ESPN top 100 NBA prospects | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN top 100 NBA prospects

I suggest you get over this line of thinking. The players owe you and all fans absolutely nothing.
What should that matter? Being a fan is a self-indulgent exercise. It's not about achieving inner peace with the rest of the world. We're allowed to be disappointed. I'll decide when I want to 'get over it'.

I'm with you. It felt different losing Jonny Flynn than Tyler Lydon.
If you're referring to accomplishments, Flynn didn't take us to a FF but his last season felt a heck of a lot more exciting than Lydon's bubble team.

What should that matter? Being a fan is a self-indulgent exercise. It's not about achieving inner peace with the rest of the world. We're allowed to be disappointed. I'll decide when I want to 'get over it'.

Ok then...continue to set yourself up to be disappointed when kids leave early because they prefer to be paid to play basketball and chase their dreams. I see too many people on here get bent out of shape when someone leaves early to pursue their dreams of playing in the NBA. Too much enjoy the G league or playing in Europe.

Here is the good spin: we keep producing NBA players. Come to Cuse, get to the league. We are putting guys in the league and they are making it.

I would like to see a list of the players who have left early over the past 5 years and where are they now. To lazy to do it myself.

Based on performance YTD and the schedule the rest of the year, I think both are back in Orange
Not that I disagree with you...but i would take a bet that at least one of the two is gone next year.

I know it's frustrating as an SU fan to have players leave early, but do people not realize that Syracuse is just the vehicle to get to the NBA?

Have you watched our team this year and thought, "you know what, this offense, in its current form, is exactly like they are running in the NBA and our guys will be prepared".

The 2-3 zone matters.

Having to deal with school work instead of having all day to focus on basketball matters.

And this isn't just our team, every team complains about players leaving early. They deal with most of the same stuff.

Here is the good spin: we keep producing NBA players. Come to Cuse, get to the league. We are putting guys in the league and they are making it.

BTW, so we can avoid this next year, let's say OB comes back. We could lose: DB, JC, OB and Marek (I always consider him a flight risk to back to being a pro after any year). This will keep happening.

I may get some chit for this but I could care a less how many Cuse guys get to the league. I care about Syracuse, first and foremost, and winning games, being ranked, winning conference tournament games, deep NCAA runs, etc. And, every team isn't losing players as you allude, certainly not underclassmen as in freshman or sophs. Look at 'Nova, West Virginia, UVA, UNC, just to name a few. Give me these aforementioned teams/type players every day of the week and twice on Sundays. They are continuously ranked and relevant, something we haven't been lately.

For years SU was near/at the top of their respective league, won many conference tournaments, deep NCAA runs, and we didn't place many guys in the NBA...as traditionally we've been a program type school. And, guys that are leaving after their freshman year, even their sophomore years, aren't doing so primarily because of SU and its coaching prowess. No different than Coach K or Calapari is putting its players in the NBA, they are getting there because of their sheer talent and skill set, one and done stature, etc.

As far as making it, well, again, with such short stints at SU, they're hardly "making it" because they came here. Is "making it" just being in the league, or a guy who has some longevity, say 5 years after leaving, he's still in the NBA? But yeah, 'good spin' for sure.

Last edited:
If a player leaves early, it would be nice to have seen the talent he is suppose to have. Richardson, exhibited that during the turny. Lydon often times during his 2 years. Even Donte Green seem to show more talent than OB has. Let OB actually make closer to 30% of his 3's and 50% of his drives then I think he might have some talent. What he is now is the 3rd best offensive threat on a team that barely score.

As far as making it, well, again, with such short stints at SU, they're hardly "making it" because they came here. Is "making it" just being in the league, or a guy who has some longevity, say 5 years after leaving, he's still in the NBA? But yeah, 'good spin' for sure.
Because just "making it" in the NBA is pretty easy, right? Surely we can find more players willing to defer their NBA careers for a few years for the sake of old SU, right? Afterall, the more these kids develop their games in college, the longer and more lucrative their NBA careers will be, right? It's just so damn easy. Why can't everyone see this?

Last edited:
I may get some chit for this but I could care a less how many Cuse guys get to the league. I care about Syracuse, first and foremost, and winning games, being ranked, winning conference tournament games, deep NCAA runs, etc. And, every team isn't losing players as you allude, certainly not underclassmen as in freshman or sophs. Look at 'Nova, West Virginia, UVA, UNC, just to name a few. Give me these aforementioned teams/type players every day of the week and twice on Sundays. They are continuously ranked and relevant, something we haven't been lately.

For years SU was near/at the top of their respective league, won many conference tournaments, deep NCAA runs, and we didn't place many guys in the NBA...as traditionally we've been a program type school. And, guys that are leaving after their freshman year, even their sophomore years, aren't doing so primarily because of SU and its coaching prowess. No different than Coach K or Calapari is putting its players in the NBA, they are getting there because of their sheer talent and skill set, one and done stature, etc.

You are a 18 or 19 year old kid, would you rather get paid to play basketball or play for free? Take the selfish SU fan part out of it ( I get it). I'm guessing most of these kids dream of playing in the NBA and making millions and not playing at the college level for a free education.

Have we not learned this yet? It doesn't matter if Brissett is ready. All that matter is if he has the potential. He's more skilled than Jeremy Grant was as a sophomore. Based on recent history, that sounds like mid second round to me.

I'm almost done caring. The idea of watching someone with potential mature into a star is dead along with the fun that goes with it.

He’s more skilled than grant as a sophomore ? What skills are you referring to ? Getting packed more often than a pancake ?

You are a 18 or 19 year old kid, would you rather get paid to play basketball or play for free? Take the selfish SU fan part out of it ( I get it). I'm guessing most of these kids dream of playing in the NBA and making millions and not playing at the college level for a free education.

Yet at other schools they stay

Couldn't be. I was told by people here that OB isn't an NBA prospect.

It's almost as if people don't watch or follow the NBA.

I'm sure we all remember an ex-SU player by the name of C.J. Fair. Obviously when Fair came to SU the team was much better than this year's team so he only played about 18.6 minutes per game compared to OB being forced to play close to 40 minutes every night. But I would take C.J. over OB any day of the week. And C.J. went undrafted and barely had a cup of coffee in the NBA. I like OB but he has shown little potential to getting to the NBA. A long time to go though.

If you're referring to accomplishments, Flynn didn't take us to a FF but his last season felt a heck of a lot more exciting than Lydon's bubble team.
I got to see Flynn look like an elite college player and sometimes take over games. That felt more satisfying than Lydon's career.

He’s more skilled than grant as a sophomore ? What skills are you referring to ? Getting packed more often than a pancake ?
Do you remember watching Grant shoot or dribble? I don't either. He was a two dribble and dunk guy.

Yeah cause Lydon wasn't a large part of a FF run or anything like that.
That was a great run preceded by a sucky season. I don't judge a season solely based on the tournament. 19-13 and 9-9 in conference before the tournament isn't erased by 4-1 in the tournament, and 11.6 ppg with 7.4 rpg over two years are not the numbers of a college star. Do I blame him for getting paid? No. But as a fan, it's more disappointing to see those guys leave early than it is to see the guys that have dominated.

Don't see either of these guys moving much lower, unless, by some miracle we surprisingly make the tournament again as a 10 or 11 seed and one of these guys pulls a Mali. It seems like it was just yesterday when worrying about guys leaving was at top 15 or so, then to anywhere in the first round...now it's has deluded to the 2nd round. Peculiar trend...

It's not really a peculiar trend, its very predictable. Kids aren't going to college to get an education and play basketball while doing so. They are going to play basketball and because that is currently the route to playing professionally.

The bs about this guy or that guy isn't ready yet, is just that, bs. If someone is going to pay them, and they would prefer to play for pay, then they are ready.

The problem is that the NCAA shouldn't be serving as professional basketball's minor league and scouting service. But, in their never ending pursuit of the almight $, they will continue to bend over for the NBA.

. I like OB but he has shown little potential to getting to the NBA. A long time to go though.
All it takes is one team to like him and he is gonzo. And all they care of about is his potential. They don't care about 2017-18.

Have you watched the games so far?

Mainly sarcasm for the folks here who said he was our best player since Melo before the season and think isolation scoring is still the ticket to the NBA.

All it takes is one team to like him and he is gonzo. And all they care of about is his potential. They don't care about 2017-18.
I certainly agree. McCullough quickly comes to mind. Barely played and was a 1st round draft choice. But OB hasn't shown that type of potential -- yet. Was rebounding well until recently. Shooting has been inconsistent all year long. You look at his game and he does not do anything exceptionally well. Last game he did not force things on offense and took only 8 shots. Marked improvement.

Not that I disagree with you...but i would take a bet that at least one of the two is gone next year.

i agree with you , was just reporting was i have heard, seems like every year is another story or issue, if kids can go in the 1st round, they should go,

i read someone mention Oshae & Jerami Grant in the same sentence, personally i do not think they are even close, Grant is freakish althletic, while Oshae is super athletic, he is not at the level of Grant and they say he is 6.8, to me he looks at best 6.7, Grant is much taller; now they are asking a ton more of Oshae during his FR year vs. JG FR year, but Grant has NBA DNA, OSHAE needs to focus on making layups

Because just "making it" in the NBA is pretty easy, right? Surely we can find more players willing to defer their NBA careers for a few years for the sake of old SU, right? Afterall, the more these kids develop their games in college, the longer and more lucrative their NBA careers will be, right? It's just so damn easy. Why can't everyone see this?

I never said that, please show me where in my post I said anything about it being easy. The "making it" comment was responding to MikeSU that referenced; "we are putting guys in the league and they're making it." The premise of my retort was that SU has nothing or very little to putting these guys in the NBA, and/or making it. They "make it" because of their sheer talent, skills, etc. Their stints here are very short, too short in my opinion for SU to take the main credit. But sure, good spin...absolutely as MikeSU implies. Again, no different than K or Calapari saying come to Duke or UK and you're guaranteed to make the league. They'd be in the league out of high school if they didn't have to go to school for a year. They are basically a student for one semester...

I'm not saying they shouldn't go, the money is clearly too much incentive. All the power to them. I just don't like the one/two and done/early underclassman departures (looking at it purely as a fan of SU basketball) and wish they could/would go right out of high school. And, that I'd much rather have a roster like the teams I mentioned above, than a bunch that bolt shortly after they get here, with most of them not making much of any dent relative to Syracuse lore.

Again, I understand why they do it, it's pure and simple. I (as a Syracuse basketball fan and the emphasis of my original post) don't care much about what they do in the NBA, etc., I'm a fan of Syracuse University. Now, that shouldn't in anyway get construed to implying that I don't want them to be successful, or that I'm looking for them to fail, etc. But, it's Orange that I bleed for, not the individual player.