Elijah Hughes | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

Would i love for us to load up on 4 and 5 star guys absolutely...I personally think hughes is way better then people think he is. From what dasher has said and others it's obvious that the staff must really like this kid. I'm not sure how u can watch any of the tape on him (Yes I know it's highlights and they don't mean squat to some) and not think he has tremendous upside and the skill set needed to play on the big stage. The size he put on in the year he was at ecu is also impressive. We should hire their personal trainer. I like this move by the staff and I hope it works out. It does kinda suck that he can't contribute this season and we desperately need all the help we can get but we are building a good foundation for the future. Just need to sprinkle in some upper talent with the group we have and 18 should be looking real good.

I'm not so sure. I keep hearing not good but great things about the kid. Can't explain how he ended up at ECU. But have heard from multiple people that he is a great shooter and a athlete. Went head to head against Diallo in high school and he bested Diallo something like 24 pts to 4 pts. Hearing that the staff really likes Marek as well. Think he is much better than people think. They would take him with Tucker if they get the chance.

Good - I hope to God I'm wrong.

I hope so. I'm on the fence with him. I completely get that you are going to look lost playing bball with a detached retina in one eye. It has to mess with depth perception as well as your brain interpreting your field of vision. I'm not going to expect great things until we get to see him this fall.

Thing is when did the detached retina happen? If he played with it he has an excuse. If he didn't. Yikes.

I still think back to the Wisconsin game where he didn't have anyone within 5 feet of him underneath the basket and he threw the ball out of bounds instead of dunking it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sidibe passed him. Okoboh looked better than Chukwu did.

Thing is when did the detached retina happen? If he played with it he has an excuse. If he didn't. Yikes.

I still think back to the Wisconsin game where he didn't have anyone within 5 feet of him underneath the basket and he threw the ball out of bounds instead of dunking it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sidibe passed him. Okoboh looked better than Chukwu did.

It happened in practice. I believe early on in the season. I do not know if he played games before it happened but I'm pretty sure it was before the Wisci game.

It happened in practice. I believe early on in the season. I do not know if he played games before it happened but I'm pretty sure it was before the Wisci game.

It happened against Holy Cross...

Thing is I didn't think he looked great before that either...

So back to Hughes.

If he's as good as Dasher says he is then I say we sign him.

I think we are skeptical because some of the other guys we have taken on that haven't panned out thought.

We need to start hitting on and developing a higher percentage of recruits.

It happened against Holy Cross...

Thing is I didn't think he looked great before that either...

That was one of the first couple games though. While I agree that he didn't look great he was coming off a year without playing in games and it can take time to get used to game action. I tend to agree with you though which is why I'm not expecting anything.

I don't see any downside to bringing this kid in. he's a 6'6 point guard. he's already played 1 year of D1 ball. then he comes here and sits out a year where he's going to learn and develop. If he doesn't pan out there's nothing lost. I see him having a pretty high ceiling though.

32 assists to 24 turnovers

Scored
19 vs USF
18 vs Cincinnati
14 vs UCONN
17 vs Temple

Last edited:
I get that he was apparently a decent high school player, but consider me skeptical that a guy that was pretty terrible at ECU will blossom with us. Here's to hoping though; certainly seems to have the type of body you look for in a recruit and the form on his jumper is there. Hard to really explain why he was so bad for ECU.

Great news. We're on the board for 2018. Welcome to the Cuse, Elijah.

Love his potential. A year in college, then a year practicing, and improving. With his physical measurements, and skills this is a great pickup.

Duh, of course he was going to commit here instead of bothering with Iona. Good move for him.

I'm on board, with one stipulation...we still attack the 2018 class with the intention of adding a PG AND a SG/SF type. I don't want to have him be the only SG option next year with the hope that his game develops a lot in his redshirt year. I want options, and this kid should provide quality depth at the 2/3, at the very least.

Welcome aboard EH.

I get that he was apparently a decent high school player, but consider me skeptical that a guy that was pretty terrible at ECU will blossom with us. Here's to hoping though; certainly seems to have the type of body you look for in a recruit and the form on his jumper is there. Hard to really explain why he was so bad for ECU.
He wasn't necessarily terrible. I believe he had an injury issue early in the year, came on in AAC play and showed some scoring chops that we'll need in the future. He's got prototypical size and good athleticism. If his shot can develop over the next year, he should be a real nice component for his 3 years here.

Duh, of course he was going to commit here instead of bothering with Iona. Good move for him.

I'm on board, with one stipulation...we still attack the 2018 class with the intention of adding a PG AND a SG/SF type. I don't want to have him be the only SG option next year with the hope that his game develops a lot in his redshirt year. I want options, and this kid should provide quality depth at the 2/3, at the very least.

Welcome aboard EH.

Carey and Swider would be great for the 18 class!

He wasn't necessarily terrible. I believe he had an injury issue early in the year, came on in AAC play and showed some scoring chops that we'll need in the future. He's got prototypical size and good athleticism. If his shot can develop over the next year, he should be a real nice component for his 3 years here.

I agree, at worst he is a quality backup at the 2 and 3. He also has the upside to be a high level starter so I think this is a very good move.

Hey I was pretty close on this prediction (got lucky I guess) - Class of 2017 - G Elijah Hughes (ECU) Committed to Syracuse - based on what he said in the article -
Hughes said he made up his mind after visiting the SU campus on Wednesday and then sitting down with his family on Thursday morning.

"I sat down and thought about it and just decided that Syracuse was the right spot,'' Hughes said.

I don't get the narrative from many that he was so bad at ECU as a freshman. But, to each their own. We can be skeptical, though I'm excited.