Eric Dungey’s last home game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Eric Dungey’s last home game

Eric helped turn around a losing program with an amazing attitude. Stepping into a losing locker room and maintaining that very visible desire to win, that's great leadership. This ranking, if the idea is what they meant to the program, seems about right to me.
Then if we use your criteria its

1. McPherson
2. Graves
3. McNabb (he just can’t go lower)
4. Hurley
5. Nassib
6. Dungey

How about the next 5?
I’ll give it whirl
(Leaving our Bill Hurley or thosebecause I didn’t watch his career)

6.Todd Philcox
7.Troy Nunes
8.Greg Paulus
9.Kevin Mason
10.Joe Fields... jk... probably RJ

Bill Hurley was a warrior like Dungey.
  • four-year starter at Syracuse
  • captain and team MVP junior and senior years
  • set 23 game, season, and career records
  • finished his Orange career ranked first in passing, first in total offensive yards, and third in rushing,
  • two-time honorable mention All-American and All-East quarterback
  • ECAC Offensive Player of the Year in 1979
  • MVP of the East/West Shrine Game and Hula Bowl
  • led the Orange to an Independence Bowl win in 1979.

Marvin is number 3. Love Eric.

But Marvin was just surgical running the option. Surgical! And he could throw downfield. Dungey JUST broke his passing yardage record in an entirely different passing based era.
Let's not forget that Dungey is now the all time leader in offensive yards above all of these guys and has 3 more games to play. He will decimate that record.

Yes, I know it is a different era and scheme but nobody forced us to run the option back when we did, there were other schemes being played by other teams with different coaching philosophies even back then.

Dungey’s stats might get dinged for the crazy beneficial scheme he is in but how much do we need to take back for his surrounding talent? Plus he has been playing 8 games per year.

I think there have been 0 NFL draft picks on offense since he took his first snap.

Surround Eric with Marvin’s talent or even McNabbs...

All. time. total. yards. leader.

Last edited:
Dungey’s stats might get dinged for the crazy beneficial scheme he is in but how much do we need to take back for his surrounding talent? Plus he has been playing 8 games per year.

I think there have been 0 NFL draft picks since he took his first snap.

Good point, he didn't/doesn't have anywhere near the talent level on offense or defense on this team that those guys played with.

My wife, who will be 39 weeks, looked at me last week and said it’s Senior Day and Dungey’s last game, we’re going right?

Game on.

Bittersweet day, as it was this Sr. Class that really started the turnaround. Very happy for them, our fans and everyone involved in the program.

#packthedome - they’ve earned it!
You have an extraordinarily young wife.

Then if we use your criteria its

1. McPherson
2. Graves
3. McNabb (he just can’t go lower)
4. Hurley
5. Nassib
6. Dungey

Dungey is better than Nassib in every category except arm strength, durability and ability to manage a game with an elite defense (which Dungey has never had). Nassib also played in a vastly inferior conference. Not even close, IMO.

Can we use “scheme” as an asterisk for Eric and then say the defining ability of Marvin was his ability to run the triple option well?

Dungey’s strength by some is his ability to run... I’m confused I guess how that wouldn’t translate to an option style offense that allows qb running

No way Dungey can be ahead of Graves, however he certainly is in the top 5. We have played some absolute brutal schedules, the kid has played with as much heart as any QB I have seen in the Dome ever, he will be known as the QB that brought Syracuse back from the Dark Ages of Syracuse Football, and I hope he gets one hell of an ovation Friday Night he certainly deserves it. Luckily I will see him play a few more times, hopefully Bowl game only one I wouldn't make it to would be Sun Bowl.

Let's not forget that Dungey is now the all time leader in offensive yards above all of these guys and has 3 more games to play. He will decimate that record.

Yes, I know it is a different era and scheme but nobody forced us to run the option back when we did, there were other schemes being played by other teams with different coaching philosophies even back then.

The option was very successful for us back then though.

Graves was a master at pitching the ball at just the right time. He got no credit for yardage on lots of plays that he made successful. Different game. Hard to compare on numbers alone.

Dungey, Strick and Slayton looking down at Us next year.
giphy.gif

I think there have been 0 NFL draft picks on offense since he took his first snap.

While this is a good point, this does bring up another factor though...how many games did McNabb mostly handoff because we were up by 50? Those blowouts of Rutgers, Temple, Pitt, limited his stats because we didn’t need to put the game on his shoulders.

The option was very successful for us back then though.

Graves was a master at pitching the ball at just the right time. He got no credit for yardage on lots of plays that he made successful. Different game. Hard to compare on numbers alone.

It’s impossible to compare really. I mean how many times has Eric made something out of nothing? The truth is that the best QBs in our history all were really talented players playing in innovative offensive systems that led to really good years.

Can we use “scheme” as an asterisk for Eric and then say the defining ability of Marvin was his ability to run the triple option well?
Get your point...but Marvin never ran the triple option. It was called the freeze option with completely different philosophies/tendencies.

From a pure eye test pov if I had to pick the most talented perspective:
McNabb
Graves
McPherson

Then a large drop off to Nassib and then another larger drop off to everyone else. I’m not even sure Dungey is at the top of the everyone list as Mason and Philcox were pretty good in their own right.

I think we all forget how truly elite the top
3 guys were at both running and passing. All three of those guys could have legit won the heisman ...Dungey’s best skill is running but I think the top three were better at it and would dominate him in passing.

I love Dungey as a warrior but I think he’s fortunate to play in the system he does. In order to make a true comparison you have to think how other dudes would do in this systems. And I am not knocking Dungey, but it’s been so long that we forget how really good our qbs used to be and we took it for granted .

I just want the Dome as full as possible when they are announcing the seniors names as they walk with their loved ones and shake coaches hand. If you are going, please be there for this as it is almost always too empty when they do this, these seniors have earned this...they righted the ship.

I'm not gonna weigh in on the ranking debate, I loved them all, they all had their own personalities and skill sets, but I hope Eric stays healthy so he can see this season all the way thru, 11-2 season and bowl win a very fitting way to end his career, and hopefully in 3 years we will be debating Tommy DeVito's ranking.
It has been a pleasure watching this kid compete and grow and develop.

Get your point...but Marvin never ran the triple option. It was called the freeze option with completely different philosophies/tendencies.

Right - brain freeze ;)

McNabb
Graves
McPherson

Then a large drop off to Nassib and then another larger drop off to everyone else. I’m not even sure Dungey is at the top of the everyone list as Mason and Philcox were pretty good in their own right.

3 guys were at both running and passing. All three of those guys could have legit won the heisman ...Dungey’s best skill is running but I think the top three were better at it and would dominate him in passing.

I love Dungey as a warrior but I think he’s fortunate to play in the system he does. In order to make a true comparison you have to think how other dudes would do in this systems. And I am not knocking Dungey, but it’s been so long that we forget how really good our qbs used to be and we took it for granted .

This is why it’s impossible to compare. All of the greats here played in systems that elevated their play. All of them had good coaches. What if Eric had Spotwood or Harrison to throw to in this system? You could make the case that they had more talent around them. Eric broke all these records and missed a bunch of games. He also played in a different system for a year.

McNabb
Graves
McPherson

If you want to say Nassib & Dungey are comparable, fine. But there is not a gap there. And certainly not a big one as you suggest.

If you want to say Nassib & Dungey are comparable, fine. But there is not a gap there. And certainly not a big one as you suggest.

Agreed. Eric can do more, with his legs and was a lot better early in his career than Nassib was.

But senior Nassib was really good. 3,749 passing yards and 8 yards per attempt.

How about the next 5?
I’ll give it whirl
(Leaving our Bill Hurley or thosebecause I didn’t watch his career)

6.Todd Philcox
7.Troy Nunes
8.Greg Paulus
9.Kevin Mason
10.Joe Fields... jk... probably RJ

This isn't directed towards you personally, but why is Dave Sarette, QB of the 1959 national championship team, not a household name amongst SU fans? I can't figure out why he never gets any love.

He had an extremely efficient season throwing 10 TDs that year and a QB rating of 164.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom