Eddie Lampkin #44 - DC not happy? | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Eddie Lampkin #44 - DC not happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a piece of work. He sent me unhinged derogatory DM's at like 3am a few months back and then blocked me on twitter because I posted that, more or less, had the 44 been retired in the 80's or 90's then he as a HS recruit would never have been able to wear it, and I felt his stance on the number was odd because of that. I never said anything negative about him or even off-color. Just a weird person.

And I still think his stance is completely self-serving.
Great swimmer though

How does everyone feel about Hellcat Eddie getting #44? I saw Mike Waters seem to confirm that in a tweet yesterday
I love DC, but his rant was a little unhinged and, IMHO, detrimental to the school. Let's be honest, this is basketball, not football. 44 is meaningful, but not in the same way. I get that the process has been rocky with Eddie so there is a little angst about putting him on some pedestal before he has earned anything, but he was an important get for us and I have no issue whatsoever with him wearing 44. I hope he lives up to it. In the meantime, the haters need to sit down on this one.

I love DC, but his rant was a little unhinged and, IMHO, detrimental to the school. Let's be honest, this is basketball, not football. 44 is meaningful, but not in the same way. I get that the process has been rocky with Eddie so there is a little angst about putting him on some pedestal before he has earned anything, but he was an important get for us and I have no issue whatsoever with him wearing 44. I hope he lives up to it. In the meantime, the haters need to sit down on this one.
I don't know how successful the team will be next year, but I do know without Lampkin in the middle they would not be successful. He's important.

I'm pretty much agnostic on the number - it like the FB program it was a number that's tradition was to be used to be given to a high level recruit. That was the tradition, sum total of it. On the FB side, if it was intended to be retired after high level performance by one or a few of those players, it should have been retired after Floyd finished his career - it wasn't. Now you have clowns like Rob Konrad thinking the number was retired in part because of him simply because of *when* it was retired. Yeah Rob, you're the last 44 because you broke the mold...

DC was a fantastic player here - but the sheer fact that he refers to himself as a "Legend" has always turned me off to him post playing career. I can't stand that crap. Should have Red and Wildhack reached out to him? - probably. But DC's phone dials out too. And I would think on the timing of playing careers that he probably personally knows Red which makes the whole thing even more bizarre to me. "Legends" don't publicly blast the program, Coach, AD, and the kid getting the number by proxy on social media when they feel something didn't go their way - they pick up the damn phone and make a phone call.

And on Socials it's funny and it was the same thing with Konrad when he was doing his unhinged 3am conspiracy theory tweets at Orange United, these goofy twitter or instagram fan boys come out of the wood work to kiss his ass simply because it makes them feel good to interact on socials with a player they idolized. I'll never get that crap. Adult children acting like adult children and then other adult children high fiving them for it.

Yeah Lampkin is not a HS recruit - but he's probably the most important recruit HS, portal or otherwise towards the level of success the program has next year so he is significant.
Both DC and Konrad care about themselves and making money. Not about SU. Simple as that.

It’s just another Syracuse tradition that will be a victim of the NIL age. Lampkin has all the leverage here. Would be more excited about Donnie wearing it.
44 isnt a "tradition". It's a number that has had significance because of the people who have worn it (but not all of them).

A tradition is something that is carried on through the years. In other words, it is given to a "worthy" player. If no one wears it anymore, it's just a memory of the best players who wore it. Who is worthy and who isn't is a different discussion.

I mean, I can actually see a little grumbling on DC's part about the # and who gets it - but to publicly ridicule the current coach like he has - just asinine, and frankly unforgiveable
I mean, DC has been one of the Cuse basketball program’s most passionate and vocal supporters for many years now, especially since his playing days ended. But I thought it was conspicuous that he didn’t show up the past couple of years for all the big Dome events, like the 2003 championship celebration, Boeheim Day last season, and didn’t congratulate Red when he got the job. I love DC, but I’m extremely disappointed in his behavior here taking a shot at our alumni coaching staff, especially if his beef is with the university over the 44 trademark issues.

It’s going to be hard for me going forward to make fun of my wife for watching Bravo when I just read 13 pages about a jersey number.
Come With Us GIF by Halloween

I didn't like the fact we stopped giving 44 to people. I would love Freeman to have it for example. I don't like Lampkin getting it but I also don't like Lampkin. I think he is soft but I get he serves a purpose for us. I think it could end up like Thorpe where he quits the team or goes home and cries to his mother like he did for Dixon. I hope I'm wrong. Regardless the number shouldn't go to a middle of the road big who is coming for 1 year and on his third team and held us hostage after giving his word to come here for a few extra bucks.

I didn't like the fact we stopped giving 44 to people. I would love Freeman to have it for example. I don't like Lampkin getting it but I also don't like Lampkin. I think he is soft but I get he serves a purpose for us. I think it could end up like Thorpe where he quits the team or goes home and cries to his mother like he did for Dixon. I hope I'm wrong. Regardless the number shouldn't go to a middle of the road big who is coming for 1 year and on his third team and held us hostage after giving his word to come here for a few extra bucks.
Do you really not like Lampkin or are you just looking around the room and saying you don't like things you see?

I just wish our hoops and football alums would stop posting stuff on social media, be the stand-up men they're always claiming they are, and speak directly to the coach and AD if they have a problem.

Friggin' children, all of them.
Based on my interactions w some of these 44 men, not the most intelligent creatures.

Derrick is a bird brain, always was. Leopards don’t change their spots

So, Derrick Coleman wants to sell things, including smoking things, with SU on them. I see how this is a problem. If he calls a bar 44 (Not exactly sure if that is what he wants), is that a problem?

If SU gives 44 to Lampkin, I don't see how that is necessarily showing any inconsistency, or should be looked at by Coleman as a slap. Extra sensitivity at this time could make this worse, though. But, nobody said SU couldn't do what they want.

Unrelated, I see Derrick Coleman is the only SU player ever to go Number 1 in the NBA draft.
I think DC should open up the establishment he wanted to and bring in Eddie and the Chef as partners. The dry rub would be a hit in the Motor City!

Status
Not open for further replies.