ESPN top 100 NBA prospects | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN top 100 NBA prospects

Stars get a better market price in the MLB. If the NBA had no max salary it would be impossible to create super teams because Steph Curry or Lebron would be getting paid 50 plus million a year and eat up a larger percentage of the cap. In the MLB there is no max salary. In baseball you have guys who make 4o million and guys who make 500K.

There's no max salary but you pay a tax over a certain level.

Because the NBA is competitive as heck and if Team A gets the next Steph before Team B - they'd do it. Team A doesn't gain any advantage by drafting a Greg Oden while Team B drafts Aron Affalo 26 spots later. A team can guarantee themselves a specific player if they draft them before "they're ready" but if a player blows up, it's too late and it's subject to the draft.

Pro baseball teams routinely sign kids as young as 15 (he said he was 16, I swear) so that they can get them under control before another team can.

I guess that depends on your definition of competitive. It's so competitive, that for three straight years everyone predicted with a high degree of certainty that it was going to be the Cavs and the Warriors in the Finals.

How would the game be better if Tomas Sataronsky was making $10 million a year instead of $2 million?

And the NBA does have a max on individual player salary, unlike MLB

Wall is going to make more per season than Bryce Harper (likely) will.

Because the NBA is competitive as heck and if Team A gets the next Steph before Team B - they'd do it. Team A doesn't gain any advantage by drafting a Greg Oden while Team B drafts Aron Affalo 26 spots later. A team can guarantee themselves a specific player if they draft them before "they're ready" but if a player blows up, it's too late and it's subject to the draft.

Pro baseball teams routinely sign kids as young as 15 (he said he was 16, I swear) so that they can get them under control before another team can.

The Sixers have guaranteed themselves a few guys who haven't or might never work out. Likely because of their youth.

I guess that depends on your definition of competitive. It's so competitive, that for three straight years everyone predicted with a high degree of certainty that it was going to be the Cavs and the Warriors in the Finals.
That's not the competition. The real competition is to make the most profit, still operate under the rules of the collective bargaining agreement, and win a few games so that the fan base doesn't completely turn on the team.

Risk isn't unique to the NBA.

Oh I get it and there are so many more factors at play. If you just (impossibly) boiled it down to pure basketball, there's less risk with a more mature person and game. Maybe a Malachi blows up, maybe he's churn. Maybe a CMAC gains 40 pounds, maybe never.

Wall is going to make more per season than Bryce Harper (likely) will.

He might, the NBA roster is less than half the size (including the 40 man roster for MLB). Also, Wall makes $45 million in what, 2023? Would be surprised if there isn't an MLB player making that much in 5 years.

The Sixers have guaranteed themselves a few guys who haven't or might never work out. Likely because of their youth.

There were draft busts when guys went to college for 4 years too. Agree there were probably fewer. (Actually that would be an interesting study)

He might, the NBA roster is less than half the size (including the 40 man roster for MLB). Also, Wall makes $45 million in what, 2023? Would be surprised if there isn't an MLB player making that much in 5 years.

There were draft busts when guys went to college for 4 years too. Agree there were probably fewer. (Actually that would be an interesting study)

MLB owners seem to be coming around to batting 290 with 33 dingers is only worth so much esp since the timeframe is so limited.

There are always busts. More curious about injuries. Going from 33 games and marginal travel to 82 and a lot of travel at that age.

MLB owners seem to be coming around to batting 290 with 33 dingers is only worth so much esp since the timeframe is so limited.

There are always busts. More curious about injuries. Going from 33 games and marginal travel to 82 and a lot of travel at that age.

The injuries is an interesting one too. They're doing a lot more now to try and combat this stuff, resting players, limiting minutes, etc.

I throw this fact out every once in a while, still blows my mind. In 1998, Michael Jordan was 34, and played every game of the season, averaging 38.8 minutes per game. that would seem crazy now. (though maybe Lebron is gonna get somewhere close this year, i think hes missed a few games)

The NBA doesn’t allow teams like Boston last year win a championship.
I don’t mind the salary cap and wish it were a hard cap and was higher with a salary minimum floor cap.

Teams like the Wizards/Raptors now aren’t going to win championships.
They have multiple Allstars you have to give max money too. However they kill your chances to get better depth as they trade draft picks as well.

He's still a very talented scorer, but his game hasn't rounded itself out the way people were hoping IMO. 3 point shot has fallen off this year and he still brings nearly nothing to the table outside of scoring, which hasn't been nearly as efficient as he was as a freshman.

2017 SI.com

“Players were able to enter the draft out of high school until the one-and-done rule went into effect in 2006. Some of the league's best players in the last decade came into the league straight from high school, including Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwight Howard and Kevin Garnett. But the one-and-done rule was established due to growing concerns that players were entering the league without the personal maturity necessary to serve as good ambassadors for the NBA.

What has resulted is a college basketball landscape dominated by players who have no intention to stay in school beyond the one requisite year before entering the draft. Ten of the first 11 picks in the 2017 draft were college freshman, while the lone non one-and-done player was Frank Ntilikina, who played professionally in France before making the move to the NBA.

Silver is reportedly considering proposing a change that would allow players to enter the draft out of high school but force them to remain in college for two years if they do enter school. It would be a similar standard to the one in place for the MLB draft; players are allowed to turn professional out of high school, but must remain in college for three years once they enroll.”

Are any out there who agrees with Silver like I do? To me, if the rule stays as it is, from a player’s perspective it’s all about how much money I am going to make after spending one year in college and that player knows exactly how much if he is drafted in the first round top three. If a kid has the talent of a Carmelo Anthony it’s a no brainer, he’s going to help the NBA team that drafts him and himself. If it’s changed he has to go out of high school like LeBron, Kobe, etc.

To me Battle and Brissett are far from NBA caliber stock. They’ll end up drafted low and wind up playing in Des Moines Iowa or Europe.

We watch players with talent but not highly talented enough to make a difference for an NBA team. And, we watch very good players who are great college players hoping they will stay and help SU win and make the NCAA’s year after year - yet most, with the rule as it is, get out for the money as soon as possible and I do not fault them. The money is there and if they watch their money they could be set for life.

I, however, am selfish. I’d like to see the standard be the same as MLB. If JB recruits a Bazley or two or three, I want them to stay for 2 - 3 years, enjoy watching them develop and hopefully enjoy our participation in the post season. I want the rule changed back the way it was. Either go to the NBA out of high school or not. The ready for NBA players and the NBA know who those players are OR commit to a high major school and like MLB you’re there for 3 years to develop your talent and skills and you get free marketing, maturity along with it and we get to enjoy seeing those players at that level for more than the now requisite “one – and - done” – I for one am tired of hearing it and seeing it happen.

The NBA doesn’t allow teams like Boston last year win a championship.
I don’t mind the salary cap and wish it were a hard cap and was higher with a salary minimum floor cap.

Teams like the Wizards/Raptors now aren’t going to win championships.
They have multiple Allstars you have to give max money too. However they kill your chances to get better depth as they trade draft picks as well.

Every time I start to feel that way that teams like those will never win, you get a 2004 Detroit Pistons, or 2011 Dallas Mavericks. It’s rare, but on occasion it happens.

Mike nailed it when he said Syracuse is the pit stop to where they want to be.

Syracuse was the pit stop for me as well, back in the late 88's. A marvelous pit stop it was.

Tyus Battle 47
Oshae Brissett 48

and i read in food and wine magazine that Chukwu's jumping to the CHEW !

carla-hall-300x400.jpg

Not the most reputable but nbadraft.net has Brissett going #7 overall in their 2019 mock. Battle & Howard :confused: going mid 2nd at 40 & 41 respectively. The Howard inclusion basically negates any & all credibility but just thought I'd share.

2019 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

Not the most reputable but nbadraft.net has Brissett going #7 overall in their 2019 mock. Battle & Howard :confused: going mid 2nd at 40 & 41 respectively. The Howard inclusion basically negates any & all credibility but just thought I'd share.

if brissett goes 7 in an nba draft, then that means N. korea won

the NBA needs to do the NHL thing.. draft them out of HS or after the 3rd year.. if they make the big team pay them, of they dont put them on the minor league team and give them the small bonus money, then the kid decides whether he wants to go or not and the teams hold the rights for the 3 yrs. it has saved hockey for years letting kids play after they get drafted.

The 2nd round in the year ahead mock usually doesn't include foreign dudes so they just have to pile up guys with any kind of potential to fill slots in that one.

Why would including Howard negate credibility? He's been by far our best shooter and is suited to be a 2 guard.

I don't see how it's crazy to have him as a mid second rounder.

Why would including Howard negate credibility? He's been by far our best shooter and is suited to be a 2 guard.

I don't see how it's crazy to have him as a mid second rounder.
I guess it's not insane but I'd be shocked if he was drafted. Just not sure shooting 36% from 3 is enough to overcome his dribbling/decision making deficiencies, even as a SG. He also lacks NBA-level finishing ability. His size could intrigue teams but I just don't see a single NBA-level skill. Solid college player who I think has great chance at All-ACC next year.

I guess it's not insane but I'd be shocked if he was drafted. Just not sure shooting 36% from 3 is enough to overcome his dribbling/decision making deficiencies, even as a SG. He also lacks NBA-level finishing ability. His size could intrigue teams but I just don't see a single NBA-level skill. Solid college player who I think has good chance at All-ACC next year.

I'm not sure he gets drafted either but it woildnt shock me.

I'm starting to get to the point where he's more attractive to me than Battle is as a prospect.

The only things I see Battle being better than Howard at is finishing, maybe a little bit more athletic, and being younger.

It's a lot easier as a fan to lose players early if they actually accomplish something while in a Syracuse uniform. Give us a great regular season, a deep run in the conf tourney or NCAAs, or any combination of the above.
Fans can't be trusted with this.

The response to Malachi declaring for the draft proved it.

I'm not sure he gets drafted either but it woildnt shock me.

I'm starting to get to the point where he's more attractive to me than Battle is as a prospect.

The only things I see Battle being better than Howard at is finishing, maybe a little bit more athletic, and being younger.
Battle is also much better at creating his own shot &, IMO, would be the better on-ball M2M defender but I agree, the gap between he & Frank has shrunken this year. Frank makes poor decisions & struggles to dribble against even token pressure but Battle isn't asked to do either as much so it's harder to compare. I personally don't see Battle ever contributing in the NBA & I'm not even convinced that he'd make a roster.