ESPN ACC position rankings: Defensive line | Syracusefan.com

ESPN ACC position rankings: Defensive line

I hope our boys have this article printed and pinned up in the weight room.

In all seriousness - our interior Dline is going to be pretty good again this year. We need guys to really grow into the role of DE... Coleman/Black - some of the freshman.

Silly hag yammers about Demarcus Christmas, yet Steven, who put up similar numbers to Demarcus against teams they both played against, gets nothing out of her. She can bite me.

Agreed. He will get noticed this fall when the team wins more and people realize this defense is better than appears. If the DEs hold their own, the interior will really light things up.

I love what our interior dl did last year. With some maturity from the DEs and some pressure off the edge AS WELL AS the ability to hold the edge/run recognition; our 2017 DL can be a force. Again, its getting the back 7 in line and playing as a unit. Bc last season, they got gashed, there is no gentler way to put it. From lb to safety, play the best athletes who get the defensive scheme.

With Adelson's ignorant bias we could start Paul Bunyon, King Kong, The Incredible Hulk, and the Jolly Green Giant and still not get a mention!
Its hard to get a mention when you are coming off the worst D in the history of Syracuse football.

With Adelson's ignorant bias we could start Paul Bunyon, King Kong, The Incredible Hulk, and the Jolly Green Giant and still not get a mention!
Bias?

We finished 4-8 last year, why should we expect to crack the top 5 in any of the categories they're rating? Especially the defensive ones?

Sure, the DL and the rest of our D has the potential and is pretty young. But we don't have the depth/talent that other ACC schools have yet.

Bias, not biased, all I know is that Steven put up very similar stats against Louisville, Wake, Clemson, and BC.

steven stats.PNG
demarcus stats.PNG

You're absolutely right Cubs. He'd be in the running for best D-lineman for sure, IMO. That being said, he needs help which is why the unit is currently getting no love.

Bias, not biased, all I know is that Steven put up very similar stats against Louisville, Wake, Clemson, and BC.

View attachment 89724 View attachment 89725

You don't expect ESPN to actually do their job and perform analysis, do you? It is far easier to spout off at the mouth, repeat what someone else says and call it conventional wisdom. Facts and stats are not important. Impression is everything.

Enough, I can't keep a straight face anymore. Rest assured, Steven will be noticed this season. The defense will be much better. Real analysts (like NFL scouts) will know these stats and the info will leak out. Steven will be talked about as under the radar but by season's end, people in know will have a clear picture of Steven playing for them or against them on Sundays and common fans like us will know who he is.

Do I have to explain myself? Some people get it and a lot do not. I never said we should be considered top 5. What I said for you slow people with weak reading/logic skills is the fact that if we had an insurmountable defensive line represented by 4 mythological figures we shouldn't expect the recognition by ESPN that they would warrant. ESPN has their pet programs in each P5 conference...and the hype just feeds their recruiting and the NCAA protects the big pets against any improprieties that the money schools may have.

View attachment 89724 View attachment 89725
I don't want to start an argument here, and respect what you bring to the board, but regardless of statistics, they aren't rating single players. She was mentioning one of the players that makes it a good unit.

I'd also like to see the number of snaps played in comparison here as well, because Christmas probably played far less snaps than Steven.

Do I have to explain myself? Some people get it and a lot do not. I never said we should be considered top 5. What I said for you slow people with weak reading/logic skills is the fact that if we had an insurmountable defensive line represented by 4 mythological figures we shouldn't expect the recognition by ESPN that they would warrant. ESPN has their pet programs in each P5 conference...and the hype just feeds their recruiting and the NCAA protects the big pets against any improprieties that the money schools may have.
Our QBs were mentioned as a top unit despite the starter missing a handful of games so your argument holds no water here. We were also a 4-8 team with the worst defense in the ACC. That probably had something to do with it.

Our QBs were mentioned as a top unit despite the starter missing a handful of games so your argument holds no water here. We were also a 4-8 team with the worst defense in the ACC. That probably had something to do with it.

BAW GAWD WOULD SOMEBODY PLEASE STOP THE DAYUM MATCH!

I don't want to start an argument here, and respect what you bring to the board, but regardless of statistics, they aren't rating single players. She was mentioning one of the players that makes it a good unit.

I'd also like to see the number of snaps played in comparison here as well, because Christmas probably played far less snaps than Steven.

Valid points.

I counter with Steven was not surrounded by top tier talent on the line, at linebacker and DBs. Steven clearly has a larger hill to climb and when the whole DL is presumed NFL caliber talent, each individual should have great stats. In a lesser line, teams will run away from standouts providing less opportunities to display their full talents.

In comparing a unit, yes, Syracuse should be marked down in comparison. Praising an individual from a top level DL does allow for comparison to that individual, the picture must be taken en toto.

I state the above to reiterate that the real analysts, the ones that work for the NFL teams, will know how good a player really is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom