Elijah Hughes | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

I've stayed off the recruiting boards for the most part recently since a lot of these posts have just been frantic. Obviously there are question marks here and we hope he turns out to be a solid player for us down the road. I know you can't evaluate players just based on star ratings and what's on paper. But this most recent recruiting cycle and this signing in particular raises eyebrows. People can spin all this whatever which way they want. The fact that we were competing with Seton Hall and Iona for his services gives me some pause; after all this is Syracuse -- we are going up against ACC, top 100 level talent almost every game. He was not even ranked top 200 in his class.
Kids never get better?

It blows my mind that because a website doesn't say a kid is good, people think that he'll never have the drive to get better, or that better coaching might help him become a better player, or evaluations made the staff think that this kid would fit with what we're doing.

Kids never get better?

It blows my mind that because a website doesn't say a kid is good, people think that he'll never have the drive to get better, or that better coaching might help him become a better player, or evaluations made the staff think that this kid would fit with what we're doing.
Come on... you know.. it's just like on the football side when everyone complains on the weight of a HS Jr. Kids don't get better or bigger

Also one thing to consider, is it even known that he didn't have other interest from teams all over the country and immediately told them no because he seems to be quite sure he wanted to be closer to home? Nobody should be questioning dasher and his sources, if he says he's heard from sources that he's a great shooter then that's what I will believe, he was obviously disgruntled at ECU and for a freshman that mental toll is tough so until I see it with my own eyes he's going to shoot like AW3 in my mind. :)
He has a very nice shot. Drives the lane fearlessly and dunks with aggression. I thought I read he hit 9 3s in a row in a game

Correct, I do not know more than you or anyone else. I have a feeling if Michigan and Indiana or Arizona came calling, he would have listened rather than say thanks but I've cut my list to Iona, St Bonaventure, Canisius and Syracuse
Well, we'll never know, so who cares. I'm glad we added some depth that has some real upside and showed some skills at the college level already.

If he doesn't develop into anything more than a role player or backup 2/3, so be it. We have open scholarships and needed to solidify some of them. While Hughes probably wasn't on anyone's board for high end players to add, he's a fit for our scheme, has the size/athleticism to be a real impact player and has 3 years (with the 1 developmental) year to put it together. This is better than adding a 7 footer with no skills and I like this better than adding the Slovakian kid.

The only issue is there is no help for 2017-2018 yet, and that's definitely a major problem. But with Battle likely leaving after the season (if he doesn't, then even better for our talent/depth), 2 scholarships still open, another coming back from the sanctions and possible defections to either the NBA (TT) or wherever (we can guess who), we are still very flexible and can bring in any numbers of players to help in the future. Now it's time to actually start getting some top HS recruits to commit again.

Go read my old posts and tell me if you think I'm just a downer. I happen to disagree that this was a great move (and by the way I really hope I'm wrong). I understand the thought process that he will be taking Battle's ship and minutes once he goes pro, what I don't understand is anyone thinking he could fill those shoes. I also understand recruiting program guys, I'm fine with the Howard Washington recruitment.

Wish you had been around this board a little longer than 10 minutes, you and CuseHulk would have gotten along well

Great move, good move, terrible move, who knows...we'll see how he develops. But for the openings we had, the holes we'll have going forward and the possibility that Hughes could be a two-way impact makes this a good risk to take. I don't think anybody is proclaiming this a great move or expect EH to be the end of it.

I expect Hughes to be a part of the solution for when Battle goes pro. Will he fill all the minutes and impact of Battle? No, that's doubtful, but I think this is a good start. Battle is a star already and a probably 1st round pick. To expect Hughes to provide that same impact is crazy. I hope we still can add another SG type that will combine with Hughes to be a nice 1/2 punch.

Well, we'll never know, so who cares. I'm glad we added some depth that has some real upside and showed some skills at the college level already.

If he doesn't develop into anything more than a role player or backup 2/3, so be it. We have open scholarships and needed to solidify some of them. While Hughes probably wasn't on anyone's board for high end players to add, he's a fit for our scheme, has the size/athleticism to be a real impact player and has 3 years (with the 1 developmental) year to put it together. This is better than adding a 7 footer with no skills and I like this better than adding the Slovakian kid.

The only issue is there is no help for 2017-2018 yet, and that's definitely a major problem. But with Battle likely leaving after the season (if he doesn't, then even better for our talent/depth), 2 scholarships still open, another coming back from the sanctions and possible defections to either the NBA (TT) or wherever (we can guess who), we are still very flexible and can bring in any numbers of players to help in the future. Now it's time to actually start getting some top HS recruits to commit again.

Depth is good I agree. I would have preferred the Slovakian kid because I think his ceiling is higher and he could contribute next year possibly, but, we can agree to disagree on that.

I guess my biggest complaint is that we don't recruit enough of the top talents, we are still targeting a few that we think we have a chance with and going hard at them. I think in the twitter age where all of these kids hold out so long before committing it puts us at a disadvantage if/when Kentucky and Duke come calling. A lot can happen late and if we had more irons in the fire and some other recruiting situation unfolded differently, we might get one of these kids because Arizona grabbed someone else. we could be that #2 option who knows. Syracuse is a great program that has a number of attractive traits for recruits.

I may not being articulating my point very well - I think what I said makes sense though

If FH plays more, it's an automatic down grade.
He wouldn't play more unless he has improved. Thorpe would play the Gillon minutes and FH would have to earn his. Battle will be even better this year and Thorpe will be a defensive upgrade over Gillon and probably better overall at many thing like entering the ball to the post.

Depth is good I agree. I would have preferred the Slovakian kid because I think his ceiling is higher and he could contribute next year possibly, but, we can agree to disagree on that.

I guess my biggest complaint is that we don't recruit enough of the top talents, we are still targeting a few that we think we have a chance with and going hard at them. I think in the twitter age where all of these kids hold out so long before committing it puts us at a disadvantage if/when Kentucky and Duke come calling. A lot can happen late and if we had more irons in the fire and some other recruiting situation unfolded differently, we might get one of these kids because Arizona grabbed someone else. we could be that #2 option who knows. Syracuse is a great program that has a number of attractive traits for recruits.

I may not being articulating my point very well - I think what I said makes sense though
The Slovakian kid and Hughes are not exclusive. We will take both.

I don't think it was Hughes or Slovakian kid. I think it is Hughes and Tucker or Slovakian. Hughes seems more like a 2, while Dolezaj looks more like a Cuse 4 or potential 3 if his shot develops further. I'm sure they'd both play at big as the '3', but they are much different players based on the highlight videos and video of Dolezaj from the space station.

I 100% agree that we don't recruit (or land) enough higher end talent, but we definitely need to get start getting kids in the 40-100 range, or so, again, especially on the perimeter. I've been super critical of our recruiting tactics, priorities and actual targets, but I can't be too against bringing in a kid like Hughes, assuming this doesn't stop us from recruiting the position further, as we need that.

Same as Dolezaj and Tucker, for what it's worth. At least that was the case before the Hughes commitment.

If Tucker committed to us would Dolejaz still come? (I believe you posed this question to me and its a good one) If Dolejaz committed to us I don't think Tucker would think twice about it if he wanted to come to SU. What would be interesting is seeing if we pursued any gaurds afterwords if Dolejaz committed and Tucker followed.

If Tucker committed to us would Dolejaz still come? (I believe you posed this question to me and its a good one) If Dolejaz committed to us I don't think Tucker would think twice about it if he wanted to come to SU. What would be interesting is seeing if we pursued any gaurds afterwords if Dolejaz committed and Tucker followed.
Tucker commits we gotta hold out for Geno

Sounds like a great get for 2018. JB has a pretty good track record with the transfers he's brought into the program over his career. Its probably selective memory but I cant really think of more than one that didn't pan out. Rautins, Ellis, Blackwell, Cole, Ongenaut, Lloyd, Cipolla, Johnson, Gbinije, White, Gillon. Jury still out on Chukwa. Doesn't do anything for 2017 obviously but there's time.

It is still the case. They think very highly of the Euro dude. Think he will be a star. they really like hughes as well. Think better of him than anyone here does. That is for sure.

I guess the question is how confident are they in Howard and Washington manning the PG spot this season?

Tucker commits we gotta hold out for Geno
Would boeheim take tucker and dolejac? I really really like Geno and he may be a more important piece than dolejac right now. And I think Dolejac is a great prospect
It is still the case. They think very highly of the Euro dude. Think he will be a star. they really like hughes as well. Think better of him than anyone here does. That is for sure.
dasher your the man thx for your comments!

Ratings mean nothing.

This is just a small sample size of underrated players.

Steph Curry 3 stars
Damion Lillard 3 stars
Kenneth Faried 2 stars
Rodney Stuckey 3 stars
George Hill 2 stars
Isaiah Thomas 3 stars
Elfrid Payton 0 stars
Jimmer Fredette 3 stars
CJ McCollum 3 stars

Ratings mean nothing.

Steph Curry 3 stars
Damion Lillard 3 stars
Kenneth Faried 2 stars
Rodney Stuckey 3 stars
George Hill 2 stars
Isaiah Thomas 3 stars
Elfrid Payton 0 stars
Jimmer Fredette 3 stars
CJ McCollum 3 stars

Trying not to put my Pollyanna glasses on but Elijah is no question athletic, strong, aggressive, confident, a presence and seemingly happy to join Cuse. Boeheim knows better them me yet I also see tremendous upside in him. He also has the attitude and willingness to work hard. I can't help but be optimistic

Ratings mean nothing.

Steph Curry 3 stars
Damion Lillard 3 stars
Kenneth Faried 2 stars
Rodney Stuckey 3 stars
George Hill 2 stars
Isaiah Thomas 3 stars
Elfrid Payton 0 stars
Jimmer Fredette 3 stars
CJ McCollum 3 stars
Ratings definitely matter some, but you're right, not end all be all!

Heck Fultz didn't even make his varsity team two years ago and now could go number one in the draft. And to top it all...Michael Jordon got cut from his JV team!!!

Here are some points to consider.
* Cuse is not giving up a scholarship for 18. It is awarding one
*JB and the staff Love this kid.
*He is a natural replacement for Battle.
*He will have a full year in the system and be game ready
*Natural friendship and Chemistry with Moyer.

I could go on but how anyone can question signing this kid is beyond me.
But stars...