Ennis On JB's comments | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis On JB's comments

I don't think he did anything wrong but it would have been classier to limit his comments to the positive. He should rave about any of his former players at every opportunity. If that means you don't actually answer the question that was asked, so be it. That's what classy people do. I realize that's not required and it's not JB's style.

BTW, I said the same thing when Marrone as the Bills coach passed on an opportunity to say nice things about Nassib. Wasn't required, but it would have been classy.

As others have stated, TE's physicality is not his strong suit and this is obvious to all. Having said that, his combine#s weren't that bad. And a soph season in college would not change those #s in the least...
So why not just say TE is one of the smartest/savvy/composed players in SU history, someone who will make a solid NBA point guard from Day 1 and just call it a day? Why even bring out his negatives at all? Or qualify a compliment with" landing in the right place?"

Last edited:
“I think he is a great college player, but I think physically he could have used another year,” Boeheim said onSportsCenter. “I think when you get to the NBA, you need to be as physically ready as you can be, so I think Tyler could have benefited from another year, but certainly he is a tremendous player and a very smart point guard.

“I think point guard is probably the hardest position to break into in the NBA … but he has the skill set to be able to do that … it’s just a question of landing in the right place.”

But during last week’s NBA Draft Combine at Quest Multisports in Chicago, Ennis downplayed his former head coach’s remarks and he told NBCSports.com that he viewed Boeheim’s take in a different way.

“That situation, I think the media and the outside people that really don’t know the situation kind of got a different angle than (the players) did,” Ennis told NBCSports.com. “Even through my decision to enter the draft, I sat down with coach a few times and talked to him. And even to this day we’re able to speak and be on the same page. We’re both loyal people, we have a good relationship and he just wants what is best for me.”​

The only thing that comes across as childish is the attempt to spin Boeheim's comments above as negative, critical, or spiteful.

Talk about something out of nothing. You'd have to really go out of their way to find things to get offended about to paint JB's remarks negatively, especially given what Ennis had to say in response.

Not sure where the spin is...he basically said he should have waited and it comes across as sour grapes to unbiased ears. He's not dumb enough to do it too overtly...but he's also not restrained enough to do anything except let his true feelings come across. When it comes to stuff like this when the decision has been made and before the draft - your job is to be 100% positive, if that means saying close to nothing to be honest, so be it.

No one is saying that his statements are not true or, if they had come at a different time would not have been valid. It's just the timing that makes them ill advised.

Pretending JB doesn't suck at communication is like pretending your wife looks as hot as she did at 25 on her 50th birthday - you are just kidding yourself. Still love him (and her) but come on.

The so-called friction was probably the result of CJ's comments about JB's meltdown vs Duke. At the time I believe CJ stated that the tech had effectively erased any chance for them to win the game, and that it shouldn't have happened.
Obviously that was then extrapolated to be "friction" between CJ & JB.
Context of discussion revolved around CJ working out with a private coach in Houston, a famous NBA alum... Thought "friction" centered on CJ's style of play/skills...

Last edited:
Do people have nothing better to do than con-volute JB's comments into some unintended insinuation? The writer of this article likely has such a limited scope of understanding with respect to College Basketball, The NBA and the Draft that he needs to fabricate a conflict which does not exist rather than do some research and insightful appraisal of a myriad of things which merit discussion in the College Basketball world these days. And people wonder why JB has such a loathsome disdain for many "journalists". The article is misleading, not based in fact, and only serves as an example of what a lame article looks like. I salute JB for just being who he is warts and all. His filter may not be up to snuff in some peoples perspective, but at least you know where the man stands. In this day and age that's a breath of fresh air in my opinion.

Is JB wrong and a bit brusque sometimes? Yes, but who isn't. People would do well to focus more on the half full side of the equation and the world would be a much better place.

Last edited:
No biggie. It's rare that a coach actually states that their player is ready to go into the NBA. Most of these guys are what, 19, 20, 21 years old. Maybe 10% of the drafted get starting roles at best, of course most of them aren't ready. Plus he says physically. There aren't many players that are the expected size/weight that we all think they should be to be able to play fairly well at the pro level, no matter the athleticism. There will be a few that are right out the draft, but not many.

They will always say, "Oh he's too short to guard his man 3 inches taller", or "He can't defend him in the post, he's not strong enough." Just gotta wait and see how he develops.

Haha, unintended irony is so fun.
If JB is fair game in your book, then you must realize that your comments are too.
This is a forum for discussion; agree or disagree with another's post, but don't ridicule THE right to discuss it. One should post how one feels, admit when one is wrong, and always respect the right of others to discuss relevant topics...

This is a forum for discussion; agree or disagree with another's post, but don't ridicule THE right to discuss it. One should post how one feels, admit when one is wrong, and always respect the right of others to discuss relevant topics...

No one ridiculed your right. RF pointed out the silliness of this particular strain of criticism of JB. If the shoe fits, ...

No one ridiculed your right. RF pointed out the silliness of this particular strain of criticism of JB. If the shoe fits, ...
Hilarious that certain posters "absolutely" know which topics are silly or irrelevant...

Hilarious that certain posters "absolutely" know which topics are silly or irrelevant...

Or what constitutes "poor taste" in a coach's comments. Or, what the appropriate relationship is between a coach and his former player, irrespective of what the player has to say about it.

Or what constitutes "poor taste" in a coach's comments. Or, what the appropriate relationship is between a coach and his former player, irrespective of what the player has to say about it.
Exactly, make an argument for your opinion, don't ridicule another's right to argue it...

"We’re both loyal people, we have a good relationship and he just wants what is best for me.”

How could Ennis say such nice things about JB,its a crime.

"We’re both loyal people, we have a good relationship and he just wants what is best for me.”

How could Ennis say such nice things about JB,its a crime.
Maybe Tyler is all class? Or he has a great management team working for him...

Maybe Tyler is all class? Or he has a great management team working for him...

He must be because he played for a system like syracuse's and for a coach like jim boeheim.

Oy freaking vey...

Here's what I "absolutely" know: there is a lot being inferred from JB's comments that wasn't implied.

JB is a grump. You know that better than anyone. He doesn't candy coat anything, and sometimes uses sardonic wit to mask his social awkwardness.

But nothing in those comments fits the bill. He spoke in generalities about how physically demanding the NBA is, was complimentary of Ennis, and said that he'd be better off physically staying a year. And then went out of his way again to talk about how his skills make him a great player who will be a terrific point guard.

The horror!!

Maybe it would be easier if people stopped talking in generalities and specifically point out what JB said that they deem to be so offensive. Because looking at the comments, I'm "absolutely" at a loss to see it.

Oy freaking vey...
Nothing personal Bubbula... I love you man...
I just feel that "it's just a question of landing in the right place" should read "Tyler will make which ever team that drafts him better from day one..."

Not sure where the spin is...he basically said he should have waited and it comes across as sour grapes to unbiased ears.

According to who? It sure didn't sound like Ennis was that upset about it. Its spin because the "sour grapes" asessment appears to be based upon the interpretive bias of a few posters here, as opposed to the player who the comments were about.

He's not dumb enough to do it too overtly...but he's also not restrained enough to do anything except let his true feelings come across. When it comes to stuff like this when the decision has been made and before the draft - your job is to be 100% positive, if that means saying close to nothing to be honest, so be it.

Again, according to who? JB's job is to win basketball games, recruit, and be loyal to his players. In regards to the latter, he is that to a fault--I'm not sure that this can be disputed. Again, from Ennis's comments it sounds like they had and continue to enjoy a great relationship. JB doesn't have to lie or say "close to nothing to be honest" -- he genuinely seems to think that Ennis is going to be a good pro, as evidenced by the effusive compliments of the kid's game.

No one is saying that his statements are not true or, if they had come at a different time would not have been valid. It's just the timing that makes them ill advised.

The timing of those comments was a month ago. How does that make them ill advised? Old comments sans context being applied to an article written the last few days doesn't constitute bad timing. And I contend that it appears that some posters are taking the spirit of said comments out of context.

Pretending JB doesn't suck at communication is like pretending your wife looks as hot as she did at 25 on her 50th birthday - you are just kidding yourself. Still love him (and her) but come on.

Wow.

Last edited:
Nothing personal Bubbula... I love you man...
I just feel that "it's just a question of landing in the right place" should read "Tyler will make which ever team that drafts him better from day one..."

Read my previous response to cuseinchina -- you took that comment completely out of context. What JB actually said was that PG was the most difficult position to break into the NBA and make an impact, but that Ennis had the skills to do it and if he lands in the right place he'll have the opportunity to do so.

It wasn't an indictment of the kid's skills or potential.

Edit: here's the actual quote--decide for yourself:

“I think point guard is probably the hardest position to break into in the NBA … but he has the skill set to be able to do that … it’s just a question of landing in the right place.”

According to who? It sure didn't sound like Ennis was that upset about it. Its spin because the sour grapes appears to being based upon the interpretive bias of a few posters here, as opposed to the player who the comments were about.

Again, according to who? JB's job is to win basketball games, recruit, and be loyal to his players. In regards to the latter, he is that to a fault--I'm not sure that this can be disputed. Again, from Ennis's comments it sounds like they had and continue to enjoy a great relationship. JB doesn't have to lie or say "close to nothing to be honest" -- he genuinely seems to think that Ennis is going to be a good pro, as evidenced by the effusive compliments of the kid's game.

The timing of those comments was a month ago. How does that make them ill advised? Old comments sans context being applied to an article written the last few days doesn't constitute bad timing. And I contend that it appears that some posters are taking the spirit of said comments out of context.

Wow.
C'mon RF, you don't think Tyler's people told him to take the high road in the media?
What do you think he should say? Thanks JB for throwing me under the bus?

C'mon RF, you don't think Tyler's people told to take the high road in the me
What do you think he should say? Thanks JB for throwing me under the wheels?

A simpler and more likely explanation is that JB's comments in the main weren't really that big of a deal nor that critical, which is why Tyler responded the way that he did and expressed that he has a good relationship with his former coach.

A simpler and more likely explanation is that JB's comments in the main weren't really that big of a deal nor that critical, which is why Tyler responded the way that he did and expressed that he has a good relationship with his former coach.
Hey, that's plausible too... Internet forum posters will most likely never know...

I love the suggestion that there's been any bitterness and sour grapes on the part of JB here. This is blown so far out of proportion it's absurd. He called the kid a great player and said he has a chance to succeed in the NBA, and that a lot of that will depend on where he lands. I think JB is pretty attuned to how important situations are for his kids after, especially, the Jonny Flynn fiasco.

He said he's a great player. He also said he probably could have benefited from coming back and improving a little physically because to excel from the jump in the NBA, you have to be at your physical peak.

What on earth is wrong with that? What's the big deal here? Where are the sour grapes? He's not saying he should have come back. He's saying that if he had come back, he could have benefited. Give me a freaking break.

Hey, that's plausible too... Internet forum posters will most likely never know...

I know that you have a great source, but you are also pretty biased in that regard. So you'll forgive me for taking that with a grain of salt.

Agree to disagree on this being uproar-worthy.

As posters before said, What's the problem? JB is not saying anything that scouts don't already know. Posters on this board have raised the same concern regarding Ennis' physical ability. :noidea:

Unless a coach gives 100% supportive comments, it's opened up to be construed as a criticism of the decision these days.