ESPN-ACC GOR: Time was Running Out | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN-ACC GOR: Time was Running Out

Dr. Wallace Loh won't be changing his mind. He's taking Maryland to his beloved Big Ten no matter what the rest of the Maryland faithful think.

Thats all fine. Goodbye, and, God Bless them. He doesn't want to be here, so, see ya' dude.

Besides, your real rivals...UNC and VPI...are still here. :cool:

Dr. Wallace Loh won't be changing his mind. He's taking Maryland to his beloved Big Ten no matter what the rest of the Maryland faithful think.
That's their choice, no matter how messed up they are. I was expressing my opinion and I realize as an ACC fan, I am in the minority. If UMD asked to stay and the ACC rejected them, I wouldn't lose sleep, though my preference is otherwise.

Loh appears more and more of a homer-loser as this thing goes on. He will not be vindicated by this lawsuit, in my opinion.

The ACC can't add 15th team till ND wants to commit fully, ND has given the ACC its verbal, but until signing day they aren't a part of the football division. The ACC can't go 10 years with 15 teams and create horrible football scheduling nightmares. If ND would commit tomorrow even the football schools Clemson, and Florida State would be okay with UConn as the 16th team. If the B1G takes UConn there will always be Cincinnati or West Virginia to be had as the 16th team.
Tha ACC has no pressure to add UConn because they aren't infinitely better than Cincinnati. That is why the ACC is done expanding until "signing day" and Notre Dame faxes over the LOI.

Why would ND join full time and what evidence exists regarding their "verbal commitment"?

Agreed. But you're no longer truly independent either. The Irish are betwixt and between. You basically have your own "conference" schedule at this point -USC, Stanford, Navy, MSU, and the 5 ACC games.

Cheers,
Neil

Hail, Neil!

What was this?

Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Navy
Stanford
USC
Pitt
BC

Throw in Army or Air Force once in a while.

That was essentially ND's "conference schedule" for many, many years.

ND played those 8 schools every year or nearly every year.

ND still is an independent for the NBC contract, the Orange Bowl, the playoffs and for 7 games per year.

I agree with the other ND fan. I don't see ND joining the ACC in full, for a long time, probably forever.

That said, I am damn happy with the ND/ACC partnership. I think it is a great deal for both sides.

Hail, Neil!

What was this?

Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Navy
Stanford
USC
Pitt
BC

Throw in Army or Air Force once in a while.

That was essentially ND's "conference schedule" for many, many years.

ND played those 8 schools every year or nearly every year.

ND still is an independent for the NBC contract, the Orange Bowl, the playoffs and for 7 games per year.

I agree with the other ND fan. I don't see ND joining the ACC in full, for a long time, probably forever.

That said, I am damn happy with the ND/ACC partnership. I think it is a great deal for both sides.

Hail Terry,

But the Irish AD scheduled all of them and the Irish basically decided when Pitt and BC (and others) would come off and on again.

That's no longer the case with the ACC scheduling 5 opponents, but as I also pointed out, the ACC deal is giving the Irish schedule the "variety" it lacked above, so it actually reinforces the "illusion" of independence, when it's technically semi-independent.

Cheers,
Neil

Why would ND join full time and what evidence exists regarding their "verbal commitment"?
I was using recruiting lingo. A recruit gives a verbal commitment, but they aren't part of the team till they fax their LOI. Notre Dame signed their new NBC contract to lineup for when the ACC Media rights deal with ESPN will expire. Notre Dame has already dumped Michigan from its schedule and Purdue has done the same to Notre Dame. That leaves only Navy, Stanford, Southern California, and Michigan State as automatics on Notre Dame's schedule with 5 ACC games and 1 Shamrock game that is 10 games. Notre Dame will only be able to schedule 2 additional games 1 of which will have to be at home to satisfy the NBC 7 game commitment. I think Notre Dame has given the ACC its proverbial verbal by playing 5 games a year against ACC competition and having quasi-football membership, signing the ACC GOR for non-ND football and hockey, and agreeing to the 52 million dollar exit fee. Notre Dame will keep its independence for the foreseeable future, but don't be surprised if the 5 game commitment becomes 6 and by the time the NBC contract has ended I believe the ND fanbase will be acclimated with ACC football that 8 game membership isn't out of the question. I think ND will have significant influence on the ACC will structure its football divisions/pods and will have input as to whom the 16th team will eventually be.
Edit: Don't forget also ND will be part of the ACC network and if that is successful I would expect ND will be paid handsomely. Also, the ACC is located in the Southeast where recruiting is better than playing in the Midwest rustbelt. I don't expect full membership in the near future, but its going to happen and Swarbrick's 5 game commitment is laying the foundation.

I doubt they will stay independent forever especially if after first round of playoff contract is done and they get rid of the notre dame exception but the earliest it will happen is after the recently signed notre dame nbc contract. It will probably be a gradual process from 5 games to 6 to joining in full under 8 game schedule or 13 game regular season.

Thats all fine. Goodbye, and, God Bless them. He doesn't want to be here, so, see ya' dude.

Besides, your real ...UNC and VPI...are still here. :cool:

I've followed UVA and the ACC for 35 years, and I can remember some very intense football and basketball games with UNC and VT and back and forth rivalries, but when I look back at games against Maryland it's not that intense a rivalry. What has happened over the years is that when UVA is good, Maryland stinks like the 90s in football and 80s in basketball, and when Maryland is good, UVA stinks like the whole Pete Gillen era and the Bobby Ross era at Maryland football. This didn't develop the intensity, and it didn't produce a competive rivalry like we have with UNC and VT. So I won't miss Maryland.

I didn't want them to leave, but it is their choice.

I doubt they will stay independent forever especially if after first round of playoff contract is done and they get rid of the notre dame exception but the earliest it will happen is after the recently signed notre dame nbc contract. It will probably be a gradual process from 5 games to 6 to joining in full under 8 game schedule or 13 game regular season.

That's their choice, no matter how messed up they are. I was expressing my opinion and I realize as an ACC fan, I am in the minority. If UMD asked to stay and the ACC rejected them, I wouldn't lose sleep, though my preference is otherwise.

Loh appears more and more of a homer-loser as this thing goes on. He will not be vindicated by this lawsuit, in my opinion.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Maryland is going to be happy in the Big Ten. But they are there, and will have to make due. For them to ask to stay, Wallace Loh would have to leave. I don't see it happening before they leave.

Hail Terry,

But the Irish AD scheduled all of them and the Irish basically decided when Pitt and BC (and others) would come off and on again.

That's no longer the case with the ACC scheduling 5 opponents, but as I also pointed out, the ACC deal is giving the Irish schedule the "variety" it lacked above, so it actually reinforces the "illusion" of independence, when it's technically semi-independent.

Cheers,
Neil

We go back a long way on the old Big East board. You know that I am an anti-conference guy for football.

I was against the ND/ACC deal when it was announced. A closer examination of the reasons why ND signed that deal and the WVU crazies made me more appreciative of the deal.

I now think that the ACC, with a GOR and a coming ACC Network, is a great partner for ND (as a partial member). I think it will work out well for both sides.

I don't really think that scheduling will be as much of an issue as some think. I think that Michigan State will play ND semi-regularly. I think that the current Texas and Oklahoma series shows that ND is interested in playing a game or two in the Southwest. BYU is at least a short term option, as is Air Force and Army. I think ND will be able to fill out a competitive schedule.

I just think that those who believe that ND will go "all in" will be disappointed. Time will tell. In the meantime, I am sitting here happy that Jim Delany and the Big Ten were unsuccessful in their "grand plan".

I was using recruiting lingo. A recruit gives a verbal commitment, but they aren't part of the team till they fax their LOI. Notre Dame signed their new NBC contract to lineup for when the ACC Media rights deal with ESPN will expire. Notre Dame has already dumped Michigan from its schedule and Purdue has done the same to Notre Dame. That leaves only Navy, Stanford, Southern California, and Michigan State as automatics on Notre Dame's schedule with 5 ACC games and 1 Shamrock game that is 10 games. Notre Dame will only be able to schedule 2 additional games 1 of which will have to be at home to satisfy the NBC 7 game commitment. I think Notre Dame has given the ACC its proverbial verbal by playing 5 games a year against ACC competition and having quasi-football membership, signing the ACC GOR for non-ND football and hockey, and agreeing to the 52 million dollar exit fee. Notre Dame will keep its independence for the foreseeable future, but don't be surprised if the 5 game commitment becomes 6 and by the time the NBC contract has ended I believe the ND fanbase will be acclimated with ACC football that 8 game membership isn't out of the question. I think ND will have significant influence on the ACC will structure its football divisions/pods and will have input as to whom the 16th team will eventually be.
Edit: Don't forget also ND will be part of the ACC network and if that is successful I would expect ND will be paid handsomely. Also, the ACC is located in the Southeast where recruiting is better than playing in the Midwest rustbelt. I don't expect full membership in the near future, but its going to happen and Swarbrick's 5 game commitment is laying the foundation.

When the Big Ten, Big XII, SEC, and PAC 12 go to 9 games, that's only going to leave 3 games for each of the schools in those conferences to play OOC. And they will only want to play them in September. This is excepting Southern California who likes to play Notre Dame in November. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize Notre Dame will have a hard time finding Big 5 conference teams to play them in October and November. Notre Dame is seeing it now. That's why they signed up for the 5 ACC games. This is with everyone at 8 conference games. I predict that they'll be wanting to go from 5 to 6 relatively soon when everyone goes to 9. At that point, they're almost in. The calendar will have a lot to do with moving Notre Dame along as anything.

I agree with you that Notre Dame will want to go through 2 cycles of the current setup with the ACC before doing anything. That gives them a chance to go through the entire ACC lineup twice (home and away). At this point they will probably reevaluate everything.

How ironic would it be for all of the things the WVU crazies wished upon the ACC actually happened to them? I don't hate WVU, but, their fans' behavior sure makes it hard to like them, even a little bit.

You probably don't have to deal with them in Carolina, but they spill over into Virginia. They are very passionate, and they have a serious, and I mean serious, inferiority complex. It's even worse than the Hokies, and that's hard to do. The passion though is impressive, and I think they would bring that to the ACC and be helpful. Right now they are behaving like a woman scorned, but I think the love affair with the Big XII won't last. I could see them in the ACC someday, but they need to work on their academic program.

We go back a long way on the old Big East board. You know that I am an anti-conference guy for football.

I was against the ND/ACC deal when it was announced. A closer examination of the reasons why ND signed that deal and the WVU crazies made me more appreciative of the deal.

I now think that the ACC, with a GOR and a coming ACC Network, is a great partner for ND (as a partial member). I think it will work out well for both sides.

I don't really think that scheduling will be as much of an issue as some think. I think that Michigan State will play ND semi-regularly. I think that the current Texas and Oklahoma series shows that ND is interested in playing a game or two in the Southwest. BYU is at least a short term option, as is Air Force and Army. I think ND will be able to fill out a competitive schedule.

I just think that those who believe that ND will go "all in" will be disappointed. Time will tell. In the meantime, I am sitting here happy that Jim Delany and the Big Ten were unsuccessful in their "grand plan".
Glad to see you on our board, but a great scenario for Notre Dame and Navy could be the ACC. Just an idea, Notre Dame has an obligation to play Navy every year. Being an army veteran I think that is a great thing, Navy can't compete in one of the 5 big conferences year in and out, but a few games each year would be ideal. In exchange for membership it would be great for Notre Dame, and the ACC for 2 or 3 games every year with Navy and league members.

Wow, you lucky Cuse fans have two Domers on your board now..;)

welcome to the board terry

You probably don't have to deal with them in Carolina, but they spill over into Virginia. They are very passionate, and they have a serious, and I mean serious, inferiority complex. It's even worse than the Hokies, and that's hard to do. The passion though is impressive, and I think they would bring that to the ACC and be helpful. Right now they are behaving like a woman scorned, but I think the love affair with the Big XII won't last. I could see them in the ACC someday, but they need to work on their academic program.

Actually, there are a lot of WVU grads and fans in Carolina. In fact, my best friend on earth is a WVU fan. But, her family are nothing like the message boards goofs that have run riot, spouting insults and outright lies about the ACC the past 12-13 months. Those are the ones with the serious inferiority complex you mention. Most of the ones here are good folks, and, passionate to the core, like you say.

But, the goofs might've ruined any chance they ever had at getting an invite now.

Just to add, I don't know of anything they can do to improve academics enough to please UNC, UVA, or Duke.

I've followed UVA and the ACC for 35 years, and I can remember some very intense football and basketball games with UNC and VT and back and forth rivalries, but when I look back at games against Maryland it's not that intense a rivalry. What has happened over the years is that when UVA is good, Maryland stinks like the 90s in football and 80s in basketball, and when Maryland is good, UVA stinks like the whole Pete Gillen era and the Bobby Ross era at Maryland football. This didn't develop the intensity, and it didn't produce a competive rivalry like we have with UNC and VT. So I won't miss Maryland.

For the longest time, UNC's football coaches failed to acknowledge UVA as a major rival, and, Dick Crum alienated every single football contact Bill Dooley had built in the Tidewater. Combine that with the good work Coach Welsh did at UVA, and, y'all dominated us for 25-30 years. Coach Fedora seems to get that beating UVA matters. Especially for recruiting in VA.

I didn't want them to leave, but it is their choice.

Agreed, since they were an founding member. It seems crazy that Baltimore won't be an ACC town anymore. I think they will come to regret that choice, but, I wish them well.

Don't disagree. ND won't join fully unless their avenue to the playoffs is in jeopardy. Others are arguing otherwise, but not me.

My point, which I think is being missed is that ND's schedule overall has lacked variety for years and that this deal with the ACC actually mixes it up better than it has been in quite a while (at least in terms of different opponents, if not necessarily football quality). Which is ironic considering that the deal that makes ND now only semi-independent actually gives the perception of being more independent vis-a-vis schedule the variety it has lacked.

Cheers,
Neil

Wow, you lucky Cuse fans have two Domers on your board now..;)

Yeah Terry actually road tripped with us to a Syracuse @ Tulane Game...have you? :p

Of on a slightly different but related subject...ESPN is shoreing up its bottom flank

They are going to renegotiate their MAC contract. ESPN realizes they need both the MAC and the AAC to fill those Tuesday/Wednesday and some Thursday and Friday slots. Hopefully the ACC gets the best Thursday and Friday night slots. I know Cuse and BC are slated for a few Friday night slots in the future. I was actually surprised we didn't get one this year.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ac-espn-expected-to-re-open-media-rights-deal

David Teel@DavidTeelatDP 2m
More Swofford on #ACC channel: "We’ve been looking at it for about a year, and now we’ll look at it more seriously."

If the powers that be want to force ND into a conference, they can via the playoff. The ACC would be that conference. I'm not saying it will happen - but ND isn't as seated as pretty as they once were.

They need the ACC (or a conference) as much as the ACC wants them - for now, the leverage matches and its a good fit.

Basically - If it looks like their path to a NC is harder than others, they will join.

Don't disagree. ND won't join fully unless their avenue to the playoffs is in jeopardy. Others are arguing otherwise, but not me.

My point, which I think is being missed is that ND's schedule overall has lacked variety for years and that this deal with the ACC actually mixes it up better than it has been in quite a while (at least in terms of different opponents, if not necessarily football quality). Which is ironic considering that the deal that makes ND now only semi-independent actually gives the perception of being more independent vis-a-vis schedule the variety it has lacked.

Cheers,
Neil

No, I understand and agree. That was what I was trying to say, in part, in my post about ND's traditional opponents. Thanks, ACC!

Yeah Terry actually road tripped with us to a Syracuse @ Tulane Game...have you? :p

Of on a slightly different but related subject...ESPN is shoreing up its bottom flank

They are going to renegotiate their MAC contract. ESPN realizes they need both the MAC and the AAC to fill those Tuesday/Wednesday and some Thursday and Friday slots. Hopefully the ACC gets the best Thursday and Friday night slots. I know Cuse and BC are slated for a few Friday night slots in the future. I was actually surprised we didn't get one this year.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ac-espn-expected-to-re-open-media-rights-deal

Mark set up a great pre-game party in New Orleans. He actually had the "pleasure" of meeting me in person. I had a good time. Syracuse fans made up at least 40%, if not more, of the "crowd" at the Syracuse/Tulane game in the Superdome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom