Elijah Hughes | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

Apparently we have offered...

Not a fan but apparently he is being recruited with the scholarship Tyus Battle is using.

The thinking is Battle is gone after this year and so Hughes will take his scholarship in 2018.

So we still have 4 scholarships for 2018 recruiting assuming we add no more freshman for next year.

Not a fan but apparently he is being recruited with the scholarship Tyus Battle is using.

The thinking is Battle is gone after this year and so Hughes will take his scholarship in 2018.

So we still have 4 scholarships for 2018 recruiting assuming we add no more freshman for next year.
All very good points. People scream when we lose our best players after 1 or 2 years then scream when we recruit 3-4 year program guys. We can't have it both ways. I like this move by JB and the staff. Let him develop and learn the zone for 18 months then trot him out as a redshirt sophomore with 3 years of eligibility left. 6'6 and athletic and hasn't played as much basketball as 95% of the guys his age up to this point.

Assume that we will add maybe 2 more 2017 players which will leave us with 1-2 scholarships (2nd one is Battle's if he does go pro) for 2018.

Assume that we will add maybe 2 more 2017 players which will leave us with 1-2 scholarships (2nd one is Battle's if he does go pro) for 2018.
Depends on the 2017 players we add.

We should only add 3 non grad transfers right now.

1. Tucker
2. Ayala
3. Wilson

The rest of the 2017 players we add should be grad transfers we won't count towards 2018.

We have 4 2018 openings right now, Hughes is taking one but because Battle is likely gone we will still have 4 openings.

2018 recruiting class needs to be special. That is why I am down on adding Hughes.

Depends on the 2017 players we add.

We should only add 3 non grad transfers right now.

1. Tucker
2. Ayala
3. Wilson

The rest of the 2017 players we add should be grad transfers we won't count towards 2018.

We have 4 2018 openings right now, Hughes is taking one but because Battle is likely gone we will still have 4 openings.

2018 recruiting class needs to be special. That is why I am down on adding Hughes.

I think we wind up with Dolezaj, Hughes and Thorpe (don't think we can wait much longer on Ayala when we have the rest of the team lined up. After last season I'm sure JB wants them all to be on campus together over the summer)

Thorpe clears.
We get one ship back.
Battle goes NBA (very likely)
Thompson goes NBA (possible)
Chukwu leaves as a grad transfer (If he has another season of not contributing I think this is a given)
Buddy B. doesn't need a ship.

If you count Buddy we could have as many as 6 new faces although I think its more likely that its 4 or 5.

I think we wind up with Dolezaj, Hughes and Thorpe (don't think we can wait much longer on Ayala when we have the rest of the team lined up. After last season I'm sure JB wants them all to be on campus together over the summer)

Thorpe clears.
We get one ship back.
Chukwu leaves as a grad transfer (If he has another season of not contributing I think this is a given)

If you count Buddy we could have as many as 6 new faces although I think its more likely that its 4 or 5.
Was going to add that Chukwu could very well move on after next season as well. He will most likely graduate and depending on the year he will have, there may be more PT elsewhere. Thats a valuable spot that could open up for a 2018.

Thorpe clears.
We get one ship back.

Dolezaj AND Hughes would be disappointing.

One okay but both hurts 2018 recruiting IMO.

I ll take Hughes Thorpe and Cameron Reynolds wing transfer from Tulane 6 7 and a pretty good shooter

Agree completely - I'd prefer the Euro dude, maybe his ceiling is higher? Don't know. Not good. This team is going to struggle to compete in both ACC and non-conference play.

I'm sure a lot of fans will have that viewpoint. I get it but Dolezaj could be better than anyone knows since mostly we don't know much about him. Hughes has all the tools and at worst is going to be a solid backup at the 2 and 3 for the 18 season and beyond.

Someone will probably move on along with Tyus, so adding those two won't hurt. We should be able to add four in 2018. If not, then Carey, Swider, and insert whoever sounds good. But, I'd put my money on 4 spots open even with Marek, and Hughes.

I'm sure a lot of fans will have that viewpoint. I get it but Dolezaj could be better than anyone knows since mostly we don't know much about him. Hughes has all the tools and at worst is going to be a solid backup at the 2 and 3 for the 18 season and beyond.

I really like the kid from the Goodyear blimp footage I've seen. We are adding a lot of guys who can be really good in year 2-3-4. Basically how you win these days.

We have guys that can contribute immediately as well. This team is going to be good, and only get better as time goes on. I'm excited for this new age of recruiting.

I like to see players more than a year, or unfortunately go down with an injury, then leave like McCullough. We knew he was gone, so no worries there. Loved watching Mali, but wish we had the chance to see him play here more. I don't blame any of them on their decisions. But, we are building a core and that's how you usually win now.

I hope we do

I am in the same boat. This reminds of a player we will be hoping that takes his degree early and moves on sort of like the 7 footer on our current roster.

I'm not so sure. I keep hearing not good but great things about the kid. Can't explain how he ended up at ECU. But have heard from multiple people that he is a great shooter and a athlete. Went head to head against Diallo in high school and he bested Diallo something like 24 pts to 4 pts. Hearing that the staff really likes Marek as well. Think he is much better than people think. They would take him with Tucker if they get the chance.

I'm not so sure. I keep hearing not good but great things about the kid. Can't explain how he ended up at ECU. But have heard from multiple people that he is a great shooter and a athlete. Went head to head against Diallo in high school and he bested Diallo something like 24 pts to 4 pts. Hearing that the staff really likes Marek as well. Think he is much better than people think. They would take him with Tucker if they get the chance.

I might be in the minority here but i like taking in traditional transfers if they are legit, it gives them a year to learn the zone and offensive system, work in the weight room and bond with teammates while not losing a year of eligibility, i also like the idea of putting out grown men against some of these high level 17/18 year old prospects. Not to say we should abandon recruiting freshman but having a red-shirt upperclassmen can be very valuable.

Much too early for that. I think PC will end up being pretty important for us.

I dont think he can play major minutes in the ACC. Just don't think he is at that level.

Much too early for that. I think PC will end up being pretty important for us.

I hope so. I'm on the fence with him. I completely get that you are going to look lost playing bball with a detached retina in one eye. It has to mess with depth perception as well as your brain interpreting your field of vision. I'm not going to expect great things until we get to see him this fall.