Eric Dungey’s last home game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Eric Dungey’s last home game

If you want to say Nassib & Dungey are comparable, fine. But there is not a gap there. And certainly not a big one as you suggest.
Which one got drafted in the nfl and which one won’t? Keep in mind Nassib’s big knock coming in was that he was only a running qb becaus in high school he barely threw the ball. Nassib had a gun for an arm and would have killed it with Babers system while having pretty good wheels as well.

Which one got drafted in the nfl and which one won’t? Keep in mind Nassib’s big knock coming in was that he was only a running qb becaus in high school he barely threw the ball. Nassib had a gun for an arm and would have killed it with Babers system while having pretty good wheels as well.

He didn’t have the wheels Dungey does - not even close.

Draft means zero. It’s about being a good college QB. If healthy, Dungey would have had an even better career.

Nassib had a great senior year but his first three years were average to below.

Draft means zero. It’s about being a good college QB. If healthy, Dungey would have had an even better career.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. If I were to pick a college qb I’d take senior year Nassib over senior year Dungey any day of the week and twice on Saturdays. Nassib was more accurate, had a stronger arm, could run more than he did and ran a more complicated offense. Not sure what other criteria you are using the determine who is a better college qb.

For the record you are right on the mobility point... only 5.0 40 time at the combine.

Let's not forget that Dungey is now the all time leader in offensive yards above all of these guys and has 3 more games to play. He will decimate that record.

Yes, I know it is a different era and scheme but nobody forced us to run the option back when we did, there were other schemes being played by other teams with different coaching philosophies even back then.

Dungey has missed 10 games at SU. His resume is impressive regardless of the era.

For the record you are right on the mobility point... only 5.0 40 time at the combine.

Thank you for pointing this out on your own. Nassib was not in the same stratosphere as Eric when it comes to mobility.

i'm still hoping dungey just finishes the season in one piece and doesn't cross the finish line in a cast.

Reactions: FAL

NFL careers are poor ways to evaluate college careers.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. If I were to pick a college qb I’d take senior year Nassib over senior year Dungey any day of the week and twice on Saturdays. Nassib was more accurate, had a stronger arm, could run more than he did and ran a more complicated offense. Not sure what other criteria you are using the determine who is a better college qb.

Now it’s who ran a more complicated system?

“He could run more than he did”? Eric has run for more and scored more rushing TD by a mile.

He was accurate - but people like to gloss over the lack of touch on short throws.

true but NFL draft picks are an excellent way to evaluate college programs.

Sure. But I think that’s far from where we want to be in this thread

Where does our running game come from then? Our rb's are serviceable, but Dungey is the only reason teams need to respect the run against us at this point.

Now it’s who ran a more complicated system?

“He could run more than he did”? Eric has run for more and scored more rushing TD by a mile.

He was accurate - but people like to gloss over the lack of touch on short throws.
Yup...he never improved with his touch on the short passes...drove me nuts. He would rifle that thing as hard as he could to a rb, or slot guy 5 yards away.

Yup...he never improved with his touch on the short passes...drove me nuts. He would rifle that thing as hard as he could to a rb, or slot guy 5 yards away.

62%, 3749 yards, 8 yards per attempt, 26 TDs. He was a heck of a QB his senior year.

Him and Dungey were on a similar level. Different types of QBs. Both very effective. I think Dungey has had the better overall career. Nassib may have had the best season though. We’ll see. This one isn’t over yet. And when you look at 600 rushing yards and 10 rushing TDs on top of 2000 passing yards and 13 TDs...Eric’s putting up a really good senior year too.

As awesome as Dungey is, if Dino came out tomorrow and said we going with DeVito from here on out (he won’t, keep all your panties from being bunched up,...he’ll say it before ND) would anyone put up that much a fight??

Other than his dad (not DeVito’s) defending him up and down the board here and those of you who value players psyche and loyalty more than WINS., nobody should be upset or surprised.

Last edited:
Where does our running game come from then? Our rb's are serviceable, but Dungey is the only reason teams need to respect the run against us at this point.
Wait... now we are evaluating our qbs based on how well they run? How about how much meat on the bone we have left because our qb is inaccurate and can’t put zip on a lot of balls? I think we all need to set aside the stats and look at the actual quality of qb play. Even against wake I had to wonder how much better the offense would be if those passes to the sidelines weren’t so slow to get there.

Wait... now we are evaluating our qbs based on how well they run? How about how much meat on the bone we have left because our qb is inaccurate and can’t put zip on a lot of balls? I think we all need to set aside the stats and look at the actual quality of qb play. Even against wake I had to wonder how much better the offense would be if those passes to the sidelines weren’t so slow to get there.
But yes make no mistake, Dungey is our best runner since McNabb.

We play stronger schedule, then in the Big East, and except for Donnie's last year weren't ranked this high at year end with more talent. Results show how good a QB is not stats.

We play stronger schedule, then in the Big East, and except for Donnie's last year weren't ranked this high at year end with more talent. Results show how good a QB is not stats.

ACC now is tougher than BE back then. But ‘98...we played Tennessee, Michigan, and NC State non league. Miami, VT, and WVU were good. That was a tough schedule in its own right.

‘97 - Wisconsin, at Oklahoma(they were down), NC State, and Tulane(they were decent).

I think the difficulty of the schedules was similar.

ACC now is tougher than BE back then. But ‘98...we played Tennessee, Michigan, and NC State non league. Miami, VT, and WVU were good. That was a tough schedule in its own right.

‘97 - Wisconsin, at Oklahoma(they were down), NC State, and Tulane(they were decent).

I think the difficulty of the schedules was similar.

Exactly. We more than balanced it out in the BE days with our non-conf schedule.

I don't think I meant to respond to you.
I was responding to the notion that we'd be better with Nassib in our offense. My question is then: If Nassib was the QB of this team, we have become very limited in the running game.

Was this a one year or career discussion?

As awesome as Dungey is, if Dino came out tomorrow and said we going with DeVito from here on out (he won’t, keep all your panties from being bunched up,...he’ll say it before ND) would anyone put up that much a fight??

Other than his dad (not DeVito’s) defending him up and down the board here and those of you who value players psyche and loyalty more than WINS., nobody should be upset or surprised.

It’s gotta kill you that he’s been a big reason for our last 2 wins...

The QB position is very weak this year after the top 5-6 guys.

I would hold off assuming that a good enough athlete who legitimately could make an NFL roster at another position isn't an interesting backup possibility to a team with an established QB he could go in a late round. Nassib cashed some paychecks but hes a guy who never got a shot to compete for a starting job at any point and Eli had fallen off already most of the time he was on the Giants. A similar scenario could arise for Dungey. Hes not going to be handed the reigns and likely has to outplay another potential backup in camp but I think he has a shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom