Educate Me Please | Syracusefan.com

Educate Me Please

Pat Kelly

2nd String
Who have been Syracuse's major recruiting misses over the years? Either targets they were close to getting who went elsewhere, or big name guys who came here but were flops.

I know Vick and Ray Rice were close to coming here, and Gronkowski's dad played at Syracuse.

Not from the area, just trying to learn.

Vick and Rice were real program-changers though we didn't know it at the time.

Current guys we were finalists for who have done something:
Daquan Jones - PSU
Donovan Smith - PSU
Brandon Coleman - RU
Augustus Edwards - Miami - remains to be seen but played well in at least one game

Good question and it lends some perspective. The list of recruits we had our hopes up for that didn't do much elsewhere is long.
A lot of it is perception, just fans wanting to win these offseason battles.

Local guys that had great success elsewhere: Mike Hart, Tyvon Branch, Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

Marquise Walker was an All-American WR at UM, couldn't keep him local even at the height of the program's success.

Onyeali at ASU is another I really wanted (before his recent domestic violence incident he's been real good for them). Also, who can forget the board's crush Zach Allen, who left last year for TCU.

Ishaq Williams - ND DE
Ebenezer ogundeko - Clemson DE

These guys had SU in final 3 and anyone here who says they weren't a little heart broken would be lying.

The Vick one absolutly hurt. That guy was a game changer. I was at the Dome in 01? when Freeny sacked him like 4 times. Alas Vick got the last laugh and pulled off one of his patented 50 yard QB bootlegs to win in the 4th. I still remember that play, its like he hit the turbo button as soon as he was about to turn the corner. We had one or two guys that had the angle and then BOOM, Vick was gone. :(

The Vick one absolutly hurt. That guy was a game changer. I was at the Dome in 01? when Freeny sacked him like 4 times. Alas Vick got the last laugh and pulled off one of his patented 50 yard QB bootlegs to win in the 4th. I still remember that play, its like he hit the turbo button as soon as he was about to turn the corner. We had one or two guys that had the angle and then BOOM, Vick was gone. :(

4.5 times.

Averin Collier, Romale Tucker, Andrey Baskin, LaVar Lobdell and Jermaine Pierce were players much was expected from. Collier just wasn't that good, not sure if Tucker ever even made it here, Baskin did not make it here, Lobdell may have been a victim of timing but he didn't make the team any better, Pierce was injured.

D'Brickshaw Ferguson
Ishaq Williams

people need to understand that hart and marquise grew up michigan fans even though they were local and ONLY wanted to go to michigan.

i think ray rice and brian leonard who were just about on campus but then going to rutgers thanks to coach p leaving was a huge hit.

D'Brickshaw Ferguson
Ishaq Williams

people need to understand that hart and marquise grew up michigan fans even though they were local and ONLY wanted to go to michigan.
I played against Marquis in high school... He was insanely athletic... Never like to relive that memory.

Vick was a great talent, without a doubt.

But a detestable human being. As good as he was, I am actually relieved he didn't attend Syracuse.

McNabb was a great player and a great person. Vick was a great player and he still is based upon watching him befuddle to Redskins this year.

Was there anything better than watching Freeney sack Vick 7 times in one game? Beamer HATES playing in The Dome and i bet he retires before he has to again.

Xavier Lee.

It's funny. For every one of those "must get" guys who went someplace else and had great success, there are an equal number of "must get" guys who went someplace else and bombed out.

We really wanted Red Grange. Of course, at the time, us was trying to convince him that his best chance to win the Heisman trophy was to come to Syracuse and change his name to Orange Grange.

Who have been Syracuse's major recruiting misses over the years? Either targets they were close to getting who went elsewhere, or big name guys who came here but were flops.

I know Vick and Ray Rice were close to coming here, and Gronkowski's dad played at Syracuse.

Not from the area, just trying to learn.

Losing Vick was absolutely crushing.

Then we whiffed on CJ Leak, Latrez Harrison, etc etc

But Vick was the one that would have changed our history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom