will fix the issue
This was my immediate thought too lol. Granted there are dumb people in the world, but this is so dumb that it makes me not believe the rumor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom