ESPN reporting Notre Dame to ACC over B1G if forced | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN reporting Notre Dame to ACC over B1G if forced

Andy Katz just said what I think we all expected, that Notre Dame absolutely does NOT want to join a conference, and in fact will only do so if it looks like they won't have a seat at the BCS table unless they join a league. I'm thinking it's not going to happen.

Couldn't the ACC allow Notre Dame to keep their NBC contract? Why would that be a bad thing for the conference?

It would put the conference in a difficult position to negotiate other tv deals. Imagine being another network and being told if The best conference game of the week involves Notre Dame, NBC gets it.

Andy Katz is not always correct, he had Texas as a lock in the ACC last week. He talks to hear himself talk or spew the ESPN line they want him to spew. Based on his recent record, you can almost bet the B1G is ND's preferred choice if forced to make a choice. I still believe that ND and teh BE leftovers make something work for a 5th AQ conference, likely some merger (under whatever banner/name) with the B12 leftovers.

uconn and nd is a nice compromise. aligning with nd in a conference would be pretty cool...and uconn brings basketball. rutgers is a complete waste other than some crazy geographical theory that they're aligned with nyc. they bring zero other than a blowhardedness that's incredibly disproportional to what they've ever achieved in any sport other than women's basketball.

Inviting Rutgers to the ACC is like inviting Snooki to your grandmother's for Thanksgiving dinner.

First choice: ND & UConn
2nd choice: UConn & Rutgers - it just makes too much sense, regardless of how some fans might feel about it. It locks up the entire Eastern seaboard from Fl to Mass.
Its just good business, nothing personal. :noidea:

This was discussed in a previous post. Hope I get it right. The 'data' used in that survey was taken from internet surveys - in other words, the respondents opted in on their own. They were not a demographically/geographically reasonably distributed sample. So when you take an unreasonable sample and extrapolate it to population size, you get an unreliable result.

Scooch, et al - did I come close to a coherent explanation?

It's a wonderful mix of craptastic methodology. Non-scientific internet polls on top of google search data to determine market "interest" on top of randomly assigning markets to nearby teams... it's just awful.

That's what I would have guessed. But this is the New York Times. And Rutgers does have a boatload of alums living in the NYC TV market.

:rolling:

First choice: ND & UConn
2nd choice: UConn & Rutgers - it just makes too much sense, regardless of how some fans might feel about it. It locks up the entire Eastern seaboard from Fl to Mass.
Its just good business, nothing personal. :noidea:

Imagine if 2nd Choice was:

UCONN & Temple

...Rutgers is snubbed which just feels good to say...

... and Villanova and their mickey-mouse football stadium lose Philly market to the Owls in the ACC.

Add the ACC B-Ball tourney to MSG the first year and we'd prolly get Tranghese or Marinatto crying on camera...

Kidding, of course... :D But Temple is no longer your Father's Temple and Golden is probably bumming he ever left...

That's what I would have guessed. But this is the New York Times. And Rutgers does have a boatload of alums living in the NYC TV market.
Why are you lowering yourself to posting on a Syracuse board?

It would put the conference in a difficult position to negotiate other tv deals. Imagine being another network and being told if The best conference game of the week involves Notre Dame, NBC gets it.

Well it would only be the home ND games, so at most 4 games per year. And ND would still have to play the ditch diggers too (ND-Wake or ND-Duke in South Bend isn't going to be ACC game of the week). You get all ND away games (conference and OOC), you get ND if they're in the Conference Championship.

ACC already has a pretty good deal without them. I would think adding them partially should increase the deal, and could be a win for ND to keep their contract.

Biggest obstacles for ND I would think, even if allowed to keep NBC money, is they lose scheduling flexibility. They have to give up some long time opponents. And does being in a conference risk the NBC deal altogether in the future?

It's a wonderful mix of craptastic methodology. Non-scientific internet polls on top of google search data to determine market "interest" on top of randomly assigning markets to nearby teams... it's just awful.

Do you realize that some multi-billion dollar companies use SEO tools on Google to advertise online based on Silver's exact methodology? That absolutely is a tried and true method. You know what's interesting? He stated in the article that Birmingham shows five times more search traffic on college football than New York City. The reason that's interesting is because that is actually the exact ratio that Birmingham's metered market drew viewers in proportion to New York City for bowl games the last few years. It's anecdotal, but it actually fits. Birmingham drew around a 12 rating for bowls the last few years, whereas NYC was in the 2.0-2.5 range.

As far as the markets... he didn't assign anything. It was based on the survey results and extrapolated the geographical data to fit the search traffic by market. There wasn't any randomness to it.

I still agree with the issues regarding the internet survey. There are flaws there because of selection. However, the rest of the methodology isn't really flawed if the initial survey were considered sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom