ESPN reporting Notre Dame to ACC over B1G if forced | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN reporting Notre Dame to ACC over B1G if forced

Scooch, why is the B10 so much more attractive to Penn St if the ACC gets ND and redoes their contract. Are you saying that a restructured deal pales in comparison to whatever the B10 can get? Also, wouldn't Penn St like the chance of competing against eastern teams again which caters to their alumni on the coast. I also think Penn St would have a better chance of getting to BCS games in the ACC vs Big10.

Maybe i'm seeing this myopically but i would think it's at least a discussion Penn St should consider now. After all, the 8 teams that they would align with, would be the vision that Paterno had back in 1982 or so.

Syracuse
BC
Penn St
ND
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Miami

The Big Ten prints money like the Fed. The ACC, even with ND, can't match that. Plus Penn State LOVES being in that B10 research consortium. Institutionally PSU is a prototypical Big Ten school, they just happen to be on the eastern fringe geographically.

I do think PSU would have a meeting if they knew ND was in the ACC fold. But there's way to much money and academic pride at stake for them to leave the B10.

The Big Ten prints money like the Fed. The ACC, even with ND, can't match that. Plus Penn State LOVES being in that B10 research consortium. Institutionally PSU is a prototypical Big Ten school, they just happen to be on the eastern fringe geographically.

I do think PSU would have a meeting if they knew ND was in the ACC fold. But there's way to much money and academic pride at stake for them to leave the B10.

Agree with all of that. PSU ain't goin' nowhere.

I think for Syracuse, either/or will be a grandslam: ND/Penn St or ND/UConn. We get something significant from both groupings. Rutgers can eat static.

I would just like to hear the pitch. The part the ACC can't compete with is similar types of schools. Penn State just fits so nicely that way. But it's not like we'd be asking them to join a league with Louisville and WVU, certainly an academic aspect to our new league. As for the money, don't know everything that goes into it, but couldn't this become one of the more lucrative leagues in college football? The entire eastern seaboard is all yours, every bit of it with the ND and PSU additions. Conference championship would have to generate $. Bowl tie ins would be there given ND, everyone wants them, PSU travels, several in climates with close proximity to ACC's southern contingent. And couldn't they pull off an ACC network that's at least competitive with BTN? And I guess the last, but probably least significant part of the discussion is that there has to be a very large part of the PSU fanbase that would want it, they want closer games to attend, love their road games, at least those alums I know are often mentioning this to me.

Yeah, I'm dreaming, but at least it's not in that "let's add ND and PSU to the Big East!" kind of way. I feel like I've finally at least been given something to sell.

LOL. Only if ND is in the fold would Penn State take the call. They'll politely turn an offer down, but they'd take the call.

How's your party going? Missouri and Kansas just showed up on the doorstep? Oh cool. Top shelf stuff? How many kegs? Nice. Let me guess, Ohio State and Michigan are dug in at the beer pong table. Oh haha, Purdue and MSU got skunked huh? Wacky.

Hey, we're road tripping to NYC. No, now. Like right now. ND's down. We're leaving in 15 minutes. You in?

Penn state hates the b10 from the athletic side regardless of the money it might bring in..

ask the coaches how they feel about it.

Dont think ACC can resist the UConn men and womens BBall carrot. I know this is about FB, but SU and Pitt add not much in the scheme of things at this point. Bbll got us in.
The ACC hated hearing about 4 BE in top 10, 10 BE teams in NCAA Tourney, etc

Why isnt WVU being considered for ACC? Is it proximity to Va Tech or SEC goals?

I like RU as a fall back, fans are a pain, but another northern school to make division. Are they really a B10 option? No hurry on ACC invite at this point.

Assuming ND joined (HUGE Assumption I know) but would we still play ND at the Meadowlands if those games become "conference games"? I mean does that contract get renegotiated?

Also, are you with GT? Great to see ACC people posting on the board.

Yessir, I'm your proud ambassador from the Institute (by the way, Georgia Tech is the only football-playing school in the country other than the Academies to not have "College" or "University" in our name).

n12809127_34789380_2146.jpg

A few things:
1. I can't see ND keeping their NBC money if they came on. Equal revenue sharing is sacred to the ACC. I don't see a problem with the ACC having an NBC contract and giving them first rights to broadcast ND home games, but the $$ from such contract would get split 16 ways.

2. I don't see Penn State happening. There is no pull for a team in one of the surviving conferences to move to another. There are just too many other programs scrambling to find a home. Plus why would Swofford want to piss off the B1G offices by poaching from them?

3. West Va just isn't going to be an ACC school. Not going to happen. They don't have the upside of a big TV market or big name program and they have plenty of cultural and academic downside.

4. I think that what would make ND feel forced would be when the B1G expands past 12 without them. Until that happens, I don't think ND moves. Will the ACC fill out to 16 before waiting on that to happen is anyone's guess.

I would just like to hear the pitch. The part the ACC can't compete with is similar types of schools. Penn State just fits so nicely that way. But it's not like we'd be asking them to join a league with Louisville and WVU, certainly an academic aspect to our new league. As for the money, don't know everything that goes into it, but couldn't this become one of the more lucrative leagues in college football? The entire eastern seaboard is all yours, every bit of it with the ND and PSU additions. Conference championship would have to generate $. Bowl tie ins would be there given ND, everyone wants them, PSU travels, several in climates with close proximity to ACC's southern contingent. And couldn't they pull off an ACC network that's at least competitive with BTN? And I guess the last, but probably least significant part of the discussion is that there has to be a very large part of the PSU fanbase that would want it, they want closer games to attend, love their road games, at least those alums I know are often mentioning this to me.

Yeah, I'm dreaming, but at least it's not in that "let's add ND and PSU to the Big East!" kind of way. I feel like I've finally at least been given something to sell.

It is my understanding the CIC (B1G's academic confederation) provides the schools with resources that allow them to more effectively bid on and receive Federal research grants. This creates a relationship between conference schools that would have to be severed that goes beyond athletics. The other obstacle facing the ACC in convincing Penn State to leave the B1G is that the conference controls all of the schools broadcast rights until 2020 or 2025. In other words, even if Penn State moved to the ACC, B1G would have the right to broadcast all of Penn State's home athletic events.

It is my understanding the CIC (B1G's academic confederation) provides the schools with resources that allow them to more effectively bid on and receive Federal research grants. This creates a relationship between conference schools that would have to be severed that goes beyond athletics. The other obstacle facing the ACC in convincing Penn State to leave the B1G is that the conference controls all of the schools broadcast rights until 2020 or 2025. In other words, even if Penn State moved to the ACC, B1G would have the right to broadcast all of Penn State's home athletic events.

The way this reads, the second obstacle would seem bigger than the first, even though both are big. But the second one would seem to be the biggest of all.

Ok, I'm moving on, let's just add ND and stop at 15 for awhile.

OK. so Notre Dame only has 266,935 fans and Rutgers has 607,157 (twice as many as ND). Yea... right. Total BS and propaganda from Rutgers. There is NO way Rutgers has more fans than ND. Not a chance in hell.

OK. so Notre Dame only has 266,935 fans and Rutgers has 607,157 (twice as many as ND). Yea... right. Total BS and propaganda from Rutgers. There is NO way Rutgers has more fans than ND. Not a chance in hell.
That's what I would have guessed. But this is the New York Times. And Rutgers does have a boatload of alums living in the NYC TV market.

That's what I would have guessed. But this is the New York Times. And Rutgers does have a boatload of alums living in the NYC TV market.

This was discussed in a previous post. Hope I get it right. The 'data' used in that survey was taken from internet surveys - in other words, the respondents opted in on their own. They were not a demographically/geographically reasonably distributed sample. So when you take an unreasonable sample and extrapolate it to population size, you get an unreliable result.

Scooch, et al - did I come close to a coherent explanation?

That same data says Ga Tech has the most fans in Atlanta. I live here and am one and I can tell you that's not even close to right.

I imagine the veracity of this Notre Dame report is right up there with Notre Dame saying they had no clue Syracuse and Pitt were leaving. I think it was established on this board that wasn't believable, correct? This is just leveraging...

I imagine the veracity of this Notre Dame report is right up there with Notre Dame saying they had no clue Syracuse and Pitt were leaving. I think it was established on this board that wasn't believable, correct? This is just leveraging...
So you are saying the B10 is the preferred destination?

So you are saying the B10 is the preferred destination?

That wasn't what I was saying entirely, but yes, I have always felt that way. And it's been shown by their actions since they've several times tried to become associate members, even at least once since their joining the Big East. The Big Ten obviously wanted no part of associate members but point is, if (when) this all shakes out, I'll be shocked if Notre Dame is a full member in any other conference.

ESPN's Andy Katz is reporting that Notre Dame will go to the ACC over the B1G if forced to give up their football independence. My question is, what does "forced" mean? Give up their NBC TV revenue? View their position as too weak in a world of 4 superconferences?

That said, UConn and Notre Dame for #15 and #16? From what I've seen here, it seems that you guys would prefer to leave Rutgers out in the cold even if it didn't mean getting ND.

What about WVU?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom