Elijah Hughes | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

You're wrong not because I say so or because I'm more "optimistic" than you, but rather because the coaching staff squarely believes that Hughes will be a good player. And certainly not a "wasted scholarship."

I'll trust the staff's evaluation of player capabilities / potential over yours. No offense.

I'd prefer that we all avoid absolute statements like you're wrong or I'm right because neither is true. Even the coaching staff has made errors in judgement with players in the past. It is possible that the staff is accurate in it's assessment of Hughes, and it's possible they have overestimated him.

I think this forum would run a lot more smoothly if we could stop trying to be determined to be right or wrong about anything, and just respect each other's right to express an opinion without claiming any authority.

I am not right but I am not wrong, and neither are you. That's what this forum is supposed to be about, an open dialogue. For the record, I hope you and the staff are right about Hughes because we REALLY need him to be good.

Last edited:
Wes Johnson is clearly the outlier.

FRESHMAN: 12.3 points, 7.9 rebounds, ALL BIG12 freshman team although he didn't shoot it well from 3.
SOPHOMORE: 12.4 points, 4 rebounds he had to play a lot of guard and also played through injury. His 3pt percentage was respectable at 33% and he shot 79% from the FT line but shot only 45% on 2pt shots.
JUNIOR: 16.5 points, 8.5 rebounds, basically 2 ass/blk/stl per game and BEPOY shooting 42% from distance. He had a year off to get healthy, work on his shot, learn the zone and then he got to play his natural position, forward.

Wes was a very good college player right out of the gate at a P5 school. Some weird stuff happened his soph season that stopped him from progressing a lot as a player. If I recall we all expected Wes to be a very good player for us. There were rave practice reviews about and quite a buzz coming into the season. He ended up being better than any of us expected but looking at his time at ISU we already knew he was a high major performer and talent.

Hughes has the size and athletic ability to be an ACC caliber wing. He played on a bad team in a bad conference and had bad shooting numbers as a freshman. Had he played starters minutes he would have been a low double digit scorer. Its hard to extrapolate a whole lot from that but its only natural to question his shooting based off those numbers. The staff really likes him. I think he can be a rotational player for us next year. He looks to be an active defender and gives us flexibility since he projects to play the 2 and 3 for us. I don't know how much of an offensive impact he can give us next year but 8 points in 20min a game while shooting poorly at least tells me that he is offensive minded. I am hoping that a season of work, better talent surrounding him and better shot selection can lead to efficient scoring for him. All that said anyone expecting him to have a Wes Johnson impact next season is setting their sights too high. IMO this kid was brought in with the expectation that he will be around for 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
FRESHMAN: 12.3 points, 7.9 rebounds, ALL BIG12 freshman team although he didn't shoot it well from 3.
SOPHOMORE: 12.4 points, 4 rebounds he had to play a lot of guard and also played through injury. His 3pt percentage was respectable at 33% and he shot 79% from the FT line but shot only 45% on 2pt shots.
JUNIOR: 16.5 points, 8.5 rebounds, basically 2 ass/blk/stl per game and BEPOY shooting 42% from distance. He had a year off to get healthy, work on his shot, learn the zone and then he got to play his natural position, forward.

Wes was a very good college player right out of the gate at a P5 school. Some weird stuff happened his soph season that stopped him from progressing a lot as a player. If I recall we all expected Wes to be a very good player for us. There were rave practice reviews about and quite a buzz coming into the season. He ended up being better than any of us expected but looking at his time at ISU we already knew he was a high major performer and talent.

Hughes has the size and athletic ability to be an ACC caliber wing. He played on a bad team in a bad conference and had bad shooting numbers as a freshman. Had he played starters minutes he would have been a low double digit scorer. Its hard to extrapolate a whole lot from that but its only natural to question his shooting based off those numbers. The staff really likes him. I think he can be a rotational player for us next year. He looks to be an active defender and gives us flexibility since he projects to play the 2 and 3 for us. I don't know how much of an offensive impact he can give us next year but 8 points in 20min a game while shooting poorly at least tells me that he is offensive minded. I am hoping that a season of work, better talent surrounding him and better shot selection can lead to efficient scoring for him. All that said anyone expecting him to have a Wes Johnson impact next season is setting their sights too high. IMO this kid was brought in with the expectation that he will be around for 3 or 4 years.
My impression is that Hughes is a big strong football player who chose basketball late. Staff saw him as a freshman(did not offer) and see him now and offer. Something has drastically changed with him that they offer him knowing he's gonna sit and we are so desperate for scholarships at this time of rebuilding . He must be making huge strides and ceiling is probably not even in sight yet. Forget previous stats. He's bringing something big to the party after a year of further coaching and assimilation. My guess

My impression is that Hughes is a big strong football player who chose basketball late. Staff saw him as a freshman(did not offer) and see him now and offer. Something has drastically changed with him that they offer him knowing he's gonna sit and we are so desperate for scholarships at this time of rebuilding . He must be making huge strides and ceiling is probably not even in sight yet. Forget previous stats. He's bringing something big to the party after a year of further coaching and assimilation. My guess

While that may all be true expecting him to be conference POY like Wes was is unrealistic.

While that may all be true expecting him to be conference POY like Wes was is unrealistic.
Never said that and I agree Wes was special but to take a player to sit a year when the cupboard is bare says a lot about his " perceived " potential and I m guessing, not having seen him play live, that he make be an athletic freak worth betting on.

I dont think anyone is expecting that but you never know, and i think he looks good on film. I dont put too much stock into his frosh year. He missed 8 games due to injury but had games of 18 pts v cinci, 14 v uconn, 17 v temple and 15 v smu. Also the kid is 6'6", 220 lbs as a frosh aka he has NBA body. His shooting form looks good.

In summary, I think the tone some people are taking in this thread is selling this kid short.

Why is Syracuse basketball interested in East Carolina transfer Elijah Hughes?

Last edited:
Hughes needs to be better than 2018 recruit we could have gotten.

We only have 2 spots right now and others will open up. I just hope the staff recruits more than 2 prospects and banks on other players leaving after this year.

Hypothetical situation:

What if I heard that the most reputable meteorologist in Syracuse predicted a tornado in Syracuse tomorrow.

I post "There will be a tornado in Syracuse tomorrow."

Am I right or wrong?

Answer: Wrong, because it is written as an absolute fact. Until tomorrow comes and goes with or without a tornado no one knows for sure. It is merely a projection by a reputable meteorologist.

Now let's apply the same logic to this Hughes thread.

Let's pretend that JB stated Hughes is a fantastic basketball player and we are lucky to have him join the program.

If I post,"Hughes will be the next MCW. He's going to be a stud."

Am I right or wrong?

Answer: Wrong. Because it is written as absolute fact. Until Hughes plays for Syracuse it is merely a projection by the reputable head coach and a poster on the message board.

•••Why am I writing this, you ask? I'm doing this to point out the lack of logic behind what many people post here. Its totally 100% ok to think Hughes is a stud or a dud. But it's not ok to call anyone on this board "wrong" for expressing an opinion, especially when it is phrased as an opinion.

The fact is, I don't know what Hughes will add to the team any more than the rest of us. Just because I think he is unworthy of a scholarship doesn't make me wrong. I might be proven wrong in 2-3 years.

And yes, JB and staff might have a better idea, BUT until Hughes plays for Syracuse, NO ONE including JB knows with certainty. And no one should be calling anyone right or wrong.

Last edited:

We only have 2 spots right now and others will open up. I just hope the staff recruits more than 2 prospects and banks on other players leaving after this year.

well, there's a question that we will never know the answer to, unless of course the kid turns into kobe Bryant ;)

Hypothetical situation:

What if I heard that the most reputable meteorologist in Syracuse predicted a tornado in Syracuse tomorrow.

I post "There will be a tornado in Syracuse tomorrow."

Am I right or wrong?

Answer: Wrong, because it is written as an absolute fact. Until tomorrow comes and goes with or without a tornado no one knows for sure. It is merely a projection by a reputable meteorologist.

Now let's apply the same logic to this Hughes thread.

Let's pretend that JB stated Hughes is a fantastic basketball player and we are lucky to have him join the program.

If I post,"Hughes will be the next MCW. He's going to be a stud."

Am I right or wrong?

Answer: Wrong. Because it is written as absolute fact. Until Hughes plays for Syracuse it is merely a projection by the reputable head coach and a poster on the message board.

•••Why am I writing this, you ask? I'm doing this to point out the lack of logic behind what many people post here. Its totally 100% ok to think Hughes is a stud or a dud. But it's not ok to call anyone on this board "wrong" for expressing an opinion, especially when it is phrased as an opinion.

The fact is, I don't know what Hughes will add to the team any more than the rest of us. Just because I think he is unworthy of a scholarship doesn't make me wrong. I might be proven wrong in 2-3 years.

And yes, JB and staff might have a better idea, BUT until Hughes plays for Syracuse, NO ONE including JB knows with certainty. And no one should be calling anyone right or wrong.

Good grief. This may come as a surprise to you, but words mean things.

When you express an opinion that runs counter to what members of the coaching staff have expressed, then don't shoot the messenger for pointing that out. If you want to take the stance that your stance can't be proven / unproven for several seasons -- fine. But this is a bulletin board, where people discuss topics and disagree all the time. My advice would be to not take it so personally. You were the one who actively sought out my post which expressed something you didn't agree with, not the reverse.

Good grief. This may come as a surprise to you, but words mean things.

When you express an opinion that runs counter to what members of the coaching staff have expressed, then don't shoot the messenger for pointing that out. If you want to take the stance that your stance can't be proven / unproven for several seasons -- fine. But this is a bulletin board, where people discuss topics and disagree all the time. My advice would be to not take it so personally. You were the one who actively sought out my post which expressed something you didn't agree with, not the reverse.

You are right words have significant meaning. I have no issue with you pointing out that my opinion differs from that of the consensus. There's a big difference between saying "you are wrong," and "I think differently because the staff really likes him."

Let's be more conscientious about what we post and think about how it sounds to others. I don't think I'm overly sensitive. I think it's pretty universal that NO ONE enjoys being called, "wrong" or "completely off."

Perhaps I should've scrolled past your post, but statements that are opinion written as fact are misleading. I am very careful about how I phrase things now, and if I offended you I am sorry.

I will never post that you or anyone else are "wrong" or "completely off" (even if I think so). I might explain why I think differently, but I will not say someone else is wrong for expressing their opinion (so long as it's written as an opinion and not fact)

I think if we all followed this it would be a far more enjoyable board to post on. I happen to think posting a view that differs from the consensus is how we learn to see different stances, and come up with new ideas. Anyhow, best wishes.

Last edited:
I dont think anyone is expecting that but you never know, and i think he looks good on film. I dont put too much stock into his frosh year. He missed 8 games due to injury but had games of 18 pts v cinci, 14 v uconn, 17 v temple and 15 v smu. Also the kid is 6'6", 220 lbs as a frosh aka he has NBA body. His shooting form looks good.

In summary, I think the tone some people are taking in this thread are selling this kid short.

Why is Syracuse basketball interested in East Carolina transfer Elijah Hughes?

This is an example of a good post. Even though I don't share the same optimism, his words are not denigrating anyone. And he concludes," I think the tone that some people are taking in this thread are selling this kid short." This is worded as an opinion, not fact.

I respect that. Good post!

of course, that depends on what you mean by "better." if we run out of room while some five star or high 4 star recruits with marginal interest in SU are still out there, I'm sure some will point at Hughes as a mistake.

but right from the start, we know that we will be adding a player who is physically mature and who has spent a year practicing against ACC guards including a potential NBA first round pick. That is a bird in the hand that I think is way more valuable than anything out there other than a certified one-and--done candidate.

Last edited:
You are right words have significant meaning. I have no issue with you pointing out that my opinion differs from that of the consensus. There's a big difference between saying "you are wrong," and "I think differently because the staff really likes him."

Let's be more conscientious about what we post and think about how it sounds to others. I don't think I'm overly sensitive. I think it's pretty universal that NO ONE enjoys being called, "wrong" or "completely off."

Perhaps I should've scrolled past your post, but statements that are opinion written as fact are misleading. I am very careful about how I phrase things now, and if I offended you I am sorry.

I will never post that you or anyone else are "wrong" or "completely off" (even if I think so). I might explain why I think differently, but I will not say someone else is wrong for expressing their opinion (so long as it's written as an opinion and not fact)

I think if we all followed this it would be a far more enjoyable board to post on. I happen to think posting a view that differs from the consensus is how we learn to see different stances, and come up with new ideas. Anyhow, best wishes.

Only thing is, I didn't call you "wrong" or "completely off." I was speaking to two posters that I have an existing relationship with on this forum.

You yourself then decided to chime in, disagreeing with what I conveyed and volunteering that you didn't agree, and taking umbridge with me telling them that their takes were "wrong" [incidentally, an ongoing conversation that I've had with them about Hughes for weeks, BTW]. And my perspective is based upon first hand information from the coaches, not speculative opinion. You can choose to accept it as such or discount it -- entirely up to you. Likewise, best wishes either way.

Only thing is, I didn't call you "wrong" or "completely off." I was speaking to two posters that I have an existing relationship with on this forum.

You yourself then decided to chime in, disagreeing with what I conveyed and volunteering that you didn't agree, and taking umbridge with me telling them that their takes were "wrong" [incidentally, an ongoing conversation that I've had with them about Hughes for weeks, BTW]. And my perspective is based upon first hand information from the coaches, not speculative opinion. You can choose to accept it as such or discount it -- entirely up to you. Likewise, best wishes either way.

Fair enough, but as someone who has been censored (all of my posts require moderator approval before they appear) for over a month now because of one off day posting, I pay particular note to how others word things. Maybe I did jump into a conversation that wasn't directed at me. I did not state that anyone's opinion was wrong though. I stated that writing opinion and calling it fact is wrong, big difference.

But this is a public board, and spewing opinion as fact and calling ANYONE wrong or off sets an example for others. I have been called out for it. I have been expected to place much greater thought into the posts that I submit, while many others denigrate the opinions of others on a regular basis. I'm sorry if you feel singled out. Welcome to my world. Peace.

Last edited:
Something else to ponder...

The opinion of the staff is not the gospel.

The staff have a good track record of recruiting high school kids and transfers. But they do miss on their assessment of some players.

I don't say this to put down our staff or JB. I think by and large they have continually kept our program stocked with good players. I write this to demonstrate that the staff is fallible.

Just because a poster hears something from the staff. or even if JB himself posted on this board saying that Hughes is a great player and a good catch, it would still be his opinion. I might be more inclined to listen because I respect JB's opinion. But ultimately, I will always look through all the facts myself, and come to my own conclusions, and that does not make my opinion wrong.

Last edited:

The staff have a good track record of recruiting high school kids and transfers. But they do miss on their assessment of some players.

I don't say this to put down our staff or JB. I think by and large they have continually kept our program stocked with good players. I write this to demonstrate that the staff is fallible.

Just because a poster hears something from the staff. or even if JB himself posted on this board saying that Hughes is a great player and a good catch, it would still be his opinion. I might be more inclined to listen because I respect JB's opinion. But ultimately, I will always look through all the facts myself, and come to my own conclusions, and that does not make my opinion wrong.
In fact, in the church if SU MBB, it is Gospel. Just saying.

I see -- so after writing post after post outlining that you don't like to be told that you're wrong, and not to talk it absolutes, you go to painstaking lengths to point out that it is wrong of me to suggest that someone expressing a viewpoint similar to yours is wrong, and then make another post rationalizing that the coaches can be wrong. All while complimenting yourself on open minded objectivity! ;)

At the end of the day, if you don't like having your opinions debated and / or disagreed with, then maybe a sports bulletin board isn't the right place for you.

Last edited:
I see -- so after writing post after post outlining that you don't like to be told that you're wrong, you go to painstaking lengths to point out that I'm wrong for insinuating that you might be wrong, and then make another post rationalizing that the coaches can be wrong. Got it.

At the end of the day, if you don't like having your opinions debated and / or disagreed with, then maybe a sports bulletin board isn't the right place for you.

It's unfortunate that you don't get the point I'm making. Carry on. Peace!