Eddie Lampkin #44 - DC not happy? | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Eddie Lampkin #44 - DC not happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Of course not. It's a number. Nothing more. We give out numbers to guys that have had their names retired plenty of times. I know that you are always looking for bad news and someone to blame but the persons to blame are the people that complained about this. Can you imagine what we would be saying if we lost this kid because we wouldn't give him a number? By the way, the number isn't the issue here with either DC or Scoop. It's something else. They are just childishly using this and hurting a kid that doesn't deserve it.
Yeah. I said this earlier in the thread, but I have to assume it has to do with this legal dispute he’s been involved in with the university. I really wish SU had come to an agreement with him on this.

To be fair, Derrick Coleman may be as important as any player we've ever had. He stayed 4 years. His first team came within a foul shot or two of winning the championship for the first time for Syracuse. That was a great moment for SU. He has been a geat cheerleader, also.
Exactly. But his newfound negativity and airing of grievances is incredibly disappointing. Sherm, DC and Pearl are my favorite all time Cuse players. But DC is way way out of line here and starting a toxic fight. JB should step in and help resolve this.

Last edited:
I find it encouraging so many do, but I’m with you. The glory days are behind us, no offense to Red.
So you think Syracuse won’t ever get back to national relevance? UConn managed to within a few years and they have less resources.

I love DC. He is right about the overzealous nature of the SU copywrite office.

But that’s a separate issue from giving Lampkin #44. Great #s aren’t created sitting in a case. I’m glad to see that number on the floor.

Lots of weird takes in this thread.

This thread is one of the dumbest in board history. I’d rather talk about Mannys, Shawn Michaels or the guy trying to get out of the witch curse
Down for a revisit on any of those. Include the 311 CuseHulk topic too.

You know what, screw DC (and Scoop) for this. The program is bigger than any one player or number. It would be nice of JB would speak up as an ambassador of the program.
I thought this at first as well but it's Red's program now, JB says anything publicly and I think it undermines the current administration. Tough situation.

I love DC. He is right about the overzealous nature of the SU copywrite office.

But that’s a separate issue from giving Lampkin #44. Great #s aren’t created sitting in a case. I’m glad to see that number on the floor.

Lots of weird takes in this thread.

The school should zealously protect their IP. If I wanted to start Syracuse branded stuff I wouldn’t expect to go far. I’m a graduate no diff than dc

44 is to be used and celebrated.

This thread is one of the dumbest in board history. I’d rather talk about Mannys, Shawn Michaels or the guy trying to get out of the witch curse
I’d rather discuss uniforms. Opps, wrong sport

I think scoop is sore that he wasn't one of the ass'ts that Red wanted.
Is he even coaching at any level to make him qualified?

I'm guessing there's something behind the scenes and beneath the surface that outsiders like me are unaware of

I don’t think this is about ‘his’ personal number. The school has long revered #44. No one changed the zip code to honor Douglas or Moten, GMac or Hak. 44 is bigger than any one player and it’s more than just basketball.

There has been a sense that the teams have essentially ‘reserved’ 44 for players of most expected impact. I expect that’s why Coleman is balking—that, plus didn’t he have an IP dispute with the school? And so he’s ‘salty’ about our emblematic/symbolic number just being handed to ‘some guy.’

It makes sense to keep it special. In this case, it also makes sense to let it play… on a guy who has already worn it. Him—or anyone—wearing it this year can only bring new media references to all who wore it in the past. Remind people.
It dilutes DC’s attempt to monetize 44 for his own gain. Syracuse University and basketball star Derrick Coleman engaged in legal tussle over trademarks

Closest thing to being worthy - agreed.

To me the people saying no big deal are just a reflection of how much our programs deteriorated and how cheapened the sports became with NIL.
I would have said no big deal if this was before NIL. There is ZERO evidence that we used 44 in the last 30 years to try to entice great prospects.

Never said SU was competent using it as a tool in recent history
Did Wallace come here because of 44? If not then you can remove the recent history part of your post as far as basketball goes. I just don't see this as ever having been used the way it was on the football side. You can definitely blame SU for that (continued) mishandling.

The replies in DC’s instagram post are almost all outraged on his behalf and angry at SU for giving the number to Eddie. SMDH. They should be angry at DC for undermining Red and our staff by calling them clowns. That’s beyond the pale. I’m glad to see our board posters are largely in support of giving Eddie the number (or at least agnostic on it) and opposed to DC’s absurd public tirade and Scoop and others piling on.

The replies in DC’s instagram post are almost all outraged on his behalf and angry at SU for giving the number to Eddie. SMDH. They should be angry at DC for undermining Red and our staff by calling them clowns. That’s beyond the pale. I’m glad to see our board posters are largely in support of giving Eddie the number (or at least agnostic on it) and opposed to DC’s absurd public tirade and Scoop and others piling on.
I'm pretty much agnostic on the number - it like the FB program it was a number that's tradition was to be used to be given to a high level recruit. That was the tradition, sum total of it. On the FB side, if it was intended to be retired after high level performance by one or a few of those players, it should have been retired after Floyd finished his career - it wasn't. Now you have clowns like Rob Konrad thinking the number was retired in part because of him simply because of *when* it was retired. Yeah Rob, you're the last 44 because you broke the mold...

DC was a fantastic player here - but the sheer fact that he refers to himself as a "Legend" has always turned me off to him post playing career. I can't stand that crap. Should have Red and Wildhack reached out to him? - probably. But DC's phone dials out too. And I would think on the timing of playing careers that he probably personally knows Red which makes the whole thing even more bizarre to me. "Legends" don't publicly blast the program, Coach, AD, and the kid getting the number by proxy on social media when they feel something didn't go their way - they pick up the damn phone and make a phone call.

And on Socials it's funny and it was the same thing with Konrad when he was doing his unhinged 3am conspiracy theory tweets at Orange United, these goofy twitter or instagram fan boys come out of the wood work to kiss his ass simply because it makes them feel good to interact on socials with a player they idolized. I'll never get that crap. Adult children acting like adult children and then other adult children high fiving them for it.

Yeah Lampkin is not a HS recruit - but he's probably the most important recruit HS, portal or otherwise towards the level of success the program has next year so he is significant.

I'm pretty much agnostic on the number - it like the FB program it was a number that's tradition was to be used to be given to a high level recruit. That was the tradition, sum total of it. On the FB side, if it was intended to be retired after high level performance by one or a few of those players, it should have been retired after Floyd finished his career - it wasn't. Now you have clowns like Rob Konrad thinking the number was retired in part because of him simply because of *when* it was retired. Yeah Rob, you're the last 44 because you broke the mold...

DC was a fantastic player here - but the sheer fact that he refers to himself as a "Legend" has always turned me off to him post playing career. I can't stand that crap. Should have Red and Wildhack reached out to him? - probably. But DC's phone dials out too. And I would think on the timing of playing careers that he probably personally knows Red which makes the whole thing even more bizarre to me. "Legends" don't publicly blast the program, Coach, AD, and the kid getting the number by proxy on social media when they feel something didn't go their way - they pick up the damn phone and make a phone call.

And on Socials it's funny and it was the same thing with Konrad when he was doing his unhinged 3am conspiracy theory tweets at Orange United, these goofy twitter or instagram fan boys come out of the wood work to kiss his ass simply because it makes them feel good to interact on socials with a player they idolized. I'll never get that crap. Adult children acting like adult children and then other adult children high fiving them for it.

Yeah Lampkin is not a HS recruit - but he's probably the most important recruit HS, portal or otherwise towards the level of success the program has next year so he is significant.
I never understood how someone with less than 2000 total yards in his career is this full of himself. I always thought Rob Konrad was kind of a bust. His best days were in high school. Typical.

I never understood how someone with less than 2000 total yards in his career is this full of himself. I always thought Rob Konrad was kind of a bust. His best days were in high school. Typical.

He's a piece of work. He sent me unhinged derogatory DM's at like 3am a few months back and then blocked me on twitter because I posted that, more or less, had the 44 been retired in the 80's or 90's then he as a HS recruit would never have been able to wear it, and I felt his stance on the number was odd because of that. I never said anything negative about him or even off-color. Just a weird person.

And I still think his stance is completely self-serving.

Status
Not open for further replies.