Ennis on his way to being the 4th or 5th PG picked? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis on his way to being the 4th or 5th PG picked?

Donte Greene is making six figures a year to play basketball. which I imagine is better than most people with one year of college are doing

Why do people continue to compare bball players to the average college grads? Its apples and oranges.

Kawhi Leonard was the #15 pick in the draft. Donte was the #28. That's not a good comparison. If Donte had been the #15 pick in the draft, he would have DOUBLED his professional earnings--which is the same point I made in my last response to you above. Opportunity cost is a helluva thing.

I don't mean to be argumentative, I just happen to think you're off on this topic. Especially when you suggest that Donte and Jerami made the "right" decisions with respect to their professional careers. For the record, I understand Donte's family needs, and we've heard allusions about Jerami's family financial needs. But it is pretty clear that neither of these examples played out positively.

Both players' professional stories are still being written. I suppose that's something.

Have a good night.
Again- you appear to be very myopic on this issue, RF.
I used Kawhi Leonard as an example because he IMPROVED his play and became the Finals MVP over time- maybe I should've been more clear about that. Im sure when he first came into the league, no one was predicting that kinda success, no? Ennis is drafted 18th and he "made a bad decision", but Leonard is drafted 3 spots lower and is MVP...ie;, things can change- there is no one formula for success.
Moreover, "positive" success as defined by you "RF the SU fan", versus that defined by Donte himself, are totally different issues. He made millions, had a cup of coffee in the league, and fulfilled his dream. Again, go and ask HIM if he made the right decision. I'll give you double or nothing that his answer would be "YES, absolutely".
Lets just agree to disagree on this one...or we'll be at it all night. Good night to you too. ;)

Again- you appear to be very myopic on this issue, RF.
I used Kawhi Leonard as an example because he IMPROVED his play and became the Finals MVP over time. Im sure when he first came into the league, no one was prdicting that kinda success, no? Ennis is drafted 18th and he "made a bad decision", but Leonard is drafted 3 spots lower and is MVP...ie;, things can change- there is no one formula for success.
Moreover, "positive" success as defined by you "RF the SU fan", versus that defined by Donte himself, are totally different issues. He made millions, had a cup of coffee in the league, and fulfilled his dream. Again, go and ask HIM if he made the right decision. I'll give you double or nothing that his answer would be "YES, absolutely".
Lets just agree to disagree on this one...or we'll be at it all night. Good night to you too. ;)

Myopic? The numbers [i.e., the NBA rookie pay scale] don't lie! The ROI on improving your draft stock seems like a compelling reason to return, develop, and optimize--especially when you've got a lot of potential, like Donte [and Jerami] did. The real money comes with the second contract, so I'm not sure that Donte would say that he "fulfilled" his dream nor his potential. Fortunately, his story is still being written, and hopefully he'll find a way out of playing professional ball in China and earn a spot back in the NBA, where he can [hopefully] improve upon his net worth while playing a game.

But I'm with you--agree to disagree.

TheCusian said:
If Suns want to play fast - not sure about their pick. Heat should have pushed for Ennis over Napier.

Puzzling to me as well.

Why do people continue to compare bball players to the average college grads? Its apples and oranges.

Because people consistently say guys like Donte Greene made "bad decisions", when it might not be that bad after all.

Because people consistently say guys like Donte Greene made "bad decisions", when it might not be that bad after all.

But if your going to compare him to people, compare him to other players who left early. Donte is 26 years old and isn't on an nba roster, how do you know it wasn't a bad decision?

How many people on this board would say it was a mistake to take a job that paid you 4 million dollars over the next 3 years? The answer is no one. Anyone who thinks Tyler made a mistake is simply out of their mind.

How many people on this board would say it was a mistake to take a job that paid you 4 million dollars over the next 3 years? The answer is no one. Anyone who thinks Tyler made a mistake is simply out of their mind.
My favorite is when people start trying to talk like that's not a lot of money.

But if your going to compare him to people, compare him to other players who left early. Donte is 26 years old and isn't on an nba roster, how do you know it wasn't a bad decision?

Or we could compare him to all of the 4-year guys who didn't get drafted...it's an endless loop of an argument. I just won't fault men or women who have a goal of being a professional athlete for doing what they feel is best to pursue that dream.

The NBA Draft process is extremely flawed. A 2-yr rule isn't going to change it. I mean look at Toronto- they lost in G7 in the 1st round of the playoffs, they have rebuilt fan support, have some good young players, and they took a guy who is 3-4 years away from being able to play in the NBA instead of grabbing a guy who could help them go further next year.

Because he's still making 6 figures playing basketball.

BTW JB was wrong. If you are a first round pick you leave He's going to make millions of dollars. I think JB just wanted his team to be better next year
With all due respect, JB's "Boeheiming" options were limited once MCW left. Had he stuck around, today Ennis would be a still anonymous 5-minute-a-game back-up point guard.

He's gonna make 4 million over next 3 years. You can say he could've been lottery. You can also say he would've been picked apart and his stock would have been lower. I don't think it's cut and dry either way...but ultimately if he wanted to be paid to play basketball and not have go to college classes, he made the right decision.
he wasn't a lottery pick but he won the lottery

OttoinGrotto said:
My favorite is when people start trying to talk like that's not a lot of money.
It's all perspective right? First looking at gross numbers by themselves is absurd. Second, it's earning power over an incredibly short period. I was in a cab a few weeks ago and was asking the driver how long he's been doing it. He said 20 years. Said he could find anything else after he got got after his 3rd year in NFL.

Is 4 million a lot? Absolutely. But the more important number is how much he has at the end and over the course of his life. Your earning power increases as you go. Athletes curves quickly down

It's all perspective right? First looking at gross numbers by themselves is absurd. Second, it's earning power over an incredibly short period. I was in a cab a few weeks ago and was asking the driver how long he's been doing it. He said 20 years. Said he could find anything else after he got got after his 3rd year in NFL.

Is 4 million a lot? Absolutely. But the more important number is how much he has at the end and over the course of his life. Your earning power increases as you go. Athletes curves quickly down
that's why he should finish up school when he's done playing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom