Ennis draft | Syracusefan.com

Ennis draft

two3zone

RIP Shark58
I'm just curious on why does it seem like he's a lock to leave this year to a majority of the posters on here.

I personally don't think he's a lock for the lottery.

With Smart and Exum locks to go ahead of him there go 2 out of the 14 picks. Zach Lavine is another guy that could go ahead of him. 11 picks left. Philly has two picks, 9 picks left. Cle, Utah, Boston, and Charlotte don't need point guards (Orlando had two picks as well and I doubt they draft two pg) that leaves 4 picks open with Embiid, Wiggins, Randle, and Parker getting picked.

Call me crazy, but where does Ennis fit in all of this?

why do you think it is a "lock" that Smart and Exum go ahead of him? we've already heard from one anonymous GM who says he would take Ennis over Smart.

why do you eliminate the Sixers? I can imagine a scenario where Philly drops out of the top 3 and grabs Exum to play alongside MCW, giving them a huge, skilled backcourt.

and, of course, there are teams that might trade their picks.

Personally, I think he's gone just because it's the smart thing to do, lottery or not (so long as he is a 1st round lock). Get that extra year of wages and get the clock ticking on your 2nd contract.

If he's a lock for the lottery, he's probably gone. I agree with moqui, Smart is no lock to go before Ennis, and even Exum will have to probably prove himself in workouts.

It's also crazy to speculate about teams needing a PG. Celtics might be willing to deal Rondo if they aren't picking in the top 3. Irving might be out in Cleveland...a team not picking in the top 5 might trade back with a team who wants a PG. No need to worry about this right now.

I'm just curious on why does it seem like he's a lock to leave this year to a majority of the posters on here.

I personally don't think he's a lock for the lottery.

With Smart and Exum locks to go ahead of him there go 2 out of the 14 picks. Zach Lavine is another guy that could go ahead of him. 11 picks left. Philly has two picks, 9 picks left. Cle, Utah, Boston, and Charlotte don't need point guards (Orlando had two picks as well and I doubt they draft two pg) that leaves 4 picks open with Embiid, Wiggins, Randle, and Parker getting picked.

Call me crazy, but where does Ennis fit in all of this?

I am almost always of the opinion that people are going to go pro (I think Grant is 100% gone), and I think fans almost without fail try to talk themselves into people staying using the same tired arguments year after year ("he seems like a guy who likes school"; "he wants to win a championship"; "he comes from a good family"; and the absolute, A #1 stupidest - "he said he's coming back").

But I remain a little skeptical about Ennis. Guys who are top 15 picks go pro. For guys who aren't - especially freshmen - it's a closer call. I know everyone's got him slotted as a top-15 pick right now. He's had a hell of a season and he's a superb college basketball player. Also, I am utterly terrible at predicting NBA success. But with all that, I am skeptical he's a top-15 pick this year. The hype is driven a lot by the team success, and while Ennis undoubtedly has a lot to do with that, he's also got serious talent around him. He is a very smart player who doesn't make mistakes. He does a wonderful job of giving his teammates the ball in a place where they can do damage. All of these are great things, but are they really enough to make a shortish guy with an average shot and trouble finishing (except in the last 5 minutes, it should be admitted) into one of the top 15 picks in a loaded draft? Given that I think the answer is "no"; it's probably a slam dunk.

ffff
I am almost always of the opinion that people are going to go pro (I think Grant is 100% gone), and I think fans almost without fail try to talk themselves into people staying using the same tired arguments year after year ("he seems like a guy who likes school"; "he wants to win a championship"; "he comes from a good family"; and the absolute, A #1 stupidest - "he said he's coming back").

But I remain a little skeptical about Ennis. Guys who are top 15 picks go pro. For guys who aren't - especially freshmen - it's a closer call. I know everyone's got him slotted as a top-15 pick right now. He's had a hell of a season and he's a superb college basketball player. Also, I am utterly terrible at predicting NBA success. But with all that, I am skeptical he's a top-15 pick this year. The hype is driven a lot by the team success, and while Ennis undoubtedly has a lot to do with that, he's also got serious talent around him. He is a very smart player who doesn't make mistakes. He does a wonderful job of giving his teammates the ball in a place where they can do damage. All of these are great things, but are they really enough to make a shortish guy with an average shot and trouble finishing (except in the last 5 minutes, it should be admitted) into one of the top 15 picks in a loaded draft? Given that I think the answer is "no"; it's probably a slam dunk.
Found it interesting that Bilas and Sean were talking about Grant waiting until next year because it is a strong draft this year. They didn't just come up with that on their own. It is not a lock that Ennis or Grant leave.

ffff

Found it interesting that Bilas and Sean were talking about Grant waiting until next year because it is a strong draft this year. They didn't just come up with that on their own. It is not a lock that Ennis or Grant leave.

Eh, I'd bet at least a dollar they said something similar about MCW last year (save the strong draft part) and Waiters the year before.

One rule of thumb I think is useful is that when there are rumblings about a guy leaving before the season even starts, he's gone, absent injuries or a disaster season.

I don't see any scenario where Ennis gets drafted over Smart or Exum baring injury or if one of the guys does something incredibly stupid.

Size and athleticism play a huge role in the draft process and I really don't think the combine is going to do Ennis any favors at all. Ennis is a genius on the court, there is no doubting that but outside of that what his NBA skill?

I'm not craping on the guy by any means, but he is lacking many many things to be a NBA point guard. Is he a first round guy? Sure. Is he a lottery pick next year? If he plays at the same level, sure. Is he a lottery pick this year? I just don't think so. I think the draft is too deep, I think there are players that rank higher above him at his position.

And yes, I believe Smart is without question a lock to go over Ennis in the draft.

This draft isn't as deep as people anticipated. Heard discussion on ESPN Radio today that Embiid might stay another year. Parker has hinted that as well. Now, for argument's sake, those two guys stay in school. Suddenly this draft drops dramatically.

Even if those guys leave school, which I believe they will, then you are looking at those two, Wiggins, Randle, and Exum as the top 5 on most boards. After that it's wide-open. The other Kentucky frosh aren't lighting it up. Gordon and Vonleh have been up and down. This draft should have a ton of quality at the top, but it falls off pretty quickly. If SU makes a FF run and Ennis maintains his play, his stock isn't going to drop. He's a better athlete than many people think.

Eh, I'd bet at least a dollar they said something similar about MCW last year (save the strong draft part) and Waiters the year before.

One rule of thumb I think is useful is that when there are rumblings about a guy leaving before the season even starts, he's gone, absent injuries or a disaster season.
Not always. John Wallace put his name in and pulled it out.

This draft isn't as deep as people anticipated. Heard discussion on ESPN Radio today that Embiid might stay another year. Parker has hinted that as well. Now, for argument's sake, those two guys stay in school. Suddenly this draft drops dramatically.

Even if those guys leave school, which I believe they will, then you are looking at those two, Wiggins, Randle, and Exum as the top 5 on most boards. After that it's wide-open. The other Kentucky frosh aren't lighting it up. Gordon and Vonleh have been up and down. This draft should have a ton of quality at the top, but it falls off pretty quickly. If SU makes a FF run and Ennis maintains his play, his stock isn't going to drop. He's a better athlete than many people think.
So Parker and Embiid might stay but Ennis and Grant are gone? Okay.

Full_Rebar said:
This draft isn't as deep as people anticipated. Heard discussion on ESPN Radio today that Embiid might stay another year. Parker has hinted that as well. Now, for argument's sake, those two guys stay in school. Suddenly this draft drops dramatically. Even if those guys leave school, which I believe they will, then you are looking at those two, Wiggins, Randle, and Exum as the top 5 on most boards. After that it's wide-open. The other Kentucky frosh aren't lighting it up. Gordon and Vonleh have been up and down. This draft should have a ton of quality at the top, but it falls off pretty quickly. If SU makes a FF run and Ennis maintains his play, his stock isn't going to drop. He's a better athlete than many people think.

Why would Embiid stay another year? He's going to be a top 3 pick, probably first or second.

dasher said:

Lot different in those days though. Scary to think that was like 17 years ago... God that makes me feel old.

they are all full of .. embid would be an idiot to not go pro. he is one of those "raw" project types that gm's fawn over..but he's taking a risk staying in college and possibly revealing that raw just remains raw and doesnt translate to excellence. Better to cash in your chips based on potential rather than have to prove you can actually do it.

Was there a lot of talk about him going pro before his junior year started? (Honest question - I was a huge fan at the time but a kid.)

So Parker and Embiid might stay but Ennis and Grant are gone? Okay.

Just telling you what was said today. I don't believe either would stay, but my point was that this "great draft" is only so because of the top 4-5.

I have no idea about Ennis. He could declare and go Top 5 or #15 and it wouldnt suprise me.

Ennis seams like a kid who does things his way. He kind of marches to a different beat. I have no idea what he'll do when presented with an opportunity to go in the lottery.

Just telling you what was said today. I don't believe either would stay, but my point was that this "great draft" is only so because of the top 4-5.

I don't know about that. Put aside your top 5 - Wiggins, Embiid, Parker, Exum, and Randle. I love Vonleh - I think it's very likely he would have been the #1 pick in last year's draft (I guess it is still possible the Cavs would have drafted Anthony Bennett). You don't have Smart in your top 5; he's probably a high-risk/high-reward play but it is clear he's at least as good a prospect as Dion Waiters was, and Waiters went #4. Gordon too is almost certainly a better frontcourt prospect than anyone who came out last year. That's a mighty good top 8.

longislandcuse said:
I have no idea about Ennis. He could declare and go Top 5 or #15 and it wouldnt suprise me.

It wouldn't surprise you if he went top 5? Who does does he get drafted over?

I don't know how Ennis staying would benefit him. He's not going to get any bigger or faster. Yes, his shot could improve, but I get the feeling that he's shooting well enough that the NBA folks are not put off by his shooting now. The only reason I think he would stay would be if he thinks he can get drafted higher because next year is a weaker class. But that means he starts getting paid a year later. Not sure he would move up enough to make up the difference.

I don't know about that. Put aside your top 5 - Wiggins, Embiid, Parker, Exum, and Randle. I love Vonleh - I think it's very likely he would have been the #1 pick in last year's draft (I guess it is still possible the Cavs would have drafted Anthony Bennett). You don't have Smart in your top 5; he's probably a high-risk/high-reward play but it is clear he's at least as good a prospect as Dion Waiters was, and Waiters went #4. Gordon too is almost certainly a better frontcourt prospect than anyone who came out last year. That's a mighty good top 8.

It could be a good 8, but let's be honest, a lot of that is because the last few years have been incredibly weak. Smart is a potentially high reward guy, but the NBA isn't in love with Dion at this point so I don't think that comparison helps Smart one bit. His comments this week about people pointing out his flopping saying others flop is another example of his perceived lack of maturity.

I normally don't think much about anyone leaving untilthe season is over.
But it seems to me Tyler Ennis is definitely a 1 and done.
His court sense is amazing.
Although he does have to get stronger.

But Jerami Grant, on the other hand, could stay.
I doubt his family needs the immediate cash.
And he could benefit substantially with another year in college.
If he can develop a shot, improve his handle and bulk up a little...there's no telling how good he'd be with his physical abilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom