Elijah Hughes | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

There'd be a bit of crow for this board to eat, if so.

I'd give my left leg for another Dion.
Because we aren't going to be complete crap the board has to eat crow?

I am just happy we have a bubble team and not a dumpster fire. Syracuse still isn't going to be typical Syracuse next year.

We need to win some PG recruiting battles for 2018.

I am just happy we have a bubble team and not a dumpster fire. Syracuse still isn't going to be typical Syracuse next year.

Exactly we are like thoroughbred horses pulling a stagecoach with no driver

Uh, no.

If Elijah Hughes becomes a talent like MCW or Dion Waiters. Many on this board were confused why we took him.

Uh, no.

If Elijah Hughes becomes a talent like MCW or Dion Waiters. Many on this board were confused why we took him.
Many on here still are.

He isn't an NBA lottery pick or he wouldn't have transferred. He would have gone to the NBA.

I would settle for the kid being a legit ACC player.

Our best recent teams have been the ones with the best defense. The recent FF run was based upon our smothering zone D.
Please tell me you're referencing 2012-13. The last FF run was trunk monkey saving the day.

You're both completely off in your projections for Hughes.

He'll be much better than what you're expecting. Thankfully
If he is a double digit scorer his first year I will be shocked.
If this kid was an NBA prospect he wouldn't have transferred he goes pro.
I just want a legit ACC player.

Would be more than fine if you're right. I wasn't insulting him with my comment, just being realistic with a first year change from AAC to ACC.

Last edited:
I think there is a gap between solid ACC player (who will be a jr) and 1st round talent after frosh year.

Silent G and A trey are the two that jump out to me immediately.

I know nothing about his talent/ability/potential but I just wanted to draw a distinction that he could be a solid ACC contributor in his jr year without having 1st Rd NBA talent after his frosh year.

I think there is a gap between solid ACC player (who will be a jr) and 1st round talent after frosh year.

Silent G and A trey are the two that jump out to me immediately.

I know nothing about his talent/ability/potential but I just wanted to draw a distinction that he could be a solid ACC contributor in his jr year without having 1st Rd NBA talent after his frosh year.
Yes Elijah Huge

People can be terrific college players without necessarily being NBA prospects, a la CJ Fair.

Whether Hughes proves to be an NBA prospect during his career at SU or not as you predict, isn't really a determinant of what his statistical contributions might be. What I DO know is that the coaching staff has been preoccupied with his athleticism dating back to high school, pre-prep school. And they watched him several times when he played with Moyer. And their viewpoint is that at 6-6 220 pounds, he is a major league athlete. I wouldn't bet against this kid. He's built like Paul Harris, but with better guard skills and shooting.

Welp, I'll stay out of this thread. The stat reading, negative posters are around. Glad I stopped by to make sure I stay out. This isn't some bum, project player is all that I'll say.

Not necessarily. Lydon Battle and many more stick around to improve. UNC players for example. The film on this kid coupled with the fact he improved throughout the year is encouraging. JB has one heck of an eye for talent and seems to really like him. I think he ends up being a very good player for us.

Projections are projections. Hughes has yet to even suit up for Syracuse. I happen to be of the opinion that Hughes is a wasted scholarship for reasons I've posted many times before. That doesn't make me or anyone else who shares my opinion wrong or right, it makes us less optimistic than you.

Truth be told, Hughes might be the next MCW or Dion (I highly doubt it) but until he does anything on the court for Syracuse, bickering back and forth about who is wrong and who is right is premature conjecture.

I'd be happy if he fell somewhere in between both of our projections, not a dud, but not a stud... a decent role player is probably a more realistic projection at this time.

Last edited:

Wes Johnson. Transferred to cuse. Ended up being the fourth overall pick.

Watch tape on Hughes. Hes legit.

Projections are projections. Hughes has yet to even suit up for Syracuse. I happen to be of the opinion that Hughes is a wasted scholarship for reasons I've posted many times before. That doesn't make me or anyone else who shares my opinion wrong or right, it makes us less optimistic than you.

Truth be told, Hughes might be the next MCW or Dion (I highly doubt it) but until he does anything on the court for Syracuse, bickering back and forth about who is wrong and who is right is premature conjecture.

I'd be happy if he fell somewhere in between both of our projections, not a dud, but not a stud... a decent role player is probably a more realistic projection at this time.

You're wrong not because I say so or because I'm more "optimistic" than you, but rather because the coaching staff squarely believes that Hughes will be a good player. And certainly not a "wasted scholarship."

I'll trust the staff's evaluation of player capabilities / potential over yours. No offense.

Last edited: