ESPN article on which ACC programs have the most to offer recruits | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN article on which ACC programs have the most to offer recruits

I think this will change a lot in the NIL era. Kids are gonna want to go to colleges that offer them the best opportunities to brand themselves and make money. That will be schools with big rabid fan bases and elite national brands. Syracuse certainly fits that bill, more so than a school like Baylor or even a program like Virginia.

yep, definitely could be the case.

Do they? I think we overestimate that here.

Baylor’s not known for their massive or vocal fan base...I can’t even name their home court...yet they’ve been dominating college basketball the last 2 years.

I think style of play, the coaching staff, preparing for the nba, etc are the most important aspects to recruits in 2021 vs anything.

We have plenty of positive in those fields too
Let’s see where they are in 30 years.

I think a lot of things matter. When we’re ready to hire someone, we’ll have a lot to offer a HC in terms of recruiting. Not Duke or UNC - but there are a lot of natural advantages combined with a history and infrastructure that will yield results.

I think every fan should be bullish on the long term, while seeing some rocky roads fit a bit

Let’s see where they are in 30 years.

I think a lot of things matter. When we’re ready to hire someone, we’ll have a lot to offer a HC in terms of recruiting. Not Duke or UNC - but there are a lot of natural advantages combined with a history and infrastructure that will yield results.

I think every fan should be bullish on the long term, while seeing some rocky roads fit a bit
30 years? The majority of this board will be dead.

It snows a lot Dec-Feb because of the lake effect. But in most of the Big 10 Midwestern states, it’s just as cold if not colder. Minnesota is brutal. Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, State College PA are all freezing in the winter and most of them are more in the middle of nowhere than Syracuse. I agree, the weather argument is so stupid.
Madison is considerably colder than Syracuse.

49DB0F0E-8B1A-42E7-85FA-1AE8CE41A2F6.png

Minneapolis is far far colder than Syracuse. Good lord.

64DF407D-6FAC-46D1-BA9A-2B072305061D.png

You know where else it's also cold and snows in the winter? Gonzaga, Marquette, UCONN, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan St...I hate that argument, it holds no weight.
Weather is more of an issue for Syracuse when recruiting against fellow ACC schools that have the advantage of Southern climates. It’s not an issue for Big 10 schools because they’re all on equal footing when they’re recruiting against each other because they all have the same relative climate.

They posted another ACC article today about which coach is underrated, who would you want your son to go play for blah blah blah. No mention of us in the entire damn thing.

For a long time I have been voicing my opinion that SU is not the destination program for either players or coaches. And usually I get dumped on for it. If as pointed out in the op, SU may be just a tier 3 program in some opinions, why am I wrong? If SU can't seriously compete against the top 4 recruiting schools in the league, how can SU attract the top level coaching people think will replace JB?

Not to go OT, but I have a wedding in July in Tipp Hill. If I fly into Dayton, all the direct flights are booked, so I have to get a connecting. Other option would be Columbus and then drive, right?
Both Columbus & Cincinnati are easy drives to Dayton & roughly equidistant. Due to the placement of both airports it’s over an hour, but straightforward mostly on major highways 70 W or 75 N.

They posted another ACC article today about which coach is underrated, who would you want your son to go play for blah blah blah. No mention of us in the entire damn thing.

The intrepid reporters who loved picking Hamilton should probably have mentioned that he is 72. If you assume your HS AA hot shot kid is a junior in HS, Leonard will be 74 before classes start his freshman year of college.

Like with JB (76), Coach K (74) and Jim Larrañaga (71), it is unlikely any of these coaches will still be around to coach a junior in HS through his senior year.

Or maybe we are really going into uber fantasy mode, where Gnome Lunardi has a 6'9 son with a 90' wingspan, a 48' vertical and is going pro after his frosh season, so it doesn't matter.

For a long time I have been voicing my opinion that SU is not the destination program for either players or coaches. And usually I get dumped on for it. If as pointed out in the op, SU may be just a tier 3 program in some opinions, why am I wrong? If SU can't seriously compete against the top 4 recruiting schools in the league, how can SU attract the top level coaching people think will replace JB?
Think the hope is that we hold onto the tier 2 status that keeps us among the top dozen or so programs and those types of jobs only come open so often. Things get a little muddier down in tier 3 which probably adds another dozen schools. Think my breakdown looks something like this...

Tier 1
Duke
UNC
Kentucky
Kansas

Tier 2
UCLA
Arizona
Louisville
Virginia
Indiana
Villanova
Gonzaga
Syracuse
Ohio State
Michigan State
Michigan
UCONN

Last edited:
Not to go OT, but I have a wedding in July in Tipp Hill. If I fly into Dayton, all the direct flights are booked, so I have to get a connecting. Other option would be Columbus and then drive, right?
If it's any help, Columbus is served by Southwest Airlines.

Columbus is way better than Syracuse. I moved to Buffalo last year and it is night and day how different is. Syracuse has a few nice suburbs but there really isn’t much going on at all.

I understand to live - but I went to college in Oneonta. There were fun bars that you went to with your friends. I couldn't have asked for more. Are most high school seniors really worried about whether there's a good school system in Manlius or if there's a farmer's market or a thriving food scene?

Think the hope is that we hold onto the tier 2 status that keeps us among the top dozen or so programs and those types of jobs only come open so often. Things get a little muddier down in tier 3 which probably adds another dozen schools. Think my breakdown looks something like this...

Tier 1
Duke
UNC
Kentucky
Kansas

Tier 2
UCLA
Arizona
Louisville
Virginia
Indiana
Villanova
Gonzaga
Syracuse
Ohio State
Michigan State
Michigan
UCONN
All these so-called rankings have a recency bias even if the article suggests otherwise. It's just how our primitive brains work. Would anyone have debated that we were tier 2 following our program's run from 09-14? Heck if anything I'd bet many would suggest we should be in the tier 1 discussion.

1) I can't believe that article is paywalled. I mean, I have the sub for it, but that was pretty light.
2) I don't think anything is wrong. We're not Duke or UNC. I think you can even argue Duke is in a league of its own at this point in terms of incoming talent consistency.
3) Everyone knows the big question is what's up when JB leaves, but the short term issue isn't that it's cold in Syracuse (oh wow, big surprise, cold in Syracuse), it's building off the Benny, Kamari momentum and having our assistants continue to land big time recruits.

Other thing would be to do better in the regular season, be ranked, get more air time, more pub and just get back that we are a force to reckon with.

The BEST scenario is that we get back to being top 25 all year and we get our cool factor back.

I have my issues with JB, but that article basically may have just said "they aren't Duke, JB is old, who knows what will happen".

The thing that these articles usually fail to consider is the attendance at the Dome, how much revenue that generates, and the fanaticism of our fan base. We almost always have a vocal presence in other teams' arenas, no matter where we play.

Both Columbus & Cincinnati are easy drives to Dayton & roughly equidistant. Due to the placement of both airports it’s over an hour, but straightforward mostly on major highways 70 W or 75 N.
Thank you!

Columbus is way better than Syracuse. I moved to Buffalo last year and it is night and day how different is. Syracuse has a few nice suburbs but there really isn’t much going on at all.
Apples to Oranges. Columbus (MSA pop. 2 mill) and Buffalo (1.1 mill) are much bigger than Syracuse (600k). Nothing wrong with living in the Syracuse area. It is doing just fine for its size.

Winning in college basketball is mostly coach dependent. Weather and current stature mean little. You pretty much can win anywhere as long as you have a good coach. It's been proven over and over again.

I don't fully agree with this. People want to go to UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina because of the banners in the rafters, because of the boosters, because of the culture, because of the amenities - not just because of the coach.

I don't fully agree with this. People want to go to UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina because of the banners in the rafters, because of the boosters, because of the culture, because of the amenities - not just because of the coach.

Really?

Because who's trying to go to Indiana now. 95% of their success came under one coach.

What did Duke do before Coach K? NC State at one point was the 2nd best program in the ACC after UNC.

Kid's weren't climbing up hills to go play for Billy Gillespie.

The only school on that list that have had real sustained success under multiple coaches is UNC and Kansas. We will see how UNC does under Hubert.

I will say one thing that does not matter is the weather. If the weather decided who was good at sports Arizona State and Miami would be dominating.

I understand to live - but I went to college in Oneonta. There were fun bars that you went to with your friends. I couldn't have asked for more. Are most high school seniors really worried about whether there's a good school system in Manlius or if there's a farmer's market or a thriving food scene?
I attended SUNY Geneseo and I couldn’t agree more, the most fun 4 years of my life! The Genesee Valley isn’t exactly in the sun belt and yet, I never heard anyone complain about the weather......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom