ESPN top 100 NBA prospects | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN top 100 NBA prospects

Do you remember watching Grant shoot or dribble? I don't either. He was a two dribble and dunk guy.

Even if I agree with your premise .. which I don’t... isn’t two dribbles and a dunk more skill than 5 dribbles and getting your weak sauce swatted back into your face ?

Gone and gone. Our streak will stay alive (hopefully) but they gone either way.

Couldn't be. I was told by people here that OB isn't an NBA prospect.

It's almost as if people don't watch or follow the NBA.[/QUOTE

He isnt a prospect - at 48 ur not a prospect - u can participate in a tryout with about a 5% chance of making a team

Even if I agree with your premise .. which I don’t... isn’t two dribbles and a dunk more skill than 5 dribbles and getting your weak sauce swatted back into your face ?

When Oshae gets a contract like Jerami is going to get this off-season then i will agree with you, until then it is not close, Jerami making coin this summer

It's pretty easy to see why Syracuse's early departures are a bit more frustrating than some other schools. If you want to tell fans to shut up and be ok with it, fine...but don't be mad when people stop showing up for games.

Bottom Line - We send a lot of kids to the NBA. We're also wildly erratic, not very good lately and our early departures are G-League/Role Players. We're not sending Melo's to the league anymore. Dion is the closest thing to a name player and at least he balled out while at Cuse. For the most part we send Grant's, Wes Johnson's and McCullough's to the league and now we're sending those guys from NIT teams.

It's pretty easy to see why that frustrates fans. Don't get me wrong, I don't fault the players at all but it doesn't exactly feel like we get our money's worth compared to the early departures of our peer programs.

It's pretty easy to see why Syracuse's early departures are a bit more frustrating than some other schools. If you want to tell fans to shut up and be ok with it, fine...but don't be mad when people stop showing up for games.

Bottom Line - We send a lot of kids to the NBA. We're also wildly erratic, not very good lately and our early departures are G-League/Role Players. We're not sending Melo's to the league anymore. Dion is the closest thing to a name player and at least he balled out while at Cuse. For the most part we send Grant's, Wes Johnson's and McCullough's to the league and now we're sending those guys from NIT teams.

It's pretty easy to see why that frustrates fans. Don't get me wrong, I don't fault the players at all but it doesn't exactly feel like we get our money's worth compared to the early departures of our peer programs.

I can only speak for myself, but the frustrating thing to me is that we are recruiting guys who have good enough POTENTIAL to go in the first round, but they aren't highly enough rated / skilled enough for the most part to actualize that potential during their one year in Orange, so they bail before ever making much of an impact.

Now, obviously Ennis made an impact. Mali made an impact, especially in that NCAA game. I'm just saying that those guys generally haven't been "good enough" to put the team on their backs and propel us to a different level, a la Carmelo, and then they're gone.

We're recruiting guys who have the right tools to be attractive to the NBA, but they're not players of the caliber [generally] where their impact is commensurate with their draft potential.

When Oshae gets a contract like Jerami is going to get this off-season then i will agree with you, until then it is not close, Jerami making coin this summer
This is the second time I've heard about all the money Jerami is going to make this off season. Why? He plays 20 minutes a game, averages 7 points 3.5 rebounds and shoots 24% from 3. Just about what he has done for 3 1/2 years. Why does that make a player "coin"?

I totally take your point, that's just an interesting turn of phrase.

I think this has been brought up before, but probably a lot of is has to do with the kind of recruits we're getting. In a lot of cases, recruiting in like the 15-50ish range (which seems to be where we are more often than not) is kind of like limbo. Obviously the absolute best one and done players are the top ten guys, and we rarely get those guys. And then the guys past 50, they almost never go after a year or two, so you get them for 3-4 years and they can develop together. Whereas we get guys in the zone where if a few things break right for the player, they can go, but they may not have a massive impact on the team in their year there.

Also not sure how to evaluate a guy like Malachi; who was right in the middle of the range I was talking about, had an ok regular season, but also took us to the final four.

This is the second time I've heard about all the money Jerami is going to make this off season. Why? He plays 20 minutes a game, averages 7 points 3.5 rebounds and shoots 24% from 3. Just about what he has done for 3 1/2 years. Why does that make a player "coin"?

I share your same sentiment. In answering your question, it's because of the ludicrous TV contracts/CBA agreements. It's why a guy like a Tristan Thompson for the Cavs gets a 100 million dollar contract, a JR Smith, a Hardaway Jr. for the Knicks, and on and on get an absurd amount of coin. It's a complete joke. These guys are getting paid like they're superstars and they are nothing more than role players. It's completely out of hand.

I share your same sentiment. In answering your question, it's because of the ludicrous TV contracts/CBA agreements. It's why a guy like a Tristan Thompson for the Cavs gets a 100 million dollar contract, a JR Smith, a Hardaway Jr. for the Knicks, and on and on get an absurd amount of coin. It's a complete joke. These guys are getting paid like they're superstars and they are nothing more than role players. It's completely out of hand.

While I know what you're trying to say... Tristan and JR are on a (well supposed to be) championship level team and were key contributors. Hardaway JR had a successful season prior to his contract. You should get a good laugh out of Solomon Hill and his 4.2 PPG and 2.8 RPG took his talents to the Pelicans. 4YR/48M ... Averaging 7 and 4! Great ROI!!!!

Edit - Thompsons contract still stinks out loud, though.

It's the NBA collective bargaining agreement. And math. The players received approximately 49-50% of the revenue (pool of money). There are salary caps and roster limits (15 active players x 30 teams = 450 players). Not all players earn the same, no where near close, but money has to go somewhere.

And frankly, who gives a crap? Who are you to say someone is overpaid? If I start a company that has 50 employees and we can generate revenues of $500 million, why is it such an issue if we pay the entry level talent $1m a year?

It's the NBA collective bargaining agreement. And math. The players received approximately 49-50% of the revenue (pool of money). There are salary caps and roster limits (15 active players x 30 teams = 450 players). Not all players earn the same, no where near close, but money has to go somewhere.

And frankly, who gives a crap? Who are you to say someone is overpaid? If I start a company that has 50 employees and we can generate revenues of $500 million, why is it such an issue if we pay the entry level talent $1m a year?

I'm a Knicks fan. If my options are Tim Hardaway Jr gets money or James Dolan does, guess which one I'm going to go with

John Wall, as the guys on the radio said, is gonna make around 45 mil in the last year or two each of his contract. That's just ridiculous.

I don't understand why the NBA (ok - I understand $$$ who) wants to draft teenagers and hopefully they develop in a couple of years while paying them. Colleges can do that for free and the NBA gets a more of a fully formed adult instead of guys with fake IDs.

John Wall, as the guys on the radio said, is gonna make around 45 mil in the last year or two each of his contract. That's just ridiculous.

I don't understand why the NBA (ok - I understand $$$ who) wants to draft teenagers and hopefully they develop in a couple of years while paying them. Colleges can do that for free and the NBA gets a more of a fully formed adult instead of guys with fake IDs.

Because they would have to pay over the hill veterans more money with less potential ROI.

All teams must spend a certain amount of money to fill 15 roster spots.

Because they would have to pay over the hill veterans more money with less potential ROI.

All teams must spend a certain amount of money to fill 15 roster spots.

And that's what MLB is figuring out. The NBA union, doesn't seem to help those guys (crushes it for the stars though). I mean a guy like Wall can still make 35 million and some veteran backup PG makes the balance and the game itself would be actually better.

This is an interesting question, and I think there's an interesting answer. To start with, obviously for any individual team, it makes sense to draft the 19-year-old if he is in the draft and the best player available.

But the NBA, collectively, can stop that from happening - it could require players to wait 2, 3, or 4 years from high school graduation, let them develop in college, and benefit from a lot of free marketing. So the better question is why doesn't the NBA do that? And there you have to account for two sides - the Players Association and the League. From the players' perspective, there is an obvious principled objection to this rule - the players wouldn't want to be forced to play amateur ball. On the other hand, the players who are actually in the Player's Association at any given time benefit from keeping young guys out of the league and away from their job. So you could imagine some openness to further restrictions on the players' side. But why doesn't the League push hard for this?

I think part of the answer is that the League is concerned about destroying those parts of college basketball that are good for the NBA. Force players to wait three years to go pro, many of them are not just going to say "cool, cool, I'll do an extra two years of sociology"; they're going to find ways out - to the G League, abroad, to yet-unformed options. And in not too long, most of the NBA players aren't going to be playing in college. Instead, they're going to be spending near-prime years playing in Sioux Falls or Shanghai. So those marketing benefits you tried to get go away and you're risking creating competition for yourself.

I think the NBA would like to implement a 2 year rule.

I also think the NBA believes, rightly or wrongly, that at some point, the players are going to develop better int he NBA than in college.

Why shouldn't John Wall make $45 million a year? The revenue is being generated. The team isn't going bankrupt by paying him. if anything, the value of the team has skyrocketed.

And that's what MLB is figuring out. The NBA union, doesn't seem to help those guys (crushes it for the stars though). I mean a guy like Wall can still make 35 million and some veteran backup PG makes the balance and the game itself would be actually better.

How would the game be better if Tomas Sataronsky was making $10 million a year instead of $2 million?

And the NBA does have a max on individual player salary, unlike MLB

I don't understand why the NBA (ok - I understand $$$ who) wants to draft teenagers and hopefully they develop in a couple of years while paying them.
Because the NBA is competitive as heck and if Team A gets the next Steph before Team B - they'd do it. Team A doesn't gain any advantage by drafting a Greg Oden while Team B drafts Aron Affalo 26 spots later. A team can guarantee themselves a specific player if they draft them before "they're ready" but if a player blows up, it's too late and it's subject to the draft.

Pro baseball teams routinely sign kids as young as 15 (he said he was 16, I swear) so that they can get them under control before another team can.

Well, that mindset of yours in why your overhead is $550 million. ;):) I doubt very much ESPN is presently loving those foolish exorbitant TV contracts...but hey, yeah the player's/employees certainly are.

Stars get a better market price in the MLB. If the NBA had no max salary it would be impossible to create super teams because Steph Curry or Lebron would be getting paid 50 plus million a year and eat up a larger percentage of the cap. In the MLB there is no max salary. In baseball you have guys who make 4o million and guys who make 500K.

Well, that mindset of yours in why your overhead is $550 million. ;):) I doubt very much ESPN is presently loving those foolish exorbitant TV contracts...but hey, yeah the player's/employees certainly are.

The employers are loving it too

NBA is doing pretty well ratings wise too. I wonder if ESPN would dump the contract if they could. I doubt it, but i dunno