Ennis On JB's comments | Syracusefan.com

Ennis On JB's comments

Total non-story. "He's a great player, but I think he would have benefited from another year getting more prepared physically."

Oh my god, what kind of monster would say such a thing!!!

Total non-story. "He's a great player, but I think he would have benefited from another year getting more prepared physically."

Oh my god, what kind of monster would say such a thing!!!

Once the decision has been made and the point of no return reached - you support your player, especially when it reflects on your ability to get guys PAID in the nba which is a big part of recruiting. You could say 'we would have loved to have him stick around another year but he's a great player and we wish him all the best' or whatever. the comments were relatively benign an probably factually true - but the timing of them is a little bit spiteful and makes coach look childish.

Once the decision has been made and the point of no return reached - you support your player, especially when it reflects on your ability to get guys PAID in the nba which is a big part of recruiting. You could say 'we would have loved to have him stick around another year but he's a great player and we wish him all the best' or whatever. the comments were relatively benign an probably factually true - but the timing of them is a little bit spiteful and makes coach look childish.
As posters before said, What's the problem? JB is not saying anything that scouts don't already know. Posters on this board have raised the same concern regarding Ennis' physical ability. :noidea:

As posters before said, What's the problem? JB is not saying anything that scouts don't already know. Posters on this board have raised the same concern regarding Ennis' physical ability. :noidea:
it's not content it's timing of the message. I mean we all love the guy but regardless of that he does lack tact at times. No doubt he loves his players and I think tends to put their interests above his own in most cases. But this comment at this time seems unnecessary. I can see the other side of the argument, I just think you are wrong.

lol, Because the people who make personnel decisions in the nba cannot see that he is skinny

Boeheim was asked a question and he answered it honestly. I thought it was a very diplomatic Jim Boeheim response.

I don't think it will have any impact on future recruiting. If anything, it will keep away the kids that we don't want in this program anyway.

Boeheim was asked a question and he answered it honestly. I thought it was a very diplomatic Jim Boeheim response.

I don't think it will have any impact on future recruiting. If anything, it will keep away the kids that we don't want in this program anyway.

If JB gets asked about a kid during the season and sidesteps the question, he gets killed here. Answer a question honestly and in a way that is really not damaging, he gets killed. Can't seem to win.

ennis can benefit from another year in college but still make a smart decision to enter the draft. one doesn't necessarily mean the other isn't true.

Really that is a reach to put JB in a negative light somehow. His comments are completely fine. JB didn't question the kid's character or decision making, or his work ethic or locker-room presence. He mentioned physical strength. This is a measurable attribute that will be fully quantified at the combine and workouts. If JB was casting doubt on some intangible that could hurt a player's stock because it isn't easily measurable then I could see some angst, but this? Nah. If Tyler's strength is an issue it will be well known before draft, regardless of what coach says or doesn't say.

its a recruiting game. dante didn't have the best time here, but is one of our staunch supporters. we could own eastern Canada.
ps anybody else like cnn;s brooke Baldwin. i'm in love. classact

Maybe nothing wrong but, just in poor taste... It's like be critical of the President-elect after the election, no matter your party affiliation, you show outward support of the winner regardless of personal feelings... Before the result/decision fine, but not after...

“I think he is a great college player, but I think physically he could have used another year,” Boeheim said onSportsCenter. “I think when you get to the NBA, you need to be as physically ready as you can be, so I think Tyler could have benefited from another year, but certainly he is a tremendous player and a very smart point guard.

“I think point guard is probably the hardest position to break into in the NBA … but he has the skill set to be able to do that … it’s just a question of landing in the right place.”

But during last week’s NBA Draft Combine at Quest Multisports in Chicago, Ennis downplayed his former head coach’s remarks and he told NBCSports.com that he viewed Boeheim’s take in a different way.

“That situation, I think the media and the outside people that really don’t know the situation kind of got a different angle than (the players) did,” Ennis told NBCSports.com. “Even through my decision to enter the draft, I sat down with coach a few times and talked to him. And even to this day we’re able to speak and be on the same page. We’re both loyal people, we have a good relationship and he just wants what is best for me.”​

The only thing that comes across as childish is the attempt to spin Boeheim's comments above as negative, critical, or spiteful.

Talk about something out of nothing. You'd have to really go out of their way to find things to get offended about to paint JB's remarks negatively, especially given what Ennis had to say in response.

“I think he is a great college player, but I think physically he could have used another year,” Boeheim said onSportsCenter. “I think when you get to the NBA, you need to be as physically ready as you can be, so I think Tyler could have benefited from another year, but certainly he is a tremendous player and a very smart point guard.

“I think point guard is probably the hardest position to break into in the NBA … but he has the skill set to be able to do that … it’s just a question of landing in the right place.”

But during last week’s NBA Draft Combine at Quest Multisports in Chicago, Ennis downplayed his former head coach’s remarks and he told NBCSports.com that he viewed Boeheim’s take in a different way.

“That situation, I think the media and the outside people that really don’t know the situation kind of got a different angle than (the players) did,” Ennis told NBCSports.com. “Even through my decision to enter the draft, I sat down with coach a few times and talked to him. And even to this day we’re able to speak and be on the same page. We’re both loyal people, we have a good relationship and he just wants what is best for me.”​

The only thing that comes across as childish is the attempt to spin Boeheim's comments above as negative, critical, or spiteful.

Talk about something out of nothing. You'd have to really go out of their way to find things to get offended about to paint JB's remarks negatively, especially given what Ennis had to say in response.
No, "childish" is trying to diminish another's comments on an Internet forum...
JB is not above reproach in my book; Ennis, Fair, and Grant have had issues with JB through this year's draft process...

No, "childish" is trying to diminish another's comments on an Internet forum...
JB is not above reproach in my book; Ennis, Fair, and Grant have had issues with JB through this year's draft process...

I didn't say that he was "above reproach." But I am saying that attempting to paint his comments with regard to Ennis as anything other than fair, objective, and frankly generally positive is akin to actively looking for something to get offended about.

Last edited:
I sat down with coach a few times and talked to him. And even to this day we’re able to speak and be on the same page. We’re both loyal people, we have a good relationship and he just wants what is best for me.”

Wait, just how many guys are coming back to kentucky next year???

Cuse'91 said:
No, "childish" is trying to diminish another's comments on an Internet forum... JB is not above reproach in my book; Ennis, Fair, and Grant have had issues with JB through this year's draft process...
What issues?

What issues?
Maybe someone on the inside can comment, but during the NBA Draft Combine, the announcers commented on friction between Fair and JB. Maybe not a big deal, but hearing about "bad mouthing your coach/player" on national tv is less than ideal...
Ennis and Grant, while I feel they should stay in college, once the decision is made, if you are their coach you back them up 100% foxhole style in the media...

I'm not one that considers JB above criticism - I wish he did play the bench for a a few minutes more and I think the way he has treated the local media at times has been horrible - but I really don't have any issue with what he said here. Nothing to see here as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe someone on the inside can comment, but during the NBA Draft Combine, the announcers commented on friction between Fair and JB. Maybe not a big deal, but hearing about "bad mouthing your coach/player" on national tv is less than ideal...
Ennis and Grant, while I feel they should stay in college, once the decision is made, if you are their coach you back them up 100% foxhole style in the media...
The so-called friction was probably the result of CJ's comments about JB's meltdown vs Duke. At the time I believe CJ stated that the tech had effectively erased any chance for them to win the game, and that it shouldn't have happened.
Obviously that was then extrapolated to be "friction" between CJ & JB.