Ennis draft | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis draft

One thing I am certain of. If Grant and/or Ennis do leave this year...it will be the last we hear about them for a couple of years other than whining on this board about how they went to the wrong team or how its somebody elses fault that the DNP's are piling up. I don't blame the NBA or the NCAA. It is squarely on the shoulders of the players themselves who become so money driven and greedy that they would rather collect a paycheck to practice than to actually play in a competitive environment.

cuseincincy said:
A - He likes school B - He comes from a good family C - He wants to win a championship D - Someone said he might come back.

Well, it's crazy but I'd you say so.

Col. Bleep said:
I normally don't think much about anyone leaving untilthe season is over. But it seems to me Tyler Ennis is definitely a 1 and done. His court sense is amazing. Although he does have to get stronger. But Jerami Grant, on the other hand, could stay. I doubt his family needs the immediate cash. And he could benefit substantially with another year in college. If he can develop a shot, improve his handle and bulk up a little...there's no telling how good he'd be with his physical abilities.

Well, the problem is that court sense isn't the only thing the NBA looks at or else he probably would be the #1 overall pick.

cuseincincy said:
Those were actually Waltdods reasons. I just clarified them a bit.

And they're still insane.

Was there a lot of talk about him going pro before his junior year started? (Honest question - I was a huge fan at the time but a kid.)

Yup there was a lot of talk, especially with how he played in the NCAA tourney and against Arkansas

Yup there was a lot of talk, especially with how he played in the NCAA tourney and against Arkansas

But that was after his junior year (and that I definitely recall). My original point had been that when there are rumbles before the season, it's very likely the guy's going to be gone. So that was my question - were there rumblings that he would go pro before his junior year kicked off?

What's better to have? A lottery ticket that might be a winner or a lottery ticket that is a big winner?

That's the thinking that needs to go through everyone's head when attempting to determine if a player is staying or going. Guaranteed first rounder means you have a lottery ticket that's a big time winner. Not guaranteed first round selection means you have a lottery ticket that only might be a winner. You decide what you would rather have. I've said it before, coming back when you know you are a first round selection is like burning money. How many people like burning money? I'm not a person that believes one iotta that if a person goes before anyone on this board think they are ready that has any bearing on whether or not that person will stick in the NBA. Whether or not one sticks is entirely dependent on the player and maybe partly on the team that drafts them which is out of the players control in any year. First round busts happen all the time. Heck, #1 pick busts happen all the time. Get paid, or let someone else have your money.

I don't think we'll lose anybody except Keita, Fair and possibly one of the frosh to a transfer.
Ennis is amazing but he is not NBA ready. He not very tall and isn't strong enough to defend at the next level. He needs another year of S & C. If Grant stays he can work himself into a top ten next year. Not a lot of competition and with Ennis McCullough Rak Coleman and Cooney, He'll be the top scorer on a Final Four team. In addition, he comes from NBA Royalty. His father and uncle know to keep him out until he's ready.

I think it is folly to say that a reason not to leave early is because he comes from a good family. What has that got to do with anything. Johnny Flynn's dad was a minister. Will Smith never went to college. (Turned down a full ride to MIT. Not Syracuse. MI T) Great family. Lenny Kravitz. Great family. Lots of money, No college. Mike Dunleavy. Good family, lots of money. 1 year of college.
Unless you are trying to get into a specific academic field (accounting, medicine,) that REQUIRES college as a pre-requisite or an job (CEO, Corp worker) that doesn't hire without a degree, or have no real skill set that will earn you money without a degree, college is for SUCKERS.
If he really wants a degree, guess what. The NBA city in which he plays will have a college from which he can earn a degree, while he makes his millions.
People who want a kid to stay are self serving and selfish and should . Its none of our business or concern if a kid stays or goes. Enjoy the kids who are here. Root for the ones who leave.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/...hered-to-get-a-college-degree.html/?a=viewall
http://elitedaily.com/news/business/100-top-entrepreneurs-succeeded-college-degree/

I don't think we'll lose anybody except Keita, Fair and possibly one of the frosh to a transfer.
Ennis is amazing but he is not NBA ready. He not very tall and isn't strong enough to defend at the next level. He needs another year of S & C. If Grant stays he can work himself into a top ten next year. Not a lot of competition and with Ennis McCullough Rak Coleman and Cooney, He'll be the top scorer on a Final Four team. In addition, he comes from NBA Royalty. His father and uncle know to keep him out until he's ready.
Lets see. All S&C is off season (in season is maintenance.) He can do that between May and October. Good to go, according to your criteria

When I watch Smart, I see Derrick Rose-like athleticism, body and potential. I don't think Ennis has that ceiling.

That said, Ennis' downside might be higher (i.e. better) than Smart's.

But that was after his junior year (and that I definitely recall). My original point had been that when there are rumbles before the season, it's very likely the guy's going to be gone. So that was my question - were there rumblings that he would go pro before his junior year kicked off?

My fault, I totally skipped over "before".

LAOrange said:
I don't think we'll lose anybody except Keita, Fair and possibly one of the frosh to a transfer. Ennis is amazing but he is not NBA ready. He not very tall and isn't strong enough to defend at the next level. He needs another year of S & C. If Grant stays he can work himself into a top ten next year. Not a lot of competition and with Ennis McCullough Rak Coleman and Cooney, He'll be the top scorer on a Final Four team. In addition, he comes from NBA Royalty. His father and uncle know to keep him out until he's ready.

NBA ready doesn't have anything to do with the draft. Ennis goes into the draft not because he's ready but because it's more lucrative for him to go at that time and for the future.

Winning a championship is important to these guys, but as much as it would break most fans hearts, playing in the NBA is the goal for these guys, not a NCAA championship.

coming into the season everyone was talking about Parker,Randal and Wiggins so the conversation was getting old on ESPN. Ennis is the new kid on the block so everyone wants to talk about him.

Jeff goodman has been the one saying it... Said embiid doesn't feel mature enough yet, enjoys college ( something about enjoying eating fast food and candy lol), and his parents don't need the money.
Personally, I'd be shocked if he didn't go pro, it would be an unnecessary risk to stay another year.

I never in a million years thought TE would be OAD, but if he's a consensus lottery pick he's going to leave, and it's the smart thing to do.

And whether or not he leaves will have nothing to do with what he needs to "work on."

I think it is folly to say that a reason not to leave early is because he comes from a good family. What has that got to do with anything. Johnny Flynn's dad was a minister. Will Smith never went to college. (Turned down a full ride to MIT. Not Syracuse. MI T) Great family. Lenny Kravitz. Great family. Lots of money, No college. Mike Dunleavy. Good family, lots of money. 1 year of college.
Unless you are trying to get into a specific academic field (accounting, medicine,) that REQUIRES college as a pre-requisite or an job (CEO, Corp worker) that doesn't hire without a degree, or have no real skill set that will earn you money without a degree, college is for SUCKERS.
If he really wants a degree, guess what. The NBA city in which he plays will have a college from which he can earn a degree, while he makes his millions.
People who want a kid to stay are self serving and selfish and should . Its none of our business or concern if a kid stays or goes. Enjoy the kids who are here. Root for the ones who leave.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/...hered-to-get-a-college-degree.html/?a=viewall
http://elitedaily.com/news/business/100-top-entrepreneurs-succeeded-college-degree/

What does being a minister have to do with being a good family?

Anyway, that's a very sad, myopic view of higher education. Some place a much higher value on knowledge than that, thankfully.

Last edited:
If I was An NBA GM, I would pick the character kids with a refined game... probably wouldn't last long.

Will Smith was a Buckeye! Another one that got away. Should've been at Cuse being the next superstar DE after Freeney!

Uh, Will Smith didn't turn down a free ride to MIT to sit on his throne as the Prince of Bel Air with Uncle Phil. Don't believe everything you read in People or Seventeen or Jet or whatever.

He'll go if he's lottery. His family will make a sound choice.

Uh, Will Smith didn't turn down a free ride to MIT to sit on his throne as the Prince of Bel Air with Uncle Phil. Don't believe everything you read in People or Seventeen or Jet or whatever.

He'll go if he's lottery. His family will make a sound choice.
You're avatar always makes me smile, Navin. Curious where Mr. Smith's options were back in the day. What a great movie! Edit - ukelele scene is special.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom