Ennis goes off for 42 vs. China | Syracusefan.com

Ennis goes off for 42 vs. China

That's not great efficiency, but he did what he needed to do to get the team to win, gotta commend him for that.

I dont want to be debbie downer here, but that volume scoring stuff doesn't impress me. I didnt see the game so I cannot say much as to how he played but just looking at the stats, 4 assists in a 3 ot game...not the best. Im sure he HAS to shoot a bunch for that team but still, 4 assists is kind of crappy.

Trey Lyles Canada's best frontcourt scorer didn't play due to a spained ankle. It looks like the team's 2 best scorers are the starting guards, Tyler and Rathan-Mayes who is headed to Florida State. They are scoring all the points by necessity. A more normal scanario would be for Tyler to shoot less, and have more assists but it's good to know he has a big time offensive game if we need it.

Trey Lyles Canada's best frontcourt scorer didn't play due to a spained ankle. It looks like the team's 2 best scorers are the starting guards, Tyler and Rathan-Mayes who is headed to Florida State. They are scoring all the points by necessity. A more normal scanario would be for Tyler to shoot less, and have more assists but it's good to know he has a big time offensive game if we need it.
It seems like he is able to perform to his role well. The circumstances dictated a scoring role for him and he responded well. Remember his HS team pretty much declared a scoring role game for him after the McD snub and he put up big numbers in that role too. Seems like he can do it when called on.

I dont want to be debbie downer here, but that volume scoring stuff doesn't impress me. I didnt see the game so I cannot say much as to how he played but just looking at the stats, 4 assists in a 3 ot game...not the best. Im sure he HAS to shoot a bunch for that team but still, 4 assists is kind of crappy.
If you ever saw his teammates besides Trey Lyles, who is currently banged up. Then you'll understand why Tyler The Creator has to go in NBA Jam mode for his team to win. Steve Nash and Jason Kidd would struggle to get more than 5 assist on that Canadian team. Tee and others who have seen them play can back me up on that.

Wooot Woooot!!! I'll choose to see the 1/2 full side of the glass and be ecstatic that we have a big time point guard on tap to lace them up for the Orange for our 1st triumphant campaign through the ACC!

If you ever saw his teammates besides Trey Lyles, who is currently banged up. Then you'll understand why Tyler The Creator has to go in NBA Jam mode for his team to win. Steve Nash and Jason Kidd would struggle to get more than 5 assist on that Canadian team. Tee and others who have seen them play can back me up on that.
Word.
Aside from Rathan-Mayes, a shooter and Egi, a dunker, finishes around the rim, there's really not much else going on.
And what I've seen of Egi, he is not exactly a polished post player yet.
If Rathan-Mayes is cold, they've pretty much needed Ennis to carry them.

Wiggy, where are you, my man?
Get your butt out of Kansas!

There's your answer about why he is scoring in volume this tournament.
55 seconds in, straight from the Creator himself.
Just like Francis mentioned. Trey Lyles hurt and no Andrew. Whatever the team needs of him.
He had a few similar games this year when he was asked to score instead of facilitate.

All of his assist numbers have been pretty low and I think I heard that he's in the top 10 with only 3 or 4 per game. That means his teammates can't finish or get in scoring position worth a damn or score-keepers in international ball are really stingy.

Anyway, great performance and I'll take 44% shooting from a guard any day and twice on Sunday. I'd like to see his FT shooting numbers for the game, but 42 points on 34 shots is pretty darn good.

Haven't checked the box score, but I'd be pretty surprised if Ennis' teammates combined to shoot any better than about 40%.

Part of that may be because they're just bad shooters, but I didn't see many set plays in the game against Team USA. Hard to rack up assists if guys aren't getting free or hitting shots when they do.

Thanks for posting that interview, Tee.

Prior to watching, I was excited/hopeful that Tyler Ennis would be up to the task to stepping right into the starting lineup as a Frosh PG & be able to lead the team effectively - but I also had the lingering doubts that come with putting such responsibility on an un-proven Frosh (esp at PG position).

But seeing him be interviewed in that clip & provide thoughtful, insightful & honest answers gives me even more confidence that Tyler just may have the intangibles/smarts/right attitude that often do translate into being successful at the PG position right away.

Kid's been a leader on his HS & AAU teams for years now, and he's doing the exact same thing on Team Canada now - even transitioning from a facilitating PG role to a scoring PG role, necessitated by team needs. Being a natural leader is a trait that translates well from team to team, and I look forward to him continuing his success on the Carrier Dome court this next season.

And, add the fact that Tyler Ennis now has his own "Thurman Thomas Draft Day" type moment (if unfamiliar, read below) to keep him extra motivated - his not being named to the McDonalds All American Team - well, let's just say I am more confident by the day that this will all turnout well for Ennis & Cuse.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/ar...n-Thomas/bd6f13c7-bbf9-4754-8091-37dc4fbfa441

"With all the attention Thomas had received prior to the draft ESPN was also convinced the star tailback would be taken in round one as well and dispatched a camera crew to his apartment off campus in Stillwater, Oklahoma where Thomas would be watching the draft on television.

“I was at my apartment and it was me and my roommate Hart Lee Dykes,” said Thomas. “My mom and dad were there. It was a pretty big deal considering that a lot of the teams, the Rams, the Chargers, New Orleans and the Houston Oilers were all talking about perhaps taking me in the first round. So I was pretty excited about it.”

That is until some other backs went off the board before him.

“Gaston Green went to the Rams at 14 and John Stephens went to New England at 17 and what got me about that was Stephens came out of nowhere and had a great combine workout and he went ahead of me. He was from a Division II school. Then Lorenzo White and Brad Muster and Iron Head (Heyward). By the time it got down to Ickey (Woods) from UNLV and Tony Jeffery from TCU you probably could’ve fried an egg on my head. I was pretty hot by then.”

Before round one had come to a close, the ESPN camera crew chief approached Thomas and asked him if he wanted them to leave in light of how things played out.

“I said, ‘No, you guys came out here and wanted to see me get drafted and you thought I would go in the first round and it would’ve been a great story for ESPN and myself and my family,’” said Thomas. “So when they asked if I wanted them to leave I said, ‘No, you guys are going to stay here until I get drafted.’”

In round two Woods went to Cincinnati with the 31st pick, then Jeffery went 38th to the Cardinals. A short time later Thomas’ phone rang and Bills GM Bill Polian was on the other end of the line making Thomas the 40th overall selection.

“He said he couldn’t wait until I got to Buffalo,” said Thomas. “I can remember him telling me that he told me they needed a running back for them to take the next step. He told me what Mr. Wilson had said in the draft room. There were some questions about my knee and Mr. Wilson had apparently said, ‘Life’s a gamble, so let’s take him.’”

Thomas was happy he was part of an NFL team, but the way draft day had unfolded was anything but acceptable to the newest Buffalo Bill.

“I was happy just to get it over with,” he said. “I was really happy, but I was still a little disappointed. After talking to ESPN, they left and that’s when my family and my teammate Hart Lee Dykes and some of my other teammates came over to congratulate me. My friends and family knew that while I was happy, I was also a little ticked off about it too. And like coach Jones used to tell me, ‘You’re the one guy people don’t want to tick off on the football field.’”

When everyone had cleared out of his apartment except his parents his mother spoke some prophetic words.

“My mom said the same thing that I did,” Thomas recalled. “She said it first. Her words to me were, ‘Baby don’t worry about it. You’re going to prove everybody wrong.’ That stuck with me the day I got drafted, and that process started in my mind right after ESPN left.”

Thomas made a promise to himself that day that all the teams that passed on him were going to pay for not picking him. He was determined to show the entire league that he could be a difference maker, and had a special way of getting himself motivated for each game come his rookie season of 1988.

“I used to watch the tape of the draft Sunday mornings, sometimes Saturday night before I went to the hotel my rookie year in 1988,” said Thomas. “I’d just watch the part leading up to me getting drafted, where they go to commercial and then they come back and ESPN’s Chris Berman said, ‘The phone has finally rung for Thurman Thomas and the Buffalo Bills have come a calling.’ So I would rewind it right to that point and I would watch it just before I went to the hotel or the stadium.”

That pre-game ritual lasted all the way up until the Bills had reached the playoffs when they were ironically matched up against Thomas’ hometown Houston Oilers in what was the first home playoff game in Buffalo in 22 years. He hasn’t watched it since.

For Thomas it’s no longer necessary. His NFL career proved to everyone that seven NFL teams made a big mistake with the running back they chose over him.

“Really when you come down to it and you look at what I accomplished as a football player with the Buffalo Bills, I’m in the Hall of Fame. Just from that class in 1988, from where I was picked to where I ended up, I was one of two players (Michael Irvin) to be the first to go into the Hall of Fame and that’s special to me. You look at the players in that ’88 draft and a lot of them accomplished a lot of things and lot of them that were picked high didn’t. I look at that and always think to myself, if those teams had it to do all over again I’d probably be the first pick in the draft.”

Nice story about Thurman!
Giant fan here, but always liked Thomas' game.
So glad he shoved it in most teams faces after that draft. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom