Ennis On JB's comments | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis On JB's comments

You're right--agree to disagree. I just think that in today's uber-sensitive world where everybody in sports is expected to be pure as the wind driven snow PC all the time, some are inferring offense were none was implied by JB. JB being a d-head to reporters during press conferences has zero to do with these comments.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.

nothing is viewed in a vacuum. For famous coaches or for you or I. how we are viewed depends on the entire history of what we have said and done to whomever we are saying it to.

In politics they call it optics. In life it's called your reputation. reputation matters in recruiting and media coverage. For the record I think the media gives JB an unfair taint - but that's the lens through which he's viewed by many outside of the SU 'community'.

The comments were not wrong, but the optics on them are negative.

nothing is viewed in a vacuum. For famous coaches or for you or I. how we are viewed depends on the entire history of what we have said and done to whomever we are saying it to.

In politics they call it optics. In life it's called your reputation. reputation matters in recruiting and media coverage.

The comments were not wrong, but the optics on them are negative.

No, YOUR optics on them was negative.

Your subjective opinion doesn't make his comments negative.

No, YOUR optics on them was negative.

Your subjective opinion doesn't make his comments negative.
No the media coverage of the comments was negatve and the player was forced to react publicly to them because they were viewed as somehow a slight. Again if it were my kid I would have been annoyed. Not a huge deal but not the right thing to do either. Gray area exists. and the media will step into the gray area and turn it in to a story. that take then becomes reality. sad but true.

Also you are missing my point that the comments are viewed by the general public through the lens of his reputation as established by the media and his many years of words and actions. this stuff does matter to kids being recruited to pretend otherwise is to be willfully ignorant. A tiny seed of doubt that says to a kid 'will this guy really have my back???'...that's enough to tip a decision and rightfully so. Following this team as closely as most of us do, we KNOW how supportive he is of his players and former players...but not everyone can see that.

Last edited:
But during last week’s NBA Draft Combine at Quest Multisports in Chicago, Ennis downplayed his former head coach’s remarks and he toldNBCSports.com that he viewed Boeheim’s take in a different way.

“That situation, I think the media and the outside people that really don’t know the situation kind of got a different angle than (the players) did,” Ennis told NBCSports.com. “Even through my decision to enter the draft, I sat down with coach a few times and talked to him. And even to this day we’re able to speak and be on the same page. We’re both loyal people, we have a good relationship and he just wants what is best for me.”

Is this what TE should have to worry about right now? Having to explain away and down play his OWN coach's comments about him to the national media? Don't you think he has other things he could concentrate on right now?
When you're former player is in the fight of his life with millions of dollars on the line, brutal honestly may not be the most appropriate tact. You get his back and say I'm with you no matter what, else you're worthless...
Think Jack Lemon's comments in Glengarry Glen Ross...
I've tried very hard to stay out of this thread but it amuses me that you keep referring to there being millions of dollars on the line. It seems you assume that Tyler's position in the draft will be affected by JB's stating the obvious in his comments. I very much doubt that. There were NBA scouts at every game Tyler played and I am sure that every one of them was already aware of Tyler's need to work on his body. In my opinion, Tyler's position in the draft and the "millions of dollars" on the line will not be affected one iota by JB's comments on an obvious "defect", if you want to call it that, especially in light of the overall positive tone.
Might have been different if JB had questioned Tyler's attitude, work ethic. moral character or other "hidden defects".
Tyler hardly played in a vacuum during his days at SU.

Also you are missing my point that the comments are viewed by the general public through the lens of his reputation as established by the media and his many years of words and actions. this stuff does matter to kids being recruited to pretend otherwise is to be willfully ignorant. A tiny seed of doubt that says to a kid 'will this guy really have my back???'...that's enough to tip a decision and rightfully so. Following this team as closely as most of us do, we KNOW how supportive he is of his players and former players...but not everyone can see that.

yes, certainly the long history of such negative "optics" has just about ruined JB's ability to recruit top players these last several years. I just wish he could figure out how to turn things around.

yes, certainly the long history of such negative "optics" has just about ruined JB's ability to recruit top players these last several years. I just wish he could figure out how to turn things around.
People are so defensive about this stuff...it's silly and delusional. We love the coach. He's not perfect. To mildly criticize him exhibiting his imperfections is not being a bad fan. It's like being an over the top Obama guy who can't admit that he has botched some stuff - the realists who support him still love him whole-heartedly and are glad he's in there but wish he'd gotten a couple repub votes for health care among other things.

People are so defensive about this stuff...it's silly and delusional. We love the coach. He's not perfect. To mildly criticize him exhibiting his imperfections is not being a bad fan. It's like being an over the top Obama guy who can't admit that he has botched some stuff - the realists who support him still love him whole-heartedly and are glad he's in there but wish he'd gotten a couple repub votes for health care among other things.
Have you considered the possibility that some people actually believe Boeheim's comments about Ennis were harmless, and are not being driven by a hidden agenda to defend everything he says and does?

Have you considered the possibility that some people actually believe Boeheim's comments about Ennis were harmless, and are not being driven by a hidden agenda to defend everything he says and does?

Yeah I think people believe that...but I think the refusal to let anyone say anything different reflects the latter part of your question.

I don't think there was anything technically 'wrong' in his statement - he was just telling the truth. But there is a time and place for full disclosure.

"I think the refusal to let anyone say anything different reflects the latter part of your question."

No one has been denied the right to offer a differing opinion.
l don't think a person repeating their opinion over and over makes one's opinion more valid or worthy. Can't people agree to disagree without it being considered some conspiracy to throttle opinions? No one's opinion has been squashed only their relentless repeating of that opinion when others don't agree.

Yeah I think people believe that...but I think the refusal to let anyone say anything different reflects the latter part of your question.

I don't think there was anything technically 'wrong' in his statement - he was just telling the truth. But there is a time and place for full disclosure.
Who that knows anything about basketball doesn't know that Ennis needs to get stronger to compete in the NBA. It's almost like JB revealed Ennis is Canadian.

Who that knows anything about basketball doesn't know that Ennis needs to get stronger to compete in the NBA. It's almost like JB revealed Ennis is Canadian.

I agree. still should have gone with what he said today the first time around in my opinion. I can see the argument that it's a stupid thing for the media to turn into an issue, I also think it is something that could have been expected given a little forethought and thus avoided.

You know I would get tired of people picking on jb all the time but I can relate.

lebron-james-picks-his-nose.png

I agree. still should have gone with what he said today the first time around in my opinion. I can see the argument that it's a stupid thing for the media to turn into an issue, I also think it is something that could have been expected given a little forethought and thus avoided.

if only you could see the argument that it's a stupid thing for SU fans to debate ...

if only you could see the argument that it's a stupid thing for SU fans to debate ...

Dealing with the media, anticipating media reactions to your comments, and thinking about how those reactions might impact your players or the opinion of your future players - is all part of the job. Debating whether or not certain comments reflect doing that part of the job correctly is not stupid. It may be a waste of time...but so is most time spent on here.

Generally I love how he deals with the media, I think it's hilarious. But it does have consequences, and when you are talking about your players a greater level of care should be taken in my opinion. I get that the majority of people think it was nothing, that's fine too. I think it was close to nothing but worth discussing since there were several articles out there that made him look bad because of the comments - you can either agree or disagree with those articles depending on your point of view.