Ennis On JB's comments | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis On JB's comments

I know that you have a great source, but you are also pretty biased in that regard. So you'll forgive me for taking that with a grain of salt.

Agree to disagree on this being uproar-worthy.
??? No, honestly I have NO source... I am just speculating my opinion, I could absolutely be wrong, who really knows?

??? No, honestly I have NO source... I am just speculating my opinion, I could absolutely be wrong, who really knows?

Okay--apologies for that false attribution then. In this era of the new board, I sometimes get confused about posters who've changed their names from previous boards. My fault for thinking you were someone else.

You can tell it's the offseason when THIS is actually a point of discussion.

All I say is put yourself in Tyler's shoes, this guy is fighting for a job worth millions of dollars. How would you feel if your own coach wasn't 100% in your corner? Hundreds of thousands of dollars are at stake for him...

All I say is put yourself in Tyler's shoes, this guy is fighting for a job worth millions of dollars. How would you feel if your own coach wasn't 100% in your corner? Hundreds of thousands of dollars are at stake for him...

I promise that this will be my last post on the subject, but I am fairly certain that Tyler's draft position is going to be based upon a combination of things, including:

--his private workouts with teams
--owe performs in workouts against his peers in workouts between now and the draft
--his skill set
--the perception of his upside
--team needs
--etc.

I'm also fairly certain that JB's opinion--especially a bunch of innocuous, generally supportive statements--are going to be pretty low on the list as evaluative criteria. And on that point, I've seen nothing to suggest that JB isn't 100% in Ennis's corner. He didn't say "he needs to come back because he's not ready," he said "he'd be better off physically if he came back for another year." :noidea:

Last edited:
How are you inferring he's not 100% in his corner? He said he's a great player. He clearly wants to see him succeed. He and Tyler seem to have a strong relationship. JB saying he could have potentially benefited from another year to get physically stronger doesn't mean he's not 100% in his corner. It means he was asked a question, complimented his player, and mentioned one aspect that he thinks he could improve on. He never said he wouldn't be good or is making a mistake.

Let me say that again - he has never once said he's making a mistake. People seem to be under the impression this is what JB is saying. He's absolutely not.

I promise that this will be my last post on the subject, but I am fairly certain that Tyler's draft position is going to be based upon a combination of things, including:

--his private workouts with teams
--his skill set
--the perception of his upside
--team needs
--etc.

I'm also fairly certain that JB's opinion--especially a bunch of innocuous, generally supportive statements--are going to be pretty low on the list as evaluative criteria. And on that point, I've seen nothing to suggest that JB isn't 100% in Ennis's corner. He didn't say "he needs to come back because he's not ready," he said "he'd be better off physically if he came back for another year." :noidea:
My last post on the subject as well; if I were Tyler, it would irk me, if you were Tyler and it doesn't bother you in the least, then you have a bigger heart than me...
To me; when it comes to money, especially "real" money, there is no insignificant factor...

My last post on the subject as well; if I were Tyler, it would irk me, if you were Tyler and it doesn't bother you in the least, then you have a bigger heart than me...
To me; when it comes to money, especially "real" money, there is no insignificant factor...
And Tyler has been quoted saying he thinks it's overblown.

Why don't we take him at his word there?

jb should have said , I think tyler could have used another year to strengthen his body, but any team that passes on him will live to regret it. jb has no reputation to uphold for if he did, he wouldn't play tavern.

According to who? It sure didn't sound like Ennis was that upset about it. Its spin because the "sour grapes" asessment appears to be based upon the interpretive bias of a few posters here, as opposed to the player who the comments were about.

Again, according to who? JB's job is to win basketball games, recruit, and be loyal to his players. In regards to the latter, he is that to a fault--I'm not sure that this can be disputed. Again, from Ennis's comments it sounds like they had and continue to enjoy a great relationship. JB doesn't have to lie or say "close to nothing to be honest" -- he genuinely seems to think that Ennis is going to be a good pro, as evidenced by the effusive compliments of the kid's game.

The timing of those comments was a month ago. How does that make them ill advised? Old comments sans context being applied to an article written the last few days doesn't constitute bad timing. And I contend that it appears that some posters are taking the spirit of said comments out of context.

Wow.
the timing was after the decision and before the draft. No one (or at least not me) is trying to debate the merits of what he said, not at all. Just the optics. And it makes him look bad. You can disagree and that's fine...but plenty of people find it to be a bone-headed and totally optional thing to say even if true and mostly positive. Yes Tyler said it was fine with him...because he's doing what he's supposed to do and saying what he's supposed to say. If that were my son, I'd be pretty annoyed at the coach. You can feel free to feel differently, but I'd say it's a valid opinion especially given JB's reputation for being a d -head (undeservedly in my opinion but none-the-less that is his reputation to some).

Jb is in a no win situation, if he comes out and says that Ennis is the perfect player, and couldn't be more ready for the nba, then people will get on him for lying. If he comes out and says no comment, that is the same thing as saying he could use another year.

Jb is in a no win situation, if he comes out and says that Ennis is the perfect player, and couldn't be more ready for the nba, then people will get on him for lying. If he comes out and says no comment, that is the same thing as saying he could use another year.
I vote for something in between.

JB has probably talked to a rep from every NBA team interested in Ennis. He is not going to give them anything but his honest opinion of Tyler. So who is getting hurt (which I don't believe) by what he said in public?

Much ado about nothing and I tend to 'question' JB more than most. This whole thread should be deleted, frankly.
C'mon SoBe, I practically have half my total posts invested in this thread...:)

the timing was after the decision and before the draft. No one (or at least not me) is trying to debate the merits of what he said, not at all. Just the optics. And it makes him look bad. You can disagree and that's fine...but plenty of people find it to be a bone-headed and totally optional thing to say even if true and mostly positive. Yes Tyler said it was fine with him...because he's doing what he's supposed to do and saying what he's supposed to say. If that were my son, I'd be pretty annoyed at the coach. You can feel free to feel differently, but I'd say it's a valid opinion especially given JB's reputation for being a d -head (undeservedly in my opinion but none-the-less that is his reputation to some).

You're right--agree to disagree. I just think that in today's uber-sensitive world where everybody in sports is expected to be pure as the wind driven snow PC all the time, some are inferring offense were none was implied by JB. JB being a d-head to reporters during press conferences has zero to do with these comments.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.

Cuse'91 said:
C'mon RF, you don't think Tyler's people told him to take the high road in the media? What do you think he should say? Thanks JB for throwing me under the bus?

Throwing me under the bus?

Man, I must have a different way of reading things. When I read the complete answer by JB it seemed like to me that he was being very positive about Tyler.

Throwing me under the bus?

Man, I must have a different way of reading things. When I read the complete answer by JB it seemed like to me that he was being very positive about Tyler.

Sadly, it really doesn't matter what JB or his former player says.

In the view of some, JB is always lacking. He's to blame, and the illogic or prejudice or ... whatever of the critic is unassailable. It doesn't matter how idiotic the indictment is. There's always a supposed reason JB is in the wrong (even when there isn't a real one).

In the view of some, JB is always lacking. He's to blame, and the illogic or prejudice or ... whatever of the critic is unassailable. It doesn't matter how idiotic the indictment is. There's always a supposed reason JB is in the wrong (even when there isn't a real one).

In the view of some, JB is always righteous. He's never to blame, and the logic or rational or ... whatever of the critic is always assailable. It doesn't matter how plausible the indictment is. There's always a supposed reason JB is never in the wrong (even when there is a real one).

But during last week’s NBA Draft Combine at Quest Multisports in Chicago, Ennis downplayed his former head coach’s remarks and he toldNBCSports.com that he viewed Boeheim’s take in a different way.

“That situation, I think the media and the outside people that really don’t know the situation kind of got a different angle than (the players) did,” Ennis told NBCSports.com. “Even through my decision to enter the draft, I sat down with coach a few times and talked to him. And even to this day we’re able to speak and be on the same page. We’re both loyal people, we have a good relationship and he just wants what is best for me.”

Is this what TE should have to worry about right now? Having to explain away and down play his OWN coach's comments about him to the national media? Don't you think he has other things he could concentrate on right now?
When you're former player is in the fight of his life with millions of dollars on the line, brutal honestly may not be the most appropriate tact. You get his back and say I'm with you no matter what, else you're worthless...
Think Jack Lemon's comments in Glengarry Glen Ross...

In the view of some, JB is always righteous. He's never to blame, and the logic or rational or ... whatever of the critic is always assailable. It doesn't matter how plausible the indictment is. There's always a supposed reason JB is never in the wrong (even when there is a real one).

yeah, except there's not too many of those to find.

I'm certainly not one. IMO, there's sometimes legitimate criticism to be leveled. And reasonable minds can differ.

But that's my point. The criticism here (and too often in other threads) is not reasonable. It emanates from a place of general disapproval, not fair-mindedness.

Cuse'91 do you ever stop? You've given , given and continue to give your opinion - maybe a bit obsessive? Why not address your obvious concerns to NBASports.com? I think it's more than run its course on this board.

Actually I'm thinking Ground Hog Day...:rolleyes:

Is this what TE should have to worry about right now? Having to explain away and down play his OWN coach's comments about him to the national media? Don't you think he has other things he could concentrate on right now?
When you're former player is in the fight of his life with millions of dollars on the line, brutal honestly may not be the most appropriate tact. You get his back and say I'm with you no matter what, else you're worthless...
Think Jack Lemon's comments in Glengarry Glen Ross...

Lol, you are over the top. And not worth engaging.

Cuse'91 said:
But during last week’s NBA Draft Combine at Quest Multisports in Chicago, Ennis downplayed his former head coach’s remarks and he toldNBCSports.com that he viewed Boeheim’s take in a different way. “That situation, I think the media and the outside people that really don’t know the situation kind of got a different angle than (the players) did,” Ennis told NBCSports.com. “Even through my decision to enter the draft, I sat down with coach a few times and talked to him. And even to this day we’re able to speak and be on the same page. We’re both loyal people, we have a good relationship and he just wants what is best for me.” Is this what TE should have to worry about right now? Having to explain away and down play his OWN coach's comments about him to the national media? Don't you think he has other things he could concentrate on right now? When you're former player is in the fight of his life with millions of dollars on the line, brutal honestly may not be the most appropriate tact. You get his back and say I'm with you no matter what, else you're worthless... Think Jack Lemon's comments in Glengarry Glen Ross...

Funny how the media tries to make a mountain out of a molehill. What JB said in total was perfectly fine. Very supportive and positive.