Embarrassing | Syracusefan.com

Embarrassing

bnoro

Lurker
No, not the team on the floor who worked their asses off last night. It's getting harder and harder to defend the actions of some of our fan base. I don't ever remember it being this bad. Went to both games in Brooklyn over the past two days, and had some great seats for both. Was 7 rows behind the bench last night (easily the best seats I've had).

While a few of the people around us might not have watched Syracuse play this year and apparently were surprised our offense was terrible, most of them were passionate and appreciated the effort on the floor... except for the "gentleman" two rows behind us. This guy was literally rooting against Frank Howard, who he called "the worst player he's ever seen at Syracuse". He moaned the entire game, got in arguments with myself, and other SU fans in the section. But there's no excuse for being that close to the bench and screaming "Frank, you f***ng suck".

As a fans, we should have great expectations. I want success as much as the next guy. But the level of entitlement some bad eggs in our fan base have shown, especially in these neutral site games, is just plain embarrassing. Disparaging our own players in earshot is BS. When did we get to a point where we think we're a blue blood? It's absolutely ridiculous.

No, not the team on the floor. It's getting harder and harder to defend the actions of some of our fan base. I don't ever remember it being this bad. Went to both games in Brooklyn over the past two days, and had some great seats for both. Was 7 rows behind the bench last night (easily the best seats I've had).

While a few of the people around us might not have watched Syracuse play this year and apparently were surprised our offense was terrible, most of them were passionate and appreciated the effort on the floor... except for the "gentleman" two rows behind us. This guy was literally rooting against Frank Howard, who he called "the worst player he's ever seen at Syracuse". He moaned the entire game, got in arguments with myself, and other SU fans in the section. But there's no excuse for being that close to the bench and screaming "Frank, you ***ng suck".

As a fans, we should have great expectations. I want success as much as the next guy. But the level of entitlement some bad eggs in our fan base have shown, especially in these neutral site games, is just plain embarrassing. Disparaging our own players in earshot is BS. When did we get to a point where we think we're a blue blood? It's absolutely ridiculous.
That's terrible.

Frank was frustrating at times this year, but dang, he's not playing his best position. He's taking one for a team that has NO PG. He was the best and only option. Have to go with the "Not 10 F-ing game" reference here!

If we had a true PG and Frank got to play off the ball, we would have had very little to complain about with him.

No, not the team on the floor. It's getting harder and harder to defend the actions of some of our fan base. I don't ever remember it being this bad. Went to both games in Brooklyn over the past two days, and had some great seats for both. Was 7 rows behind the bench last night (easily the best seats I've had).

While a few of the people around us might not have watched Syracuse play this year and apparently were surprised our offense was terrible, most of them were passionate and appreciated the effort on the floor... except for the "gentleman" two rows behind us. This guy was literally rooting against Frank Howard, who he called "the worst player he's ever seen at Syracuse". He moaned the entire game, got in arguments with myself, and other SU fans in the section. But there's no excuse for being that close to the bench and screaming "Frank, you ***ng suck".

Tough break sitting two rows behind francopizza. I think we can compete with the blue bloods but this was not the year for that. We knew going in what the situation was and I feel like we came out better than I could have hoped. Really proud of the effort this team showed. Kids were out there giving everything they had. You see Chukwu running up and down the court with a bad back and blocking shots and giving everything he had. Sidibe is doing everything he can do on 1 leg.

That's what pisses me off the most. If you've watched this team play this year, you know it's a flawed team. But it's a team that works. It's a team that gives effort. It's a team that likes playing with each other. They pushed as far as they could, we're just missing a few key pieces.

Every single time Frank took a shot this kid was screaming to "get him out" (who would we put in?) and calling him trash.

No, not the team on the floor who worked their asses off last night. It's getting harder and harder to defend the actions of some of our fan base. I don't ever remember it being this bad. Went to both games in Brooklyn over the past two days, and had some great seats for both. Was 7 rows behind the bench last night (easily the best seats I've had).

During the moment of silence for the UNC announcer that passed away, did you hear the SU fan yell out “Lets go orange”?

We have many sad fans. Live and on the Internet.

What a disgrace...These kids had tons of heart this year and Jimmy even said so, I am extremely proud of them giving it 110 percent despite the lack of depth, injuries, etc...It is how I live my life and teach my children, to always give it everything you got. If you try and fail there is nothing to be ashamed of. This team has more heart than any I have seen this year.

Was it a young kid with a Syracuse shirt sitting with two UNC kids? I was next to him. Some older guy toward the end of the game went after him about it and the kid was shouting that all his family went to cuse.

During the moment of silence for the UNC announcer that passed away, did you hear the SU fan yell out “Lets go orange”?

We have many sad fans. Live and on the Internet.

That was awful. Awful.

That's terrible.

Frank was frustrating at times this year, but dang, he's not playing his best position. He's taking one for a team that has NO PG. He was the best and only option. Have to go with the "Not 10 -ing game" reference here!

If we had a true PG and Frank got to play off the ball, we would have had very little to complain about with him.

That’s been my feeling as well but I’ve been scolded just for suggesting that. That’s pretty sad that a grown man would be yelling like that in a game. Like bnoro said; who else is going to be subbed in? Not cool.

That guy is obviously a major idiot.

Get into the game, be passionate but flat out screaming to our players that they suck is just childish and not indicative of a fan most of us want.

That's what pisses me off the most. If you've watched this team play this year, you know it's a flawed team. But it's a team that works. It's a team that gives effort. It's a team that likes playing with each other. They pushed as far as they could, we're just missing a few key pieces.

Every single time Frank took a shot this kid was screaming to "get him out" (who would we put in?) and calling him trash.

Ridiculous. And shameful.

Yes, it's ok to be frustrated with the players/style of play/results of this year, if that's what floats your boat.
But to scream those frustrations at OUR OWN PLAYERS, WHILE THEY ARE PLAYING, is ridiculous.

I love hearing from those who say "take him out!"
And play WHOM? Bayer? Little Red? Somebody from the stands?

IF back earlier in the year, when we knew we'd lost TT, and Geno, and then Howard Washington went down, and then Moyer got hurt (and Frank, AND Dib, AND PC - and pretty much everybody else) - you would have offered us the chance that this team would:

Have a winning record, keeping our streak alive
Win 20 games
FINALLY win a damn ACCT game
Have a shot at making the NCAA tournament (and not having to win the ACCT to do so)

I'm pretty sure 99.44 out of 100 SU fans would have JUMPED at that offer on the spot.

And now we've gotten exactly that, which frankly, exceeded expectations that any rational fan would have had, and people are grumbling about it??

You only need to look at teams like UConn, Pitt, GTown, etc - to see just how ugly this season really could have been.
There but for the grace of JB go I.

Was it a young kid with a Syracuse shirt sitting with two UNC kids? I was next to him. Some older guy toward the end of the game went after him about it and the kid was shouting that all his family went to cuse.
Yep. I was one of the people arguing with him, in front of the older gentleman.

"I'm 27 years old and my grandfather mother father blah blah blah all went to SU and he's the worst player I've seen in my whole time watching"

He must not remember Sean Williams...

I said it last night but the showing in general was terrible for this game. The Cuse fans yelled louder for the Bojangles give away then at any point during the game. The team was playing back to back and needed some energy but go zero. Ppl tried some lets go orange chants but they died out so quick. It was the most disappointing I have felt as a Cuse fan. We have been crushed with disappointing losses in the past but at least there was some enthusiasm.

You get this on the road sometimes. At the GT game, a Cuse fan in front of me kept screaming to put Moyer in...for some offense? Ehhh, what?

Frank seems to be the fans whipping boy this year even though he's been better than Battle in half the games we've played.

Last night was pretty bad, even as a Frank supporter, but if you're going to demean someone vocally, do it to the refs. If you watched the GT game and saw what Jose Alvarado was doing, it's pretty much the blueprint UNC had and it's incumbent on the officials to actually officiate. A 6'5/6'6 Guard is always going to have problems with a quick little midget defender who's allowed to tug, push, pull and handcheck him. ...not just Frank.

"I'm 27 years old and my grandfather mother father blah blah blah all went to SU and he's the worst player I've seen in my whole time watching"

Yea, I had to listen to him the entire time. He was a clown. I guess the only good thing was he showed up.

Frank would be a great 3rd or 4th option but making him the 1st or 2nd option is the issue. He is to mistake prone to have that much responsibility. If they get some offensive players to come in next year and he can relax more and not force everything. To see the progression in his three point shooting from freshman year to now shows he isn't the worst player in school history by a mile.

I said it last night but the showing in general was terrible for this game. The Cuse fans yelled louder for the Bojangles give away then at any point during the game. The team was playing back to back and needed some energy but go zero. Ppl tried some lets go orange chants but they died out so quick. It was the most disappointing I have felt as a Cuse fan. We have been crushed with disappointing losses in the past but at least there was some enthusiasm.

I hear that. In defense of some of the fans though this product is really difficult to watch. I mean it is the same rinse ‘n repeat stuff which ends up in the shot clock winding down and a high degree of difficulty play from Tyus and Frank. There is no purposeful ball movement except for hot potato stuff. In theory you are right and I’m certainly not defending that idiot who was yelling that garbage; but it’s just hard to get behind a team (regardless of how hard they fight) when it is this ugly. I think the majority of the building didn’t think SU had a chance anyways so there’s that creeping into the subconscious. Maybe that’s unfair but it is my theory.

You should have asked him where he was 2 weeks ago when we played the same team and Frank scored 23, was 5/10 from 3 and only had 2 turnovers. People like him only come out of the woodwork when they can be negative and are quiet other times.

You get this on the road sometimes. At the GT game, a Cuse fan in front of me kept screaming to put Moyer in...for some offense? Ehhh, what?

Frank seems to be the fans whipping boy this year even though he's been better than Battle in half the games we've played.

Last night was pretty bad, even as a Frank supporter, but if you're going to demean someone vocally, do it to the refs. If you watched the GT game and saw what Jose Alvarado was doing, it's pretty much the blueprint UNC had and it's incumbent on the officials to actually officiate. A 6'5/6'6 Guard is always going to have problems with a quick little midget defender who's allowed to tug, push, pull and handcheck him. ...not just Frank.

Find a replay of the Kentucky-WVU game. SGA had no problems with their pesky defenders and full court D.

I hear that. In defense of some of the fans though this product is really difficult to watch. I mean it is the same rinse ‘n repeat stuff which ends up in the shot clock winding down and a high degree of difficulty play from Tyus and Frank. There is no purposeful ball movement except for hot potato stuff. In theory you are right and I’m certainly not defending that idiot who was yelling that garbage; but it’s just hard to get behind a team (regardless of how hard they fight) when it is this ugly. I think the majority of the building didn’t think SU had a chance anyways so there’s that creeping into the subconscious. Maybe that’s unfair but it is my theory.
That's the thing though. Me and my friends knew we probably wouldn't win the game, but you bet your ass I'm going to be loud and get behind the team. There seemed to be a contingent of guys there who wanted us to fail so they could complain. It was ridiculous.

You should have asked him where he was 2 weeks ago when we played the same team and Frank scored 23, was 5/10 from 3 and only had 2 turnovers. People like him only come out of the woodwork when they can be negative and are quiet other times.
He didn't want to hear it, I made a comment about his play this year and he proceeded to mock me and the other people in the section while Frank was getting us back into the game.

Find a replay of the Kentucky-WVU game. SGA had no problems with their pesky defenders and full court D.
Frank had no problems with them the first time either.

I probably won't do that but I'll take your word for it. I've just never seen a game like Jose Alvarado was allowed to play be officiated as such until last night. I honestly think Roy watched that and knowing the depth he has went Rick Pitino betting officials won't call constant fouling on the perimeter.

There were plays where Frank (and Tyus) were literally bumped 2 feet off their spot on a dribble drive and no foul was called, meanwhile Chukwu couldn't breathe too heavy without getting a whistle.

That's the thing though. Me and my friends knew we probably wouldn't win the game, but you bet your ass I'm going to be loud and get behind the team. There seemed to be a contingent of guys there who wanted us to fail so they could complain. It was ridiculous.

That’s weird. Why even attend?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom