Eddie Lampkin #44 - DC not happy? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Eddie Lampkin #44 - DC not happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Of course not. It's a number. Nothing more. We give out numbers to guys that have had their names retired plenty of times. I know that you are always looking for bad news and someone to blame but the persons to blame are the people that complained about this.
Yes the 44 would mean much much more to the university and the program, if players were allowed to wear it.

Award it to players who represent us well on and off the court.

Legend of 44 and our tradition would continue to grow, not stay stuck in place.

Be a great time for JB to pop out and say something about now to hush his former guys… just saying…

Ah yes, nothing would make the issue die down quicker than having the hall of fame coach "pop out" and "hush his former guys." Great thinking.

Ah yes, nothing would make the issue die down quicker than having the hall of fame coach "pop out" and "hush his former guys." Great thinking.

Drop the snark would ya? I didn’t mean that literally- however opining on utilizing the number in a manner that calms things down would be hardly the worst thing amidst it all.

Of course he is. He asked for a number and they said yes. How is that putting him in the wrong? But there are people in the wrong here.
I don’t think people would be annoyed at all if the kid lived up to his word the first time and didn’t play the game for a car and more money.

You play the game - that’s fine and that’s your right. But the rules and the way you are perceived changes. That’s reality.

Yes the 44 would mean much much more to the university and the program, if players were allowed to wear it.

Award it to players who represent us well on and off the court.

Legend of 44 and our tradition would continue to grow, not stay stuck in place.
And I am fine with that. Have others wear it - I agree.

But if you’re the CEO of the program and know certain folks who have a proclivity to speak their mind would be annoyed by this, then don’t you think it’s your duty to minimize or control the narrative by having the conversation before it became public?

Or instead of a blurry pic on IG with his locker name plate, how about a video with some post moves of Wallace/DC aligning with moves from Lampkin, linking the past to the future and showcasing it the right way.

I don’t think Lampkin is the guy to wear it due to the way he played the game - he’s not all in SU, he’s all in Eddie Lampkin. And that’s fine. His actions speak to it. But to say it’s a nothing burger that he’s wearing the number the University has revolved itself around for years - zip code, phone numbers, etc. - is obtuse thinking.

No Of course not. It's a number. Nothing more. We give out numbers to guys that have had their names retired plenty of times. I know that you are always looking for bad news and someone to blame but the persons to blame are the people that complained about this. Can you imagine what we would be saying if we lost this kid because we wouldn't give him a number? By the way, the number isn't the issue here with either DC or Scoop. It's something else. They are just childishly using this and hurting a kid that doesn't deserve it.
If you think 44 is just a number to everyone that matters, then I don’t agree and we will never see eye to eye on this. Which is fine.

My point is that giving the number is not “just a thing” and shouldn’t be treated as such when you know there are high profile figures who disagree. Would be interested to hear JW the original’s take on this.

If you think 44 is just a number to everyone that matters, then I don’t agree and we will never see eye to eye on this. Which is fine.

My point is that giving the number is not “just a thing” and shouldn’t be treated as such when you know there are high profile figures who disagree. Would be interested to hear JW the original’s take on this.
It is a lot more of a football thing. We could ask Wallace, who had it after DC or Danny Schayes. who had it before. Once again, this isn't about the number.

Last edited:
And I am fine with that. Have others wear it - I agree.

But if you’re the CEO of the program and know certain folks who have a proclivity to speak their mind would be annoyed by this, then don’t you think it’s your duty to minimize or control the narrative by having the conversation before it became public?

Or instead of a blurry pic on IG with his locker name plate, how about a video with some post moves of Wallace/DC aligning with moves from Lampkin, linking the past to the future and showcasing it the right way.

I don’t think Lampkin is the guy to wear it due to the way he played the game - he’s not all in SU, he’s all in Eddie Lampkin. And that’s fine. His actions speak to it. But to say it’s a nothing burger that he’s wearing the number the University has revolved itself around for years - zip code, phone numbers, etc. - is obtuse thinking.
They couldn't have that discussion before. First, there is a legal case going on with DC. Second, what do you do if you ask him and he says No. Don't do it? Lose the player over this? We are a much better team because we have EL. It would be ridiculous to lose him over a number. And DC hasn't done anything that would merit him having veto power. Should we have asked Scoop as well?

I grew up in Syracuse, 5 minutes from campus. I'm a 2005 Syracuse University grad. In my entire Syracuse drenched life I never ONCE heard of or considered #44 being a thing for the basketball program... EVER. Is #44 something significantly different for football? Of course (but even that is a bit over the top for my personal preferences). For the athletic department as a whole? Sure. But In basketball?! C'mon.

And no matter what Red says to a kid the kid is going to say he will produce. I'm not disagreeing with you but I don't think it has been handled well by any party.

Not directed at you SUF.

Why wasn't DC contacted? Just ask for the blessing, if you don't get it then have the kid talk to DC and let them figure it out. I think this was a respect thing more than anything. The Gen X era cares soooooooooo much about respect that is can destroy people.

Hopefully they can keep this ish of social media too, not the first time Griff has been gotten into stuff online. Clean it up guys and win some damn games, the last thing we want is a straight up culture change to win. Lets win with our dudes, clock is unfortunately ticking though.
Why wasn’t DC asked? Because Jim Brown and Littles wife forever messed the legacy of 44 on the football field. They don’t own the number, all you get by asking them is the destruction of your only relevant trademark.

Why wasn’t DC asked? Because Jim Brown and Littles wife forever messed the legacy of 44 on the football field. They don’t own the number, all you get by asking them is the destruction of your only relevant trademark.
Meant more out of respect. If he says no go from there. But at least ask.

great observation
I think Prince George county is way deeper than what scoop was saying….think he was meaning Point Guard. Might have meant point guard country (NYC) instead of county or maybe he meant county as I don’t fully understand the slang in these comments ofcourse. May have been referencing how Red was PG from NYC and supposed to be tougher/stronger but who knows

I think Prince George county is way deeper than what scoop was saying….think he was meaning Point Guard. Might have meant point guard country (NYC) instead of county or maybe he meant county as I don’t fully understand the slang in these comments ofcourse. May have been referencing how Red was PG from NYC and supposed to be tougher/stronger but who knows
I think scoop is sore that he wasn't one of the ass'ts that Red wanted.

This is the thing… there’s no legacy to appreciate for people who’ve never seen it on the field/courts in their life. It’s just a number in the rafters of players they’ve never seen play live but probably heard about from someone older.

Legacy’s don’t carry on that way. And we’re well into the next generation of fans.

I can understand the disagreement about how it’s being used and/or communicated to the former letter winners who helped to build its legacy. But I can’t understand being mad that it’s in use.

I’ll cheer a little harder for Lampkin in that #44.

So, Derrick Coleman wants to sell things, including smoking things, with SU on them. I see how this is a problem. If he calls a bar 44 (Not exactly sure if that is what he wants), is that a problem?

If SU gives 44 to Lampkin, I don't see how that is necessarily showing any inconsistency, or should be looked at by Coleman as a slap. Extra sensitivity at this time could make this worse, though. But, nobody said SU couldn't do what they want.

Unrelated, I see Derrick Coleman is the only SU player ever to go Number 1 in the NBA draft.

They couldn't have that discussion before. First, there is a legal case going on with DC. Second, what do you do if you ask him and he says No. Don't do it? Lose the player over this? We are a much better team because we have EL. It would be ridiculous to lose him over a number. And DC hasn't done anything that would merit him having veto power. Should we have asked Scoop as well?
Clap Reaction GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.