Ennis draft | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis draft

When I watch Smart, I see Derrick Rose-like athleticism, body and potential. I don't think Ennis has that ceiling.

That said, Ennis' downside might be higher (i.e. better) than Smart's.

Totally different players. Most NBA GM's prefer a steady PG who can run a team and not turn the ball over. D Rose get's criticized for being a too much of a shooting guard. And Marcus Smart is no D Rose, just has his size.

Who is knocking Derrick Rose?

just saying if there was a criticism to his game. my point being Marcus Smart is a totally different player then Ennis. Some GM's will prefer 1 version, and some the other

From ESPN.com today

3. What is the most appealing attribute about Tyler Ennis' game for NBA teams?

Goodman: His even-keeled mentality and ability to make quality decisions on the court. He's a pure point guard and makes his teammates better. The freshman rarely makes mistakes, and he plays with the poise and maturity of a senior.

Pelton: His late-game play. Ennis has been more efficient in the clutch this season, and while he mostly set up Jerami Grant down the stretch in Saturday's win over Duke, Syracuse's rise to the top of the rankings should make him more attractive to NBA teams.

Haberstroh: His steal rate. Ford and Pelton have covered this ground already, but that's a big-time indicator for NBA success. We could sit here all day and spit out clichés about how he's "a winner" because of Syracuse's spotless record. But to me, grabbing 2.7 steals per 40 minutes is more telling than his team's success.

Doolittle: It's got to be his decision-making. Most young point guards these days come into the league better suited to get their own shot as opposed to distributing. Ennis has a knack for setting up teammates and can really orchestrate the pick-and-roll.

Elhassan: Decision-making. Despite having the ball in his hands so much and creating much of the offense for Syracuse, Ennis does not turn the ball over very often (11 percent turnover rate). This is an incredibly low rate for a point guard, particularly when you consider he's only 19, and it speaks to his ability to create reward without assuming risk.

What does being a minister have to do with being a good family?

Anyway, that's a very sad, myopic view of higher education. Some place a much higher value on knowledge than that, thankfully.
You can learn ANYTIME. You don't have to be 18-22 years old. You can't always make millions.

After today's events I retract my Marcus Smart being a lock over Ennis. I really think what Smart did today may actually push Ennis into the draft. Before I was at 75% for him staying, I'm probably at a 40% now.

After today's events I retract my Marcus Smart being a lock over Ennis. I really think what Smart did today may actually push Ennis into the draft. Before I was at 75% for him staying, I'm probably at a 40% now.
Ennis is a pure PG; I'm not sure how many NBA teams see Smart as a pure PG. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the 2 players provide different things and I'm not sure Smart falling this hard necessarily changes what teams think of Ennis

jdubs30 said:
Ennis is a pure PG; I'm not sure how many NBA teams see Smart as a pure PG. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the 2 players provide different things and I'm not sure Smart falling this hard necessarily changes what teams think of Ennis

I'm not saying it changes anything what they think. But incidents like this can push somebody out of the lottery and with only a couple of other guys at that position it could make a huge difference.

I don't see any scenario where Ennis gets drafted over Smart or Exum baring injury or if one of the guys does something incredibly stupid.

You sir are a prophet!

Push...that's funny.

Last edited:
FLorange said:
You sir are a prophet! Push...that's funny.

You know, after seeing his little tantrum last week I wanted to cover my butt a little bit with my comment knowing there are a couple of ways for his stock to drop. Didn't realize he'd blow a gasket two days later lol

I'm not sure why Smart's confrontation should impact his NBA standing. ESPN was trying to compare his actions to Ron Artest in the brawl in Detroit but it was nothing like that. His momentum carried him out of bounds on the play that clinched the game for the home team. A fan says something that immediately upset him and they exchange words. Smart gives him a shove and then backs off. Smart alleges he was called a n----- and his reaction is what you would expect if that were true. It's easy to say he should have ignored it and walked away but I'm not African-American so I can't say how "possible" that is or how much to condemn him for his actions.

I think his draft status will be based on what an NBA team thinks of his basketball abilities, not an assessment of his 'character' based on this.

I would be beyond thrilled if either Grant or Ennis returned. I think there is probably a 75%+ chance that both go.

Fwiw

But Saturday's incident has drawn mixed reaction from NBA executives. One current NBA general manager told ESPN that he does not think Smart's draft stock has slipped as a result of the "overblown" incident, saying that Smart is "too good a kid."

But another current NBA GM told ESPN that he thinks the situation will negatively impact Smart's draft stock.

"When you are loved more for your intangibles than your tangibles to begin with, how can it not?" the general manager told ESPN. "I felt sick for the kid, truly saddened by it."

So it will either hurt his draft stock, or it won't. Maybe.

John Lucas III had a few tweets basically saying this fan was talking a lot of smack when he was in school there, which was like a decade ago

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom