ESPN greatest players bracket | Syracusefan.com

ESPN greatest players bracket

They just do a gender bracket for each.
Then each region by decades.

This seeding is insane.

Talent should be evaluated by its peers. Not 60s players vs. 00s players in the first round.

They just do a gender bracket for each.
Then each region by decades.

This seeding is insane.

Talent should be evaluated by its peers. Not 60s players vs. 00s players in the first round.
Yeah - I don't get the mix of men and women. You can easily get 64 for the men's bracket, and maybe do a 16-32 person bracket for the women one.

How a guy like Derrick Coleman doesn’t make it is insane.
He should be a low seed but he should be in this field.

Title IX.

Some of those women were TREMENDOUS college players, but accomplishments are relative. And a bracket isn't about "relative impact" -- it is about straight up who would win.

The men on this board would crush their counterparts. Doesn't mean that the women can't play.

Title IX.

Some of those women were TREMENDOUS college players, but accomplishments are relative. And a bracket isn't about "relative impact" -- it is about straight up who would win.

The men on this board would crush their counterparts. Doesn't mean that the women can't play.
It’s just stupid.
Greatness is greatness but these seeding are just bad.

I get you can’t change the future without doing it in the present.
But if you going to do this do it right.

Title IX.

I don't know. I think you could set it up either way. I would guess they intended to go by relative accomplishments.

Everyone objectively knows Breanna Stewart would lose to more than 3 men on the list, but 4 NCs with 4 MOP awards and being part of the longest winning streak in college basketball history are huge accomplishments.

I don't know. I think you could set it up either way. I would guess they intended to go by relative accomplishments.

Everyone objectively knows Breanna Stewart would lose to more than 3 men on the list, but 4 NCs with 4 MOP awards and being part of the longest winning streak in college basketball history are huge accomplishments.

Nobody disputes that those are tremendous accomplishments. She'd still lose a game of one-on-one to 21 by double digits [if not more] to most of the men on that list.

Nobody disputes that those are tremendous accomplishments. She'd still lose a game of one-on-one to 21 by double digits [if not more] to most of the men on that list.
But that’s not what’s being judged. 1 on 1 ability matters nothing imo. What did they achieve relative to their sport. And that’s what it should be based off of

I don’t get why ESPN tries to pretend the men’s and women’s game are the same sport. They’re completely different and they each value different skill sets. Horseshoeing women into a greatest men’s player bracket just ensures that no woman will get the recognition of being the best to ever play her sport.

It’s just stupid.

The seedings are a joke.

But that’s not what’s being judged. 1 on 1 ability matters nothing imo. What did they achieve relative to their sport. And that’s what it should be based off of

Women’s rules and men’s rules are different.
I didn’t know this till I went to an SU women’s game but their ball is smaller.

When i shot the women’s ball it was easier for me to grip and I shot FTs better with it.

These lists are just stupid.
Brianna Stewart is the most accomplished college basketball women’s player ever.

Do the brackets in each region by gender and decade they played.

Women’s rules and men’s rules are different.
I didn’t know this till I went to an SU women’s game but their ball is smaller.

When i shot the women’s ball it was easier for me to grip and I shot FTs better with it.

These lists are just stupid.
Brianna Stewart is the most accomplished college basketball women’s player ever.

Do the brackets in each region by gender and decade they played.
Have you shopped for a basketball before?

Here's the first line of the article linked above, which is vague about the intent / purpose of the article: Who's the greatest player in college basketball history?

I think you are reading into it, applying that lens -- I view it through a more literal lens about head-to-head play, but I can certainly see how you interpreted it differently.

Last edited:
I don’t get why ESPN tries to pretend the men’s and women’s game are the same sport. They’re completely different and they each value different skill sets. Horseshoeing women into a greatest men’s player bracket just ensures that no woman will get the recognition of being the best to ever play her sport.

It’s just stupid.

Exactly this

Have you shopped for a basketball before?
Nope.
I got them as a gift.
Never bought one.
Never knew their were different sized basketballs. Just thought the brands were different and basically what the ball was covered with(texture).

I shot the smaller ball better.

Nope.
I got them as a gift.
Never bought one.
Never knew their were different sized basketballs. Just thought the brands were different and basically what the ball was covered with(texture).

Of course. Everyone would shoot the ball better with the woman's ball.

Nope.
I got them as a gift.
Never bought one.

Both men's / women's basketballs have different sizes -- primarily to have smaller balls for different ages of children, to make it easier for them to handle / shoot than with a full size, slightly heavier adult ball.

But for adults, the "full size" women's ball is smaller than the men's -- that's why you shot it better, it is smaller and has a greater chance of going in the hoop.

Both men's / women's basketballs have different sizes -- primarily to have smaller balls for different ages of children, to make it easier for them to handle / shoot than with a full size, slightly heavier adult ball.

But for adults, the "full size" women's ball is smaller than the men's -- that's why you shot it better, it is smaller and has a greater chance of going in the hoop.

True in theory and in reality for many people...but not me. I shoot way better with a men’s ball. The women’s ball feels too small, my pinky always feels weird and out of place, and I have visions of what Shaq must’ve felt like shooting a men’s ball on his FTs...which is the last thing you want to envision as you’re shooting.

Why not? He always won the Wooden Award and his team won the championship every year he played.

Ralph Sampson is a 4-seed? :rolleyes:
Sampson is a 4 seed?

He was first team all-American and National POY 3 Times.

Holy chit that is atrocious seeding.
Great job ESPN.

How many women’s players seeded above Sampson were 3 time National POY.

If it’s all about championships.
Then the UConn women should be all the top seeds.