Elijah Hughes gets invite to the NBA Combine | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes gets invite to the NBA Combine

He's built to be a 2nd unit scorer. Somewhat similar to a Jamal Crawford. I could see him having a journeyman career like Jamal as well. Not that he will end up being in the conversation for best 6th man of all time, but the potential is there to carve out a long career in that role. If he can hold his own defensively, then it's a wrap, and he will never have to worry about finding a home. Which I'm confident will be the case.

Yeah I think that's getting a bit overzealous. I'd be thrilled if he was a first rounder.
Nik Stauskas was a lottery pick...so there's that. It just takes one team to like him more than 20 or so of the other unproven players. I really think looking at this draft class that there is little difference between #9 and #29.

Nik Stauskas was a lottery pick...so there's that. It just takes one team to like him more than 20 or so of the other unproven players. I really think looking at this draft class that there is little difference between #9 and #29.

Stauskas projected as an elite shooter in the NBA. There's always a chance for guys like that to go early. Not to mention the age difference between the two.

I think Hughes has the best chance to stick in the NBA that we've had since MCW, but he's still probably a late 1st rounder at best and likely a 2nd round pick unless he turns heads at the combine/workouts (if workouts are even a thing this year? I'm guessing they might do virtual workouts?)

Thinking about what an NBA team would likely see in him:
  • Shooting is his main calling card, but he didn't shoot all that good of a percentage from 3 (35.6% over two years). I do think he passes the eye test in this regard though; he just took relatively poor shots that you hopefully can coach out of him once he's no longer the star of the team in the NBA.
  • The only spot on the floor he shot at above-average efficiency is at the rim, but he struggled getting to the rim throughout his college career. I don't have the numbers to back this up, but I think he likely struggled finishing around the rim in the halfcourt as well, as he doesn't really pass the eye test in this regard.
  • I think he'll be a decent defender in the NBA but as always, teams will question him due to the zone.
  • Already 22 which will almost certainly push him down draft boards whether it should or not.
At the end of the day, there isn't really anything to hang your hat on with him that would make an NBA team say "Yeah, that's the guy we need".

Like I said, I think he's got a legitimate chance to make it in the NBA but he's probably not going to excite NBA teams very much.

I would also say this year's draft is very questionable at the top, but it's very deep IMO. Someone like Desmond Bane is pretty similar to Hughes but just flat out better and even he's currently being looked at as a late 1st round pick.

For me personally as a Bucks fan, I'd be happy if they acquired a 2nd round pick and scooped him up there. At #24 though, I suspect there will likely be 10-15 guys available that I'd rather take.

I could easily see Eli's career follow Wesley Matthews trajectory. Very similar size and perimeter games while also being strong and capable of doing different things. Not to mention how sweet of a mid range pull up Eli has.

Only difference is I see someone grabbing him in the mid to late second vs going undrafted.

Last edited:
From the above piece:
I'm a little more skeptical in part because he's a late developer who is already 22 years old, but the Spurs could absolutely make use of someone his size who can create shots and score it at a high level.

Let me get this straight, this writer (Kyle Boone) is worried because Hughes is a late developer and he's 22, as opposed to 19?

So, Hughes is improving, but he's too old to keep improving? Makes little to no sense. Let's also acknowledge that, if drafted in the first round, Hughes will be all of 26 when his team's rights to him comes to an end.
The NBA is so dumb sometimes.

From the above piece:
I'm a little more skeptical in part because he's a late developer who is already 22 years old, but the Spurs could absolutely make use of someone his size who can create shots and score it at a high level.

Let me get this straight, this writer (Kyle Boone) is worried because Hughes is a late developer and he's 22, as opposed to 19?

So, Hughes is improving, but he's too old to keep improving? Makes little to no sense. Let's also acknowledge that, if drafted in the first round, Hughes will be all of 26 when his team's rights to him comes to an end.
The NBA is so dumb sometimes.
Clearly it is better to get the 19 year old and have him develop in to a stud just before he leaves in free agency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom