Embarrassing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Embarrassing

Frank had no problems with them the first time either.

I probably won't do that but I'll take your word for it. I've just never seen a game like Jose Alvarado was allowed to play be officiated as such until last night. There were plays where Frank (and Tyus) were literally bumped 2 feet off their spot on a dribble drive and no foul was called.

I don’t know. There were a couple of questionable Alvarado plays but I didn’t think it was out of whack or anything. He doesn’t attack it well at times. Alvarado isn’t a problem for most teams and if you look at GT games opposing PGs generally torch them.

As for UNC II, I think Berry was embarrassed with how he played in Syracuse on D and decided to actually move his feet this time and get a little physical. This all gets magnified with Frank beacuse he is what he is with the ball.

Frank would be a great 3rd or 4th option but making him the 1st or 2nd option is the issue. He is to mistake prone to have that much responsibility. If they get some offensive players to come in next year and he can relax more and not force everything. To see the progression in his three point shooting from freshman year to now shows he isn't the worst player in school history by a mile.

I think we've all said things privately about these players or coaches in the heat of the moment when we're throwing our remote at the TV, but it's a completely different level of immaturity to vocalize such offensive language live and in range of the intended player. Enough has been said about it, let's move on.

Re: Frank, moving him off the ball is only part of the issue. His handle is still too suspect to be a starting-caliber guard if we want to become an upper echelon ACC team. I think his ideal role in JB's system is as a backup 2G with situational duty. Unfortunately his confidence and attitude would probably take a big hit if that were to happen.

I don’t know. There were a couple of questionable Alvarado plays but I didn’t think it was out of whack or anything. He doesn’t attack it well at times. Alvarado isn’t a problem for most teams and if you look at GT games opposing PGs generally torch them.

As for UNC II, I think Berry was embarrassed with how he played in Syracuse on D and decided to actually move his feet this time and get a little physical. This all gets magnified with Frank beacuse he is what he is with the ball.
Most teams Alvarado goes up against don't have giant lanky point guards. At the GT game, it was clear that he wanted to frustrate Frank. Not sure if it was shown on tv but he was constantly bumping, chirping, and pulling his jersey in between plays.

I will say that I think Frank can get visibly frustrated and certain players seize on that. When the officials allow them to play like that all game, it can definitely wear you down. ...especially since he literally can't take a break to reset his mind.

Most teams Alvarado goes up against don't have giant lanky point guards. At the GT game, it was clear that he wanted to frustrate Frank. Not sure if it was shown on tv but he was constantly bumping, chirping, and pulling his jersey in between plays.

I will say that I think Frank can get visibly frustrated and certain players seize on that. When the officials allow them to play like that all game, it can definitely wear you down. ...especially since he literally can't take a break to reset his mind.

He’s asked to do too much that’s for sure.

That's terrible.

Frank was frustrating at times this year, but dang, he's not playing his best position. He's taking one for a team that has NO PG. He was the best and only option. Have to go with the "Not 10 -ing game" reference here!

If we had a true PG and Frank got to play off the ball, we would have had very little to complain about with him.

He'd also be playing about 6 mins a game while Tyus took a breather. With that said, he exceeded all of our expectations this year and I'm hopeful that he makes another leap this offseason and then is capable of dealing with more limited responsibilities next year.

I thought Alvarado was all over Frank the entire game but realized in the first 5 minutes it wasn't going to be called. I think the issue I see in that game is that we score 50 points and shoot 30% from the field so there are more people not playing well that just Frank. I put that game more on Marek and Chukwu if I remember right. They allowed people to get inside and score more than we can allow against a team like that.

I think we've all said things privately about these players or coaches in the heat of the moment when we're throwing our remote at the TV, but it's a completely different level of immaturity to vocalize such offensive language live and in range of the intended player. Enough has been said about it, let's move on.

Re: Frank, moving him off the ball is only part of the issue. His handle is still too suspect to be a starting-caliber guard if we want to become an upper echelon ACC team. I think his ideal role in JB's system is as a backup 2G with situational duty. Unfortunately his confidence and attitude would probably take a big hit if that were to happen.
Even if that is true JB is to stubborn to make that change. He is more comfortable working through the same mistakes then trying something new. Hopefully Frank works on ball handling more.

Frank is going to be the point guard next year. If you follow Boeheim's history, he highly values loyalty. For him to play a freshman over a senior who was as good as Frank was this year and played 40 mins a game every game, isn't going to happen.

Frank is capable of playing the point for a period of time. Next year is different. Jalen Carey is a combo guard who can score where as Tyus is a traditional 2G. Next year there will be some sharing of PG responsibilities.

Frank is going to be the point guard next year. If you follow Boeheim's history, he highly values loyalty. For him to play a freshman over a senior who was as good as Frank was this year and played 40 mins a game every game, isn't going to happen.

Facts.

Frank is capable of playing the point for a period of time. Next year is different. Jalen Carey is a combo guard who can score where as Tyus is a traditional 2G. Next year there will be some sharing of PG responsibilities.
JB essentially already tried that this year. Battle started bringing the ball up more and more as the season went on.

JB essentially already tried that this year. Battle started bringing the ball up more and more as the season went on.
I know but it doesn't happen for long stretches because it doesn't fit TB skill set. Carey will be fine doing it. That was more my point.

It's funny, I ran into a guy like this at the Duke game a couple weeks ago, said he was born and raised in Syracuse but now lives in NC and he was piling on Dolezaj the entire game. I had my daughter with me so was more than tolerant but with about 5 minutes into the 2nd half, I asked him to tone it down. He thought I was getting pissed about the language which I could care less as my kids have heard it all before... I just couldn't take the negativity anymore. It was awful. The Duke fans were great to us, the one Cuse fan behind me a total DB

Kudos to the team for their performance this year. We lost 3 players that would have had significant playing time, and many of the guys were dinged up all season or at least during stretches. Our level of talent was good, our height was good, and the level of effort was good but we played with half a team compared with our peers, with holes in the lineup there was no way to overcome. Well done, guys!! I'm still hoping they can get into the NCAA's but hoping more that SU and Washington will meet in whichever tournament they both make.

Unfortunately I've run into this too. Had a Syracuse "fan" near me at the NCAA tournament years ago screaming non-stop at Rak and going on about how much he sucked. Finally my wife turned to him and said "you know, these guys are students at our university. We see them on campus all the time and they're in our classes. They're kids, not professional athletes." Shockingly, he said "I never really thought about it like that" and stopped yelling. I was stunned. I do think Syracuse fans tend to forget these are students because SU is the closest thing to big-time professional sports in central NY.

That's ridiculous, but it's not a SU fan thing. Every fanbase has idiots. I'm not rationalizing it. Heck, I don't even like it when fans heckle opposing college players with "airball". Not sure why it's not considered obnoxious.

No, not the team on the floor who worked their asses off last night. It's getting harder and harder to defend the actions of some of our fan base. I don't ever remember it being this bad. Went to both games in Brooklyn over the past two days, and had some great seats for both. Was 7 rows behind the bench last night (easily the best seats I've had).
I am sorry for your experience but I'm soory to say each fan base has such members. And I point out how alot of the members here jump all over other fan bases saying such exceptions are the rule fot those schools. Can u imagine what a fan from another school in the ACC or just b-ball fan would think about SU fans while watching and hesring that jerk? "Those SU fans are such !" It's such few loud mouthes who create the generalized wrong impressions.
While a few of the people around us might not have watched Syracuse play this year and apparently were surprised our offense was terrible, most of them were passionate and appreciated the effort on the floor... except for the "gentleman" two rows behind us. This guy was literally rooting against Frank Howard, who he called "the worst player he's ever seen at Syracuse". He moaned the entire game, got in arguments with myself, and other SU fans in the section. But there's no excuse for being that close to the bench and screaming "Frank, you ***ng suck".

As a fans, we should have great expectations. I want success as much as the next guy. But the level of entitlement some bad eggs in our fan base have shown, especially in these neutral site games, is just plain embarrassing. Disparaging our own players in earshot is BS. When did we get to a point where we think we're a blue blood? It's absolutely ridiculous.

During the moment of silence for the UNC announcer that passed away, did you hear the SU fan yell out “Lets go orange”?

We have many sad fans. Live and on the Internet.
I heard that and cringed. Surely the first time in watching SU basketball for 60+ years that I was embarrassed to be a fan. If I was there and still a student and still a drinker I would probably have poured a beer over his head.

During the moment of silence for the UNC announcer that passed away, did you hear the SU fan yell out “Lets go orange”?

Every fan base has bad apples in it. No Carolina fan will look disparagingly on 'Cuse fans for one lunatic. What myself and most Tar Heels will remember about Syracuse was how you all behaved in Chapel Hill in 2017 when Coach Roy won his 800 game. I was very impressed with the support your fans gave. After the game all of the Syracuse stayed for the acknowledgements and speeches not only as spectators but with congratulatory applause and standing ovations along with the rest of the Dean Dome. It was very classy on the part of the Orange.

Clientele is down. Anytime I go to any public places, that’s my take...”clientele is down”. Lots of scrubby people who just don’t know how to act. It’s all over the place, sadly.

Last year I had someone at the Dome challenge me to a fight for “cutting” him in the beer line. In reality I was just standing off to the side of the line and my father handed me the beer that he’d bought for me. I told the drunk scrub that I’d meet him out by the monkey bars. I don’t think he understood.

Last edited:
That’s weird. Why even attend?
That's the same thing I ask myself about some of the people who choose to post on this board.

Did you know that all fan bases have sad fans?

If there weren’t sad fans, you’d be cheering for a program that nobody cares about.

Not defending any actions but it’s the reality. Fan is short for fanatic.

Frank has gotten wayyyyy too much hate this year. Yeah he had some rough spots. But I truly believed he's poised for a fantastic senior year. Also it's obvious he's an SG forced to play PG

I was hard on Frank last night. I have been high on Frank all year and his improvement is apparent. He is not a PG and not silent-G. I understand that. My frustration last night was because I know he can do better. There were so many unforced and forced turnovers and early shots. I can't wait until next year when he can play 2 more. The short time we had with Washington and when MD is passing well showcases what Frank can do when is not forced to dribble 20 secs of the shot clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom