ESPN counting down top 50 programs of the past 50 years | Syracusefan.com

ESPN counting down top 50 programs of the past 50 years

Jake

Mod
Goes back to 1962. Right in our wheelhouse. Haven't had a loosing season since I think '66. Its based on a point system that appears to reward long term success over individual and spotty greatness.

They also have an all time starting five from the past 50 years.

I bet we finish in the 7-9 range. Might be higher. Will probably be ranked at the top of the Big East. With Louisville 2nd and likely UCONN third given how the point system appears to work. (weber state is ranked ahead of Florida - FYI.)

Our all time team will be interesting Its done as a true starting five...I'll go with:

Bing
Pearl
Carmelo
Coleman
Seikaly.

Here is my list

Sherm
Bing
Carmelo
Coleman
Seikaly.

I only have one issue with the scoring system; Each conference title and conference tournament title receives equal points. Weber State has 20 Big Sky conference titles. That is an exceptional number but not as impressive as say...10 Big East titles.

We will end up 5-7 range

Pearl
Bing
Melo
Coleman
Seikaly

SU will be 7th . . . they were 9th the last time they did this, and have had an exceptional 4 seasons that will allow them to pass UNLV and UCLA, but not UConn.
edit: the last time they did this, it was only the modern era (1984 onward) . . . expanding it back 50 years changes it a lot; SU will certainly not get past UCLA, but the sustained quality pre-1984 should allow them to pass pre-Calhoun UConn. Guess I'll just have to wait and see where they fall out. I would be shocked if it is top 5

I only have one issue with the scoring system; Each conference title and conference tournament title receives equal points. Weber State has 20 Big Sky conference titles. That is an exceptional number but not as impressive as say...10 Big East titles.

Wouldn't that also stack the board against members of newer conferences? Big East teams have had almost twenty fewer opportunities to earn conference titles than ACC or Big Ten teams.

SU will be 7th . . . they were 9th the last time they did this, and have had an exceptional 4 seasons that will allow them to pass UNLV and UCLA, but not UConn.
edit: the last time they did this, it was only the modern era (1984 onward) . . . expanding it back 50 years changes it a lot; SU will certainly not get past UCLA, but the sustained quality pre-1984 should allow them to pass pre-Calhoun UConn. Guess I'll just have to wait and see where they fall out. I would be shocked if it is top 5
Its going to be UCLA, Duke, UNC, Kansas top 4

Top five will be:
UNC, DUKE, UCLA, Kentucky & Kansas.

The next four will be SYR Indiana Lville uconn in some order. 6-9

Would not surprise me if we were 6.

Wouldn't that also stack the board against members of newer conferences? Big East teams have had almost twenty fewer opportunities to earn conference titles than ACC or Big Ten teams.

There are some provisions in the scoring system for independents.

There are some provisions in the scoring system for independents.

Gotcha, thanks. Didn't actually read the thing.

Despite a paucity of post-season tournament wins (save for the 1975 group), we had some very special teams in the mid-'60s (Bing teams) and '70s (decent Danforth teams, Boeheim's wildly impressive 100-18 start with Rosie and Louie et al.).

Top five will be:

Arizona will be in that group as well

Top five will be:

I think we beat Kentucky 4 of their 8 NC are pre 1962 and they had some leaner periods that will hurt them.

Arizona will be in that group as well

I don't know about that. Lute Olsen wasn't there as long as some of the other coaches of this era. It might have been 20 years, but it's not 30 or more, like some coaches.

this is where Syracuse will really rack up the points :(

Yes but we rack up here too!

Win percentage 80 percent and above = 4 points, 60-79 percent = 2 points, 35.1-49.9 percent = minus-2 points, less than 35 percent = minus-4 points.

Win percentage 80 percent and above = 4 points, 60-79 percent = 2 points, 35.1-49.9 percent = minus-2 points, less than 35 percent = minus-4 points.
Is the winning percentage for each year?

I think we beat Kentucky 4 of their 8 NC are pre 1962 and they had some leaner periods that will hurt them.

Not sure how the scoring works, but UK still has 4 titles since then, and as assload of SEC titles.

So we lose only ten on that: two each for 1963, 1968, and 1969, and four for a remarkable 2-22 in 1962.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom